You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Dunnville Channel Catfish - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Dunnville Channel Catfish (/Thread-Dunnville-Channel-Catfish)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Dunnville Channel Catfish - wknd outdoorsman - 06-05-2012 11:37 PM

So this may be a dumb questionbut i'll ask anyway. Am I able have two rods set up or have 2 lines in the water at the same time?

Cheers!

RE: Dunnville Channel Catfish - OldTimer - 06-06-2012 07:02 AM

(06-05-2012 11:37 PM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  So this may be a dumb questionbut i'll ask anyway. Am I able have two rods set up or have 2 lines in the water at the same time?

Cheers!

Only one, here's the applicable clause from the 2012 regulations:

[attachment=142]

May be wise to read all the regs if youre fuzzy on the laws:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

RE: Dunnville Channel Catfish - tangpierre - 07-30-2012 05:35 PM

(04-03-2012 03:12 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hey,

I’m looking for info on where one might try fishing from shore near Dunnville - to catch some of the HUGE catfish (some well over 20 pounds) that should begin their spawning run into the Grand River quite soon (May/June).

Gotta love the town’s mascot:

http://hamilton.openfile.ca/hamilton/file/2011/06/muddy-puts-dunnville-map

I’ve caught a 15 pounder below Denny’s in the Saugeen at Southhampton…….. was quite the battle in the current - so I figure 20+ should be insane, and fun.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Just back from Dunnville yesterday. I brought the kids to the Byng Island Conservation Area for some water fun. Try a bit fishing on both sides of the fish ladder in the park. Fishing was very slow, not even a bite and didn't see anyone catching anything either. On the way out, we saw some guys fishing along on the bridge over the dam. I saw one guy pulling out a 10 lb channel catfish with just worm. One important thing to consider though, since the guy was about 30 ft above the dam, he dumped a net with a stone in it down to the water, and pulled it up with attached rope. Without this set up, I don't think he can pull the fish up without breaking the line, if not the rod.

RE: Dunnville Channel Catfish - MichaelAngelo - 07-30-2012 07:26 PM

(07-30-2012 05:35 PM)tangpierre Wrote:  One important thing to consider though, since the guy was about 30 ft above the dam, he dumped a net with a stone in it down to the water, and pulled it up with attached rope. Without this set up, I don't think he can pull the fish up without breaking the line, if not the rod.

That's fascinating. I've always been critical of people fishing from high bridges or dams, thinking them not prepared for properly landing anything they catch.

That's a great idea!