You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Suggestion regarding Intro's and Welcoming
05-14-2015, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 12:45 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Suggestion regarding Intro's and Welcoming
Yeah, but you'll now get the "intro" zoomer...one intro, then dwell in the lurker category...

Intros are worst really...one intro, a few BS sentences...and then they have unlimited access without the requirement of any future input. It still doesn't solve the issue.

What is contributed to the forum if you know member XYZ likes to fish for species ABC, they've fished for N years and their so-and-so relative/friend/neighbour/whatever taught them to fish...and that's all they will ever share before "lurking" in the background? It really adds nothing to the forum in terms of discussing techniques, species knowledge, fishing locations or timely fishing reports. It gives a neat historical account of the member...but that's all. One short story may be all that you'll get.

I know...because sometimes I'm digging for into and I'll come upon a report I really, really want to read...so I register for the forum, write a little intro, read the necessary report, and then I may disappear forever. Often times, these forums are catered to fishing in a particular country somewhere in another part of the world...one that I won't have any worthy contributions to share...

However, there are many "lurkers" that will simply sign up and read reports, techniques and locations but will hardly if ever contribute back to the forum...such is the natural law of these forums...

Like I've said to MA before...on any given forums, if you get 5% of the members to post on a regular basis, you're doing well.

As it is, 16 posts still doesn't work. Once a member reached 16 posts, they can go on the "lurk"...as we've seen many times already.

I still believe that an algorithm that can track contributions is the best way to maintain an active forum...a member must contribute X number of posts within N number of days in order to maintain membership...otherwise, their access to the forum material is suspended until they have something to contribute again. Once a new contribution is made, their account is active again for X number of days again.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion regarding Intro's and Welcoming - MuskieBait - 05-14-2015 12:36 AM