You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi all from East Toronto
07-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi all from East Toronto
Hello everyone!!

Although I have been going fishing for many years and enjoy it very much I would classify myself as an inexperienced fisherman simply due to the fact that I rarely manage to catch anything.

I have decided to join the forum to hopefully help me reduce the persistent frustrations of never being able to hook a fish. It is slowly beginning to take they joy and excitement of fishing away from me. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting to have every outing result in game fish after game fish. But, catching nothing season after season is taking it's toll.

For now, I would just like to say hello and go through some of the previous posts. Hopefully I can get a few discussions going and get advice on how to make fishing exciting again!

Thanks,
Alex
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2013, 12:28 AM
RE: Hi all from East Toronto
Are you saying you don't catch anything at all? Or you're not catching decent size fish?

Where are you fishing and what type of fish are you after? I know some spots in the GTA that I pretty much guarantee catching fish depending on what species it is (and obviously the weather).
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
(07-16-2013 12:28 AM)mcfly Wrote:  Are you saying you don't catch anything at all? Or you're not catching decent size fish?

Where are you fishing and what type of fish are you after? I know some spots in the GTA that I pretty much guarantee catching fish depending on what species it is (and obviously the weather).

Its not uncommon for me to catch nothing at all. I would fish for half or a whole day and not get a single bite.
I was just recently at the Toronto islands because I have heard some good things about catching pike there. I went all around the Islands from 7am to 3pm or so and not even a single bite.
I sometimes go to Peterborough near the lock for a whole day of fishing. Last time all I managed to catch was two rock-bass. The time before that, no luck at all. I've also tried Pickering power station - a rock bass and a bullhead (i think that's what they are called. it's a small catfish).

I haven't caught a bass in a few years. And a walleye... forget about it.
Sad
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Welcome Alex.

We should have a meetup with some forum members soon and you can join us. There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

What set up and lures/bait do you use when you fish?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
(07-16-2013 11:38 AM)Giuga10 Wrote:  There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

LOL I was thinking the same thing
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
(07-16-2013 11:49 AM)mcfly Wrote:  
(07-16-2013 11:38 AM)Giuga10 Wrote:  There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

LOL I was thinking the same thing

me three. that would be awesome.

As far as lures... I like the hard lures so i tend to stick to those most of the time. However it is painful when I lose one especially considering the return on investment.
I do have some soft ones as well including some tubes, double tail twisters, and a senko type looking worm.
It is hard to say which particular lure I favor as they mostly yield the same end result.
07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
My situation is similar, I've mainly fished at locations throughout the Peel region and don't manage to catch much, I would appreciate knowing some of those spots where fish are guaranteed. I even have trouble getting decent sized sunfish now, I think the summer temperatures play a big role in urban shore fishing. One place which I could think of where you have a high chance of hooking bullhead catfish is centennial park but I don't like fishing for them, I prefer other panfish.
07-16-2013, 08:36 PM
You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 09:24 PM by Randy.)
(07-16-2013 08:36 PM)mcfly Wrote:  You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm

I have but haven't used that technique in a while, might try it soon. Bass or panfish as I'm in Mississauga, harder to get the other two species nearby especially walleye.
07-17-2013, 01:09 AM
(07-16-2013 09:23 PM)Randy Wrote:  
(07-16-2013 08:36 PM)mcfly Wrote:  You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm

I have but haven't used that technique in a while, might try it soon. Bass or panfish as I'm in Mississauga, harder to get the other two species nearby especially walleye.

Try Professor's Lake in Brampton. I catch largemouth there in the 2-3lb range. There is also pike, lots of panfish and perch.