You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Vacuum Sealing bait - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (/Forum-Other)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (/Forum-Off-Topic-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Vacuum Sealing bait (/Thread-Vacuum-Sealing-bait)

Vacuum Sealing bait - OldTimer - 01-05-2015 08:57 AM

Hi,

I was given a Foodsaver vacuum sealer this Xmas.

Other than the obvious uses with our “food”, I look forward to trying out this preservation method on cut-bait and minnows – to see if it provides a higher quality fishing bait after months in the freezer.

Has anyone out there tried this and have any helpful advice on methods and best procedures?

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Vacuum Sealing bait - MuskieBait - 01-05-2015 05:05 PM

Have not try it...but friends of mine use it to package and freeze mackerel for bait and they like it.

Advice...

Keep fish whole rather than pre-cut. They will last even longer and thaw in better shape.

Don't over pack the bags. You need a good margin for a proper vacuum and a proper sealing.

Portion out what you think is a reasonable amount of bait for a day of fishing and package them in separate bags. Freeze-thaw cycles degrade bait quality and freshness.

Other than that...it's fairly basic.

RE: Vacuum Sealing bait - OldTimer - 01-06-2015 04:56 PM

(01-05-2015 05:05 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Have not try it...but friends of mine use it to package and freeze mackerel for bait and they like it.

Advice...

Keep fish whole rather than pre-cut. They will last even longer and thaw in better shape.

Don't over pack the bags. You need a good margin for a proper vacuum and a proper sealing.

Portion out what you think is a reasonable amount of bait for a day of fishing and package them in separate bags. Freeze-thaw cycles degrade bait quality and freshness.

Other than that...it's fairly basic.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll post some reports on how I make out on this thread later this year.

OT

RE: Vacuum Sealing bait - ANONEEMUSKY - 02-25-2022 04:55 PM

Vacuum sealers work great for whole minnows or cut sucker/redhorse baits to be used for cats.

Used it last year and it worked out perfectly. No freezer burn at all.

Wished I had caught and frozen more as I ran out too early.

Tip - Make the packs up in outing size so not to waste.

P