You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Argh! Bail shutting on me...
09-15-2013, 12:00 AM
RE: Argh! Bail shutting on me...
More detailed report.... I spent alot of time cast heavy lures on Thursday and Saturday and I think I have found the problem......

- First and foremost the reel in a Shimano Ciena 4000 and only a couple of months old; I could not find any evidence it was the reel

After carefully watching each cast I noticed the following sloppy technique on part:
- When opening the bail sometime I would not open it 100%; I think this could be one cause as it would snap shut during the cast;
- When opening the bail some wrist action would, at times move the roller from about 12:00 to 2:00; This could have been a contributing factor;
- After opening the bail and opening and moving my hand back to the reel seat I noticed that twice my fingers accidentally turned the bail significantly (approximately 3 hours on the clock); This could have been a contributing factor;

Thanks for all the pointers and letting me know what I should look for. It happend to me sometime with lighter lures but the line never broke this got me to focus on the the entire casting procedure end to end.

You know what the kicker is though!? I lost another Suick Nightstalker today because my Basspro flurocarbon leader (100lb test) broke at the snap on the very first cast this morning.... Man was I POd ... I started making my own fluro leaders this season but I had a couple of leftovers so chose to use a purchased one instead of my own. Argh!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Argh! Bail shutting on me... - zippyFX - 08-31-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: Argh! Bail shutting on me... - mcfly - 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
RE: Argh! Bail shutting on me... - zippyFX - 09-06-2013, 03:38 PM
RE: Argh! Bail shutting on me... - zippyFX - 09-15-2013 12:00 AM