You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Fish Identification - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing Resources (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-Resources)
+--- Forum: Articles and Resources (/Forum-Articles-and-Resources)
+--- Thread: Fish Identification (/Thread-Fish-Identification)

Pages: 1 2

Fish Identification - OldTimer - 07-31-2012 03:25 PM

Here’s a wee article I patched together in hopes of helping others to easily identify what fish they’ve caught. I have found that a lot of the stuff out there is lacking, or way too technical or verbose.

Emphasis was placed on being clear, simple, to the point, and not overly descriptive – just the key characteristics and a couple of colour pictures of each fish… without having to count fin spines, or perform a dissection.

[attachment=221]

This article is limited to those fish which should represent those the average Ontario anglers might see in their adventures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

EDIT AUGUST 9 2015 - see farther down the thread for REV 1 of this pdf - has lots more pics and fish........Cheers.......OldTimer

RE: Fish Identification - MichaelAngelo - 07-31-2012 04:47 PM

Spectacular work OldTimer! This is fantastic!! Big Grin

I'm going through it as we speak, it's super helpful. Big Grin

RE: Fish Identification - MichaelAngelo - 08-03-2012 10:41 AM

I was doing some reading on distinguishing various suckers and redhorses, it's still confusing to me but this might help some:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ATYnjnKaFlcC&lpg=PA181&ots=NxiBNqo_T4&dq=white%20sucker%20lateral%20line&pg=PA180#v=onepage&q=white%20sucker%20lateral%20line&f=false

RE: Fish Identification - OldTimer - 08-21-2012 03:28 PM

Here's a great pamphlet for Lake Ontario salmon and trout identification............. put out by Sea Grant in New York.

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/glsportfish/pdfs/SalmonTrout-LakeOntario2012.pdf

RE: Fish Identification - Giuga10 - 08-22-2012 07:22 PM

Great work OldTimer by far the best identification sheet I've seen. Very very helpful.

Thanks,
Guiga10

RE: Fish Identification - MuskieBait - 03-26-2013 04:46 PM

Hm...a certain bowfin looks really familiar on this ID document...it's almost like I've met the fish somewhere in the past Tongue

RE: Fish Identification - OldTimer - 03-26-2013 06:46 PM

Cool Huh?

See MA for the yer cut of any royalties.....or was it his pic?....smile

OT

RE: Fish Identification - MuskieBait - 03-26-2013 06:52 PM

Definitely my pic...and I'll definitely go after him for my cut of royalties.

He can pay me in burbot...I demand 5lb of "poor man's lobster". Tongue

RE: Fish Identification - John Pimentel - 03-26-2013 07:09 PM

(07-31-2012 03:25 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Here’s a wee article I patched together in hopes of helping others to easily identify what fish they’ve caught. I have found that a lot of the stuff out there is lacking, or way too technical or verbose.

Emphasis was placed on being clear, simple, to the point, and not overly descriptive – just the key characteristics and a couple of colour pictures of each fish… without having to count fin spines, or perform a dissection.

This article is limited to those fish which should represent those the average Ontario anglers might see in their adventures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Very useful, thanks.

RE: Fish Identification - MichaelAngelo - 04-02-2013 12:16 PM

(03-26-2013 06:52 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Definitely my pic...and I'll definitely go after him for my cut of royalties.

He can pay me in burbot...I demand 5lb of "poor man's lobster". Tongue

And I could have provided if I had read this two weeks ago Tongue. Thankfully for the burbot's sake, I did not.