You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Line selection - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Line selection (/Thread-Line-selection)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Line selection - MRQturbo - 04-08-2014 06:31 PM

i don't like having to tie on a flouro leader when using braid...i magic marker the braid black the first few feet instead......16# sunline sx1 on my spinning gear or 12# mono.....40# sx1 for my paddle tail swimbait setup...and 50# sunline fx2 on my frog/flipping rod setup....for flourocarbon....use 12-16# sunline sniper for the rest of my baitcasting setups....

RE: Line selection - Fossil Fish - 04-09-2014 07:58 PM

So I bought some Spiderwire Stealth braid, but before I spool it up, I have another question: does braid have to be spooled in a certain direction as mono does, or does it matter? Thanks for all the great responses everyone, lots of good info.

RE: Line selection - MuskieBait - 04-09-2014 08:42 PM

I don't find it matters much with braid...but I spool it the same as I spool mono...just a habit I guess.

RE: Line selection - Eli - 04-09-2014 09:51 PM

(04-08-2014 06:31 PM)MRQturbo Wrote:  i don't like having to tie on a flouro leader when using braid...i magic marker the braid black the first few feet instead......

I...don't get it...?

RE: Line selection - MRQturbo - 04-10-2014 11:44 AM

(04-09-2014 09:51 PM)Eli Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 06:31 PM)MRQturbo Wrote:  i don't like having to tie on a flouro leader when using braid...i magic marker the braid black the first few feet instead......

I...don't get it...?

it makes the braid less visible underwater......

RE: Line selection - MuskieBait - 04-10-2014 01:14 PM

(04-10-2014 11:44 AM)MRQturbo Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:51 PM)Eli Wrote:  

I...don't get it...?

it makes the braid less visible underwater......

Case specific.

Colour the braid black and fish it in the streams east of Toronto under gin-clear conditions...salmon, steelhead, brown trout...and yes even suckers...would disagree.

Colour the braid black and fish it in the gin-clear sandy flats of Bahamas...bonefish, permit and tarpon would disagree.

Colour the braid black and fish it in heavy weed cover, yes, it helps to camouflage that braid against the green background of the weed cover.

All the combination you listed are bassing techniques. Broaden the application and you'll realize colouring the braid black does not ALWAYS make it less visible...especially when not fishing in heavy weed cover.

RE: Line selection - Fossil Fish - 04-16-2014 05:56 PM

Another couple of questions for the pros: how much flouro leader to add to the braid? A few feet, a few yards????? Also, what's the best knot to join the two lines, blood, double-uni, other???

RE: Line selection - MuskieBait - 04-16-2014 06:13 PM

Just a few feet. Depending on the thickness of the two lines, if the thickness is similar, I tend to use the uni-to-uni. If the thickness is much to different, I use the Tony Pena knot. This knot is similar to the Mid knot, PR knot or Slim Beauty knot in concept...only that it uses an overhead (or personally I prefer a Figure 8) knot as a stopper knot. I especially like the Tony Pena knot when I have a heavy leader whether it is mono or fluoro...by heavy I mean anything over 40lb. I've tied as heavy as 150lb mono to 65lb spectra braid with this knot. For the longest time I didn't know what this knot was called...so I just called it the Slim Beauty/PR/Mid knot Big Grin

RE: Line selection - OldTimer - 04-17-2014 03:27 PM

(04-16-2014 05:56 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  Another couple of questions for the pros: how much flouro leader to add to the braid? A few feet, a few yards????? Also, what's the best knot to join the two lines, blood, double-uni, other???

The longer the leader - the more line guides the knot will have to negotiate on a cast ....or drag against a reel spool lip.. or catch on line if on the spool.....and perhaps degrade distance a little bit. Best situation is that the knot is beyond the tip top before a cast.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Line selection - MRQturbo - 04-18-2014 11:13 AM

make the leader long enough so that you will have enough line for re-ties..break offs..etc.....if your attaching knot is tied properly..it should not interfere with line guides at all....