You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2014 OSF Multi-Species Challenge!
03-01-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: 2014 OSF Multi-Species Challenge!
I'm not saying anyone should have to travel, I'm thinking of the OSF member out in Alberta who probably wont be entering the contest because of a (in my opinion) baseless rule.

It's Ontario Shore Fishing, so should all the entries be caught from shore too?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Rules are posted.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2014, 06:50 PM
The Alberta res can have my catches, but must supply the camera (LOL) as I usually do not take pic's nor carry a camera.
Sorry just don't care enough to have a pictorial collection of what I have caught. If I do take a pic I will enter and post to MSC.
Could not begin to count all the different species I have caught over the years and only have a few trophies.
Hope everyone has fun with this and good luck.
03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
(03-01-2014 03:13 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Rules are posted.

Can I second Eli's motion to review the Ontario only clause?
03-01-2014, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 10:27 AM by MuskieBait.)
When Michael and I envisioned this challenge last year, the Ontario clause was included to achieve three objectives...

1) Make the playing field fair for participants by restricting it to "local" opportunities (ie, local being Ontario since majority of members here are from Ontario)

...and most importantly

2) To encourage members to explore new local (Ontario) fishing opportunities for new species

3) To encourage members to enjoy under-utilized fisheries

BUT...if a member from Alberta wish to participate, we can amend the rule (or make exception, whichever one is more reasonable) to allow members from other provinces (or even states) to enter species from their local locations. It would be required from the member to state their home province or state at the start of the challenge.

As an aside...

Last year I caught 103 new species...only two were Ontario species...and I probably caught over 70 species (conservatively estimate) that were not new species...some 40 of them probably from Ontario. I would have blew the challenge out of the water Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-02-2014, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 08:07 AM by OldTimer.)
(03-01-2014 11:56 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  When Michael and I envisioned this challenge last year, the Ontario clause was included to achieve three objectives...

1) Make the playing field fair for participants by restricting it to "local" opportunities (ie, local being Ontario since majority of members here are from Ontario)

...and most importantly

2) To encourage members to explore new local (Ontario) fishing opportunities for new species and to enjoy under-utilized fisheries.

Last year I caught 103 new species...only two were Ontario species...and I probably caught over 70 species (conservatively estimate) that were not new species...some 40 of them probably from Ontario. I would have blew the challenge out of the water Tongue

EXACTLY.

IMHO - the challenge should stay within the confines of Ontario... or be restricted to only those species present in Ontario using the most stringent of all the regulations, restrictions, methods and seasons of the province of Ontario.

Level field in all aspects.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-02-2014, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 11:01 AM by MuskieBait.)
Michael or Nick,

Can you add these rule (last year's rule minus the badge) under the page for the 2014 OMC? I think it's important for members to click on the 2014 OMC link and immediately see the challenge rules, instead of searching for last year's conversations for the rules.

Rules:

- All fish species (native, introduced, invasive, micro) count.

- Fishing locations restricted to Ontario ONLY.

- Fish must be caught on hook and line only. NO snagging, bowfishing, or netting. All legal hook and line methods are welcomed.

- All fish must be caught legally within open season and within waters open for fishing of that particulate species (no fishing in sanctuaries, targeting fish outside of fishing season, or targeting fish that has year round closures).

- Out-or-season incidental catches cannot be entered, NO EXCEPTIONS! Incidental catches are defined as species that were unintentionally caught out of season (that is, if you were fishing for Rainbow Trout during open Trout season and you accidentally caught a Largemouth Bass when Bass season has not open, you cannot enter the Bass when it is caught out of season at your fishing location).

- A species entry can only be counted when photographs clearly show identifying characteristics. A blurry picture will disqualify the species entry.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
The rules are posted on this post here, Mike would you be able to move this thread over to the 2014 OSF page instead of us having to create a new thread.
03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
This is the page I'm talking about.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/For...-Challenge

Malama o ke kai

09-20-2014, 10:02 AM
What sort of numbers are the contestants at, is there a chance if a newbie starts now