You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
suckers - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: suckers (/Thread-suckers)

suckers - Enzo - 04-09-2014 07:27 AM

hello.
Which line and hook would you suggest for suckers?

RE: suckers - MuskieBait - 04-09-2014 08:24 AM

Are you fishing for resident suckers in smaller streams or headwaters, or are you fishing for the migratory spawning suckers from the Great Lakes?

Assuming it is the latter, 6-8lb mono and #8 baitholder hook would be fine. They are not picky at all.

RE: suckers - Enzo - 04-09-2014 08:43 AM

Thanks Muskie!

RE: suckers - Eli - 04-09-2014 09:56 PM

Ken's right about the hook choice. Gamakatsu baitholders are pretty much all I use for suckers, though #6 is my go-to but that's a personal preference.

For line, if you're sight fishing you can use mono just fine but for still fishing or bottom bouncing, I'd go with braid as your main line. The bite can be very subtle and you might not detect it if you're using a line with stretch. So yeah..10-12lb braid is just fine. Also puts you into a safer situation for when Mr. Carp makes an appearance.

RE: suckers - MichaelAngelo - 04-09-2014 11:29 PM

Lots of fun to be had with suckers! Like Eli said, sucker fishing got me into my first carp fishing Big Grin