You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need better identification!
05-26-2013, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 02:23 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Need better identification!
(05-26-2013 01:46 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(05-26-2013 12:34 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Thus, to remove "confusion", I'm going to further ask members to post the binomial nomenclature, otherwise known as the latin name, of the species. There is no confusion using the latin names.

With all respect .......This perhaps should be re-considered,........... I imagine that some of our members are doing their very best using English, one of our official Canadian languages, and which is not their childhood language.

English is not my childhood language either...neither is latin. I don't know a shred of latin aside from scientific names. It is not hard at all...everyone knows how to use Google and Wikipedia...and for most part Wiki is pretty good.

If you or I were to moved to any other country in the world (Greece, Japan, Uganda, Peru...etc), the same would be required of us to know the local language, understand the local fishing regulations and be familiar with the local species just the same. I don't see anything wrong with that kind of requirement at all.

I always believe this...if you can go on the internet, find an online fishing forum relevant to the local fishing scene, read and understand reports on a fishing forum, ask for specific fishing locations, bait and technique and comment on people's catches and pictures, then you should be able to read regulations and find out species information...otherwise, you wouldn't even be able to participate on an online fishing forum. Language is not really an excuse if you can communicate with forum members in a meaningful way...

For example, I can't even begin to search for, or ask about, any fishing information in Spanish...or Greek...or Italian...strangely yet, I can still find fish names and their latin names, even if they are species in Spain, Greece or Italy...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Need better identification! - MuskieBait - 05-26-2013, 12:34 PM
RE: Need better identification! - OldTimer - 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Need better identification! - MuskieBait - 05-26-2013 02:15 PM
RE: Need better identification! - OldTimer - 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: Need better identification! - OldTimer - 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM
RE: Need better identification! - OldTimer - 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM
RE: Need better identification! - smcs28 - 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM
RE: Need better identification! - smcs28 - 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM