You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing Resources (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-Resources)
+--- Forum: Articles and Resources (/Forum-Articles-and-Resources)
+--- Thread: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes (/Thread-Fish-Dish-and-Appetizer-Recipes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 05-17-2012 04:34 PM

Hey,

I do release most of my catches……… but, not all.

They really do taste great!

I’d guess that most of us prefer our freshly caught Canadian game fish simply cooked – i.e. dredged in some sort of flour mix with a bit of garlic powder, salt & pepper then quickly pan-fried or deep fried.

Me too………..

But I know there’s a whole lot of other ways to enjoy your catch and to maximize its taste and delicate flavour.

What’s yours?

I start this thread for us to share our thoughts and ways to enjoy the fruits of our sport…………….

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - Redmire - 05-17-2012 04:50 PM

Pickerel in butter, with a squeeze of lemon (don't forget the fish cheeks)
Pickerel deep fried in flour/garlic/herbs
Rainbow trout with lemon & garlic

Man, I'm starving now!

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 05-17-2012 06:22 PM

Me too....... don't forget the Basmati Rice, with a side of asparagus......... Pinot Grigio works well...

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - MichaelAngelo - 05-26-2012 09:40 PM

I find that the oven brings out the most of the fish's flavor. While I seldom eat Ontario gameish both my grandmother and mother love to cook salmon/halibut/sea bass(mmmm my favourite) in the oven with some olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs. Comes out fabulous!

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 06-06-2012 03:22 PM

Campfire Gobey Recipe:

20 good sized Gobey fish - gutted
1/2 cup corn/vegetable oil or 2 sticks of butter
1 tsp. black pepper
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime quartered
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Quart of tequila.

Build an open fire using only hickory. While the fire is burning down to gray coals, clean fish and cut almost through the back bone from end to end so that it can be laid out flat. Obtain a yellow poplar board, approximately 12"x36". Soak board in water overnight. Place the gobey, skin side down, in a tight row starting about 6" from one end of the board. Nail the fish to the board, using large headed roofing nails. In a small saucepan, melt the butter (or oil) and add the pepper and lemon, and spices. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
Baste the fish liberally with the lemon butter, being sure that some sauce runs between the board and the fish. When the fire has burned down to coals, lean the board over the coals, fish side down, using a small stick to prop the board up. Baste liberally every 5 minutes, being sure that some sauce runs underneath the fish. Cook 40 to 50 minutes until fish flakes easily. Remove nails, throw all the fish back in the river and eat the board, bite lime - drink Tequila (salt lick optional).

Doancha jus luv love BBQ!

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - MichaelAngelo - 06-06-2012 09:00 PM

(06-06-2012 03:22 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Campfire Gobey Recipe:

20 good sized Gobey fish - gutted
1/2 cup corn/vegetable oil or 2 sticks of butter
1 tsp. black pepper
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime quartered
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Quart of tequila.

Build an open fire using only hickory. While the fire is burning down to gray coals, clean fish and cut almost through the back bone from end to end so that it can be laid out flat. Obtain a yellow poplar board, approximately 12"x36". Soak board in water overnight. Place the gobey, skin side down, in a tight row starting about 6" from one end of the board. Nail the fish to the board, using large headed roofing nails. In a small saucepan, melt the butter (or oil) and add the pepper and lemon, and spices. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
Baste the fish liberally with the lemon butter, being sure that some sauce runs between the board and the fish. When the fire has burned down to coals, lean the board over the coals, fish side down, using a small stick to prop the board up. Baste liberally every 5 minutes, being sure that some sauce runs underneath the fish. Cook 40 to 50 minutes until fish flakes easily. Remove nails, throw all the fish back in the river and eat the board, bite lime - drink Tequila (salt lick optional).

Doancha jus luv love BBQ!

Cheers,

OldTimer

You had me there OldTimer, you had me. Tongue

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 12-15-2012 02:23 PM

“Smashed Potatoes” sorta a ’la Chef Michael Smith

I got this idea watching one of Michael Smiths videos – he baked them – I tried frying them instead – great and fast!

Goes good with your catch and doesn’t take a lot of effort.

For 2:

4 medium/small white or yellow potatoes. Not mini’s, just smaller white or golden potatoes that are larger than an egg but smaller than a billiard ball.

Wash and clean them only (don’t peel them, leave skins on)……… dry them……..prick them with a fork

Put them on a microwave safe plate and mic them for about 5 to 6 minutes (depends how powerful your microwave is...) turn them halfway thru… – You want them just “almost” cooked, but not mush.

Preheat your trusty cast iron fry pan, melt a tablespoon or two of butter with a tablespoon or so of olive oil.

Pan should be on medium-high. (not smoking)

Put the potatoes in the fry pan and using a potato masher ------- smash them flat in a single pressing (or two) if you can - but try to keep them sorta in one piece (as best you can) , about ½” thick….. add salt, pepper, and whatever seasonings you want ( I like a small dash of garlic powder, and some dried onion flakes as well )……… fry till brown on that side, flip and ditto on the other side…… serve

Fast and tasty…….no peeling, no cutting, no waste.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - MuskieBait - 12-15-2012 05:20 PM

My favourite fish dish / appetizer is super easy...sashimi!

Fresh fillet of tuna, mahimahi or yellowtail, slice into 1/2" thick slices, and serve with soy sauce and wasabi. That's it...no prep at all.

My second favourite is similar...poke!

Fresh fillet of tuna, mahimahi or yellowtail, chunk into small cubes, season with a bit of seasame oil, chili flakes, Hawaiian salt, chopped green onions, diced sweet onion (Maui onion even better!), ground roasted kukui nuts, and seaweed (ogo). Toss it together...done.

My third favourite takes a bit more preparation...ceviche!

Fresh white flesh fish fillet like mahimahi, yellowtail or rockfish, chunk into small cubes, take lime juice (or lime + lemon + tangerine or orange) and soak chunks of fish in water for 2 hours in the fridge), chop tomatoes, onions, cilantro, green onions, with other ingredients optional like mangoes, avocado, sweet peppers, hot pepper flakes...etc. Once the acid in the lime juice has "cooked" or denature the protein, the chunks of fish turns opaque. Drain off lime juice from the fish, add in your chopped ingredients, add a bit of sea salt and fresh ground peppers...and you're done.

My fourth favourite...steamed!

Simply score your fish, add in fresh ginger slivers, chopped green onions and steam in a pot for 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your fish (if the meat lifts off the bones without much effort, it is done), then take it out of the pot, add in soy sauce...and you're done.

Michael, we may not have a stove in our rented room...but who needs a stove? Wink They are much better fresh and raw anyways. Big Grin

Gosh...I'm drooling just thinking about it. If we catch enough, we can use one to make sashimi straight up, one to make poke, and one to make ceviche...we may need to catch enough to feed my sister and her boyfriend too! Big Grin We may need even more to feed my family. Rolleyes

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 12-15-2012 05:42 PM

Crab Dip

A good/fast simple recipe that will store in the fridge up to a week. Makes lots so put in several dishes.

Ingredients:
1 can Campbell's Mushroom soup
8 oz. Cream Cheese (1 package)
1 envelope unflavoured Gelatine
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
1 cup Hellmanns mayo(or Miracle Whip)
2 small cans crab meat – drained (or if you catch your own – two thirds of a cup of cooked and flaked crab meat of your choice – i.e. 2 nice Jimmy blue crabs or 1 Jumbo)
1/4 tsp. curry …………..or Garlic powder + Cumin + Pepper
NO SALT !

Instructions:
- Microwave/stir the cream cheese and mushroom soup until mixed
- Dissolve gelatine in 1 cup of cold water
- Mix the celery, onion, Miracle whip, spice, and crab meat
- Combine all the above - mix well - refridgerate until set (8hrs +)

Serve with your choice of crackers, or chips, or bread crisps or celery sticks, or red/green pepper slices.

Cheers,

OldTimer

edit: tried cumin + old bay spice, as the last ingredient - was even better...................

RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes - OldTimer - 01-26-2013 05:01 PM

Popcorn Shrimp recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Unique.

Cheers,

OldTimer