You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) (/Thread-UPDATED-Caught-me-a-Steelhead-on-the-Centerpin-Vid-Pic)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-11-2013 11:21 AM

After going 0-8 yesterday, I finally land one.
Finally, my first catch on a centerpin. This beauty hen chinook was landed and released.

I hope you guys enjoy the vid...

[attachment=695]

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - instapump416 - 10-11-2013 10:54 PM

Is this a male or female?

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - mcfly - 10-11-2013 11:24 PM

Looks like a male 'jack' to me. Smaller than the average male, I prefer to catch them as they have more 'spunk' to their fights. I could be wrong though

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - MuskieBait - 10-12-2013 12:12 AM

Yep, that's a jack (small male).

I'm not saying this to criticize or accuse anyone.

If you look at where and how the fish is hook, the fish is hooked from the outside of the lower jaw, and looking at the hook angle, the line is pulled tight from the outside toward the inside of the mouth. Just as an FYI, that's a sign of fish being lined/flossed. I know you didn't intentionally line fish, but just in case you are wondering, that fish most likely (I say that with almost >90% certainly) did not strike your egg bead. If a fish did take it intentionally, you will hook the fish from the inside of the mouth. When you are salmon fishing and you are wondering whether the fish are actively taking your bait or not, this is a sign that they are not taking the bait. Even if you see the fish moving its jaw, it is just trying to get the line out of its mouth. It does not mean the fish is snapping the jaws at your bait.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of intentionally lining a fish...but it is just something to observe for new salmon anglers.

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - OldTimer - 10-12-2013 07:12 AM

Ditto.

OT

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - instapump416 - 10-12-2013 08:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback MB, that's good to know.

That day I was targeting steelhead with a single bead.
I went 0-1 the night before and I believe 0-3 that day.

Can I get your thoughts on this video? This is how I learned about this rig and I thought being hooked at the bottom jaw was fine.

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - MuskieBait - 10-13-2013 12:28 AM

I saw enough of that video...That is simply elaborate lining / flossing and an explanation that tries to justify flossing non-biting salmon in the rivers. Hooking a fish inside the mouth is no more damaging than hooking a fish on the outside of the mouth.

If you meet some of the steelhead guys out on the river who REALLY know how to fish beads, the bead is placed immediately in front of the eye of the hook, not several inches away from the hook. When a steelhead takes the bead, they actually are taking the bead thinking it is a single loose egg.

On the west coast and in Alaska, the same egg bead are fished the way I described for rainbow trout and dolly varden char during the salmon run.

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - instapump416 - 10-13-2013 10:43 AM

(10-13-2013 12:28 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I saw enough of that video...That is simply elaborate lining / flossing and an explanation that tries to justify flossing non-biting salmon in the rivers. Hooking a fish inside the mouth is no more damaging than hooking a fish on the outside of the mouth.

If you meet some of the steelhead guys out on the river who REALLY know how to fish beads, the bead is placed immediately in front of the eye of the hook, not several inches away from the hook. When a steelhead takes the bead, they actually are taking the bead thinking it is a single loose egg.

On the west coast and in Alaska, the same egg bead are fished the way I described for rainbow trout and dolly varden char during the salmon run.

I'll give this a try.

If you place the bead above the eye of the hook, wont the steelhead swallow or hook it deep?

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - MuskieBait - 10-13-2013 11:11 PM

We fish with roe bags and worms for steelhead and hardly do we experience a fish that had swallow the hook deep.

RE: Caught my First on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) Oct 10 - instapump416 - 10-17-2013 07:56 AM

Gotcha

[Image: 33o05tk.jpg]