You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? (/Thread-What-are-your-must-haves-for-shore-fishing-Would-a-net-be-one-of-them)

What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - instapump416 - 08-05-2013 12:27 AM

What are your must haves for shore fishing?
Would a net be one of them?

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - zippyFX - 08-05-2013 12:44 AM

My minimal must have are:

- a small carry friendly tackle kit. I have an over the shoulder bandoleer style tackle kit that I can carry with me in hands free capacity as I move along the shore. I chose the bandoleer instead of the fanny pack because it would allow me to wade deeper without getting it wet.
- A small tackle kit for my hooks and leads.
- A small tackle kit for small lures; spinners;
- a variety of floats

I tend to pack species specific kits so I don;t carry a lot of tackle with me.

I have found that depending on the location a net is not a must. If there is a good area to bring your fish onto the shore I would not bring a net. I do bring nets to some areas which I may have to lift a fish.

On a side note; I have started to use longer rods and found it tricky to use a net with them.

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - yakfish - 08-05-2013 09:10 AM

Must haves? Rod, reel, line, knife, small tackle bag with species specific tackle. In all my years of shore fishing I have never found myself wishing i had a net.

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - Giuga10 - 08-05-2013 12:14 PM

Basic lures that can be used for a number of species: Small Mepps Spinners Sizes 0-2, Twister Tail Grubs, Small Crankbaits (Live Target makes great ones), Plastic Worms (Berkley 3" Trout Worms are great), a flipping jig or two, and a topwater lure like a Hula Popper or Hollow Body Frog.

If you plan on targeting bigger fish a net is highly recommended.

A good pair of pliers are a must have.

A spare spool of line can come in handy often.

A multi tool or knife is also highly recommended.

Some good hooks, and jig heads.

A bobber or two.

I'll try to add more if I can think of them.

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - OldTimer - 08-05-2013 03:55 PM

Nail clippers.
Needle nose pliers.
Cheap cord stringer.
Lock blade knife.
Hook sharpener.
Disposable Wet wipes.
A few plastic bags.
Sunglasses.
Net (or clamping fish gripper)
a rod holder of some description (rather than a forked stick)

............ and yes............... your desired lures/hooks/sinkers in "sane" quantities in a shoulder bag

Less is more when ya gotta lug it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - rich_ace_G - 08-05-2013 04:31 PM

must have crawlers...100% skunk free.

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - MuskieBait - 08-05-2013 06:16 PM

All the items listed above are must have's for any fishing trip...

For shore fishing...

Good walking shoes or hiking boots...if you are serious about catching fish, you will be walking LOTS...so better have good footwear if you want to last.

Good backpack to carry you gear. Tackle bags are okay...but nothing is more practical and comfortable than a good backpack with padding and straps.

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - instapump416 - 08-05-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice y'all.

I should have a checklist before I go off on my shoreline fishing trips.
On one of my recent trips, I forgot to bring the worms..

RE: What are your must haves for shore fishing? Would a net be one of them? - DonFisher - 08-06-2013 07:22 AM

(08-05-2013 03:55 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Nail clippers.
Needle nose pliers.
Cheap cord stringer.
Lock blade knife.
Hook sharpener.
Disposable Wet wipes.
A few plastic bags.
Sunglasses.
Net (or clamping fish gripper)
a rod holder of some description (rather than a forked stick)

............ and yes............... your desired lures/hooks/sinkers in "sane" quantities in a shoulder bag

Less is more when ya gotta lug it.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Hook Sharpener... Gotta get me one of those, Never even heard of it before. THX!