You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Invasive Species - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Invasive Species (/Thread-Invasive-Species)

Pages: 1 2

Invasive Species - OldTimer - 01-18-2013 04:01 PM

Interesting report from MNR.

Of note - see page 18 - re: Smallmouth is considered a threatening invasive species to the Artic region.

[attachment=388]

OT

RE: Invasive Species - Giuga10 - 01-18-2013 04:42 PM

Wow.... It's hard to believe that Smallmouths are considered invasive!

Are we gonna be tossing smallies on the banks now Undecided

Giuga10

RE: Invasive Species - OldTimer - 01-18-2013 05:23 PM

Not on my watch.

RE: Invasive Species - zippyFX - 01-18-2013 10:16 PM

Funny this thread should pop up.... This week I was researching how to handle an invasive species should I catch one (not that I have).... In Ontario it is illegal to waste any fish ("allowing fish to waste is an offence."). I checked the invasive species site run by OFAH and it failed to answer that question. So I e-mailed the OFAH the response from them was that I raised an interesting point and that I should call him.

From the way I read it, it is illegal to waste any fish that is edible.... Most fish are edible so tossing them is illegal by my reckoning.... There is also the risk of mis-identification as some of the identifications can be subtle.

RE: Invasive Species - MuskieBait - 01-18-2013 11:03 PM

If snakeheads show up...I'll be ready for them with my weedless frog...it's only a matter of time...(hopefully) Tongue

RE: Invasive Species - Giuga10 - 01-18-2013 11:50 PM

(01-18-2013 10:16 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Funny this thread should pop up.... This week I was researching how to handle an invasive species should I catch one (not that I have).... In Ontario it is illegal to waste any fish ("allowing fish to waste is an offence."). I checked the invasive species site run by OFAH and it failed to answer that question. So I e-mailed the OFAH the response from them was that I raised an interesting point and that I should call him.

From the way I read it, it is illegal to waste any fish that is edible.... Most fish are edible so tossing them is illegal by my reckoning.... There is also the risk of mis-identification as some of the identifications can be subtle.

However it's is also illegal not to waste certain invasive species such as Gobies.

Giuga10

RE: Invasive Species - OldTimer - 01-19-2013 08:09 AM

The topic of destroying “invading species” has been endlessly discussed on other forums.

Bottom line: it is illegal to possess live ones, it is illegal to use them as bait, it is illegal to return them to the water, and you must “DESTROY” them.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165638.html

[attachment=389]

[attachment=390]

Put all the useless semantics aside – destroy the beasties… and dispose of them properly……….. I doubt that any MNR officer will cite you for not eating them……

…………. But hey…chow down if that floats yer boat….. maybe you’ll like them…………..smile

Me - I feed em to the gulls (if they are present), or put them in the trash.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Invasive Species - zippyFX - 01-19-2013 08:50 AM

Great this was the pointer I was looking for. I was not able to find it were I was looking.

Thanks!

RE: Invasive Species - MichaelAngelo - 01-19-2013 10:50 PM

(01-18-2013 04:42 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  Wow.... It's hard to believe that Smallmouths are considered invasive!

Are we gonna be tossing smallies on the banks now Undecided

Giuga10

Remember that smallmouth were stocked throughout Algonquin park and proceeded to out-compete the native lake and brook trout.

RE: Invasive Species - Jeremy Ray Green - 01-21-2013 02:52 PM

Smallmouth is considered a "Sport fish".

And the Rules State it is illegal to waste "GAME" or "Sport Fish" in this matter..

Rainbow trout Brown trout chinook salmon Coho salmon, all of those are also considered to be an invasive species in ontario,
But have been stocked As "GAME" or "Sport Fish"

What you'll want to really watch for and there have been some significant studies, is the Area Of the Largemouth Bas, It has been shown on certain maps the Growth of Area the Large mouth are found, and as the water temps get warmer Year after year they are finding that the Largemouth bass are taking over some of the more northern areas the Small mouth are living.

I think the largemouth bass would be a greater concern overtime...

~Jeremy.