You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking To Buy a New Reel
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel
(04-17-2012 10:34 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Most certainly that which fish you'll target, and what kind of quality you need, will dictate which reel to get.

Do you need a Shimano Stella 3000 for your everyday freshwater fishing? Despite what all the advertisement they try to throw at you, I would most definitely say no. You don't need all that high tech to fight even a 30lb salmon. A dependable reel with a good drag system, either a felt oiled washer system, or a lightly greased carbon fiber drag system, will do more than enough. I have witness my own graphite body reel flex under the strain of a big salmon though. In fact, I have fought enough big salmon on my Solara reel over the years that the drive shaft is slightly bent. A full metal body reel would really help in that case.

Do you want to right a hot running mahimahi with a Shimano Sahara 3000? Hell no...that's bringing a stick to a gun fight! In that case, you do really need solid components in all aspects.

Is it everyday that you need such a high quality reel? Probably not...unless you travel often and your reel gets used for its intended purposes. So it may not be worthwhile to spend so much on a high quality reel after all.

However, getting a decent quality reel that can handle a little more than a 20lb salmon consistently will give you great freedom in case you find yourself on a family vacation and there are tarpons rolling on the beach, or if you happen to be bass fishing and there is a 30lb musky cruising looking hungry. At least then you don't have to hesitate to make those casts.

I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of composite spools, especially if you intend to load the reel with braid. A lot of stress is put onto the spool when you load with braid, and even more can be put onto the spool when you fight a fish. I would always much prefer an aluminum spool.

If you want a baitrunner style reel, look at Daiwa Regal Plus Bait N' Run or Okuma Epixor Baitrunner. The Shimano Baitrunner D is a great reel but it is not cheap (but not overly expensive for its quality). Unfortunately, my favourite Pflueger does not make a baitrunner reel Sad

Some more great info!!!! Great post, much appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Looking To Buy a New Reel - hoTTuna - 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel - MuskieBait - 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel - MuskieBait - 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel - manitoubass2 - 04-18-2012 12:24 AM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel - MuskieBait - 04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
RE: Looking To Buy a New Reel - bfisher - 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM