You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
This spring so far - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: This spring so far (/Thread-This-spring-so-far)

Pages: 1 2

RE: This spring so far - OldTimer - 04-08-2013 04:07 PM

(04-08-2013 03:50 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  Hey guys,

Maybe you can give me info where I can go for Carp fishing. It's been a while since I wet a line. Just been hiking lately. To be honest. I haven't tried sucker fishing but mainly because I don't know where. Are they the same setup as Carp fishing?

Most Ontario tributaries that flow all year, and that flow into a great lake, will have a sucker run. Worms usually are the accepted bait, but they will take flies and small spinners. They're usually not all that agressive and are a bottom feeder- so slow presentations - or even the the forked stick thing is cool. Look for the slower current pools or below obstructions. They are around "a bit" right now - but more will be around once the waters warm up just a bit more (10C is their spawn peak).

This time of year - Be sure to check the regs for those areas of some tributaries that are still sanctuaries (NO FISHING there) till Trout season opens at the end of this month (April).

Carp are being caught - but they might still be a bit sluggish due to the water temps.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Oldtimer

RE: This spring so far - Giuga10 - 04-08-2013 05:32 PM

(04-08-2013 01:43 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I wish you snapped a pic!

I have a pic. I'll post it soon. It was about 2 lbs.

RE: This spring so far - OldTimer - 04-08-2013 06:14 PM

(04-08-2013 05:32 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  

------- a TWO POUND SPEC in a Markum Crik!............... WOW!

RE: This spring so far - Giuga10 - 04-08-2013 07:08 PM

(04-08-2013 06:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(04-08-2013 05:32 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  

------- a TWO POUND SPEC in a Markum Crik!............... WOW!

Over review of the picture I'll sadly admit that I wrongly ID'd it. Sad

2 Lb Brown Trout would be the fish I caught. There are some streams in Markham that do hold Speckles though, I'll have to show you guys once the season opens Smile

Here's the pic.
[Image: 1MHINDO.jpg]

RE: This spring so far - MuskieBait - 04-08-2013 07:29 PM

(04-08-2013 04:07 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Worms usually are the accepted bait, but they will take flies and small spinners. They're usually not all that agressive and are a bottom feeder- so slow presentations - or even the the forked stick thing is cool.

They get more aggressive as the weather warms...I've had them chased down nightcrawler and roe bag in the current.

RE: This spring so far - rich_ace_G - 04-08-2013 08:28 PM

Ok, just in hindsite...if I'm going to target suckers...wouldn't it be risky as the trib is known to have trout running right now and we all know worms can make any fish bite? That's why I don't even bother fishing for carp just because trout my just decide to hit up a corn or boilie.

RE: This spring so far - Giuga10 - 04-08-2013 09:56 PM

(04-08-2013 08:28 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  Ok, just in hindsite...if I'm going to target suckers...wouldn't it be risky as the trib is known to have trout running right now and we all know worms can make any fish bite? That's why I don't even bother fishing for carp just because trout my just decide to hit up a corn or boilie.

As long as you put the Trout back as quickly as possible if one is caught and try to avoid them if you can, I think you'll be ok. Just don't get caught with roe and trout pellets Tongue

RE: This spring so far - MuskieBait - 04-08-2013 11:07 PM

I would not bother the spawning trout. There are areas that are open year round for fishing that have suckers. There is no need to fish in upper areas of stream right now just for suckers. There should be more suckers in the lower reaches as they are just starting to make their way upstream to spawn.

RE: This spring so far - MichaelAngelo - 04-09-2013 10:03 AM

(04-08-2013 07:29 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  or even the the forked stick thing is cool.

You can get some of those at dollarama for 1-2 dollars each. Shouldn't be too expensive to outfit the whole family!!