You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Smallest fly you've ever tied - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Smallest fly you've ever tied (/Thread-Smallest-fly-you-ve-ever-tied)

Smallest fly you've ever tied - MuskieBait - 05-31-2014 10:27 AM

With less time these days, I only tie out of necessity. Well, there was a need to tie a nano fly since the pesky Stickleback would attack my ultra small splitshot but only peck gently at the tiny flake of nightcrawler I had on the end of the tanago hook.

Hopefully this gives them a target to hit. I think I'll still tip the hook point with a flake of nightcrawler to mask the smell of head cement.

[Image: IMG_1631_post.jpg]

I think I'm ready to tie #32 dries. Anyone knows where I can get Tiemco #32? I search online and they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Sad

Going to try this fly today...Wish me luck. :lol:

What's the smallest fly you've ever tied?

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - OldTimer - 05-31-2014 04:05 PM

32 is WOW small. Hope you have a good magnifying glass on a goose neck and lottsa light at your bench set up.

Crazy glue might be a better head cement than lacquer.

What size (#test) tippet will you use (will fit)?

I think maybe 20 is the smallest I ever took a run at............. if that........ maybe 18 .............I never had much of a need for anything so micro small.

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - MichaelAngelo - 06-01-2014 12:08 AM

Saw this fly in person today... Ken is a machine.

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - MuskieBait - 06-03-2014 06:01 PM

Hey OT,

These hooks don't have a hook eye. Instead, there is a wider and flattened "head". It serves as a stopper nub when you tie a snell knot on the hook shank.

Currently, I'm using 2lb fly tippet...but have been considering 1lb tippet for extra sensitivity and suppleness.

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - OldTimer - 06-04-2014 06:24 AM

Is it difficult getting the snell knot positioned so the tippet lead exits the fly body at 12:00....... or does it spin somewhat freely?

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - MuskieBait - 06-04-2014 11:36 AM

It doesn't spin since the head of the hook is flattened (it looks a little like a small flat square), which prevents the line from spinning around freely.

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - OldTimer - 06-04-2014 03:32 PM

A fly that small, plus quarry that small must dictate total sight based fishing and hook setting - as I would think there would be no discernible "strike".................?

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - MuskieBait - 06-04-2014 11:31 PM

With the tanago rod, you could feel a bite if they tug harder. But it is mostly sight fishing.

RE: Smallest fly you've ever tied - MichaelAngelo - 06-06-2014 10:27 PM

This is just too crazy. Ken you could probably enter some kind of micro fly tying competition if one ever existed Tongue.