You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A shore Anglers tackle box...
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 01:36 PM by manitoubass2.)
A shore Anglers tackle box...
When shore angling, I like to be prepared for anything. When I figure out a pattern, I wanna be able to keep on it. Whether it's a jig bite, crank bite or whatever, be prepared!!!

When searching out spots, I fish them hard. If I don't get bit, I'll be trying whatever it takes to figure out that spot, on that day, in those conditions, with that water level/clarity. Then take mental notes to make the next outing that much better. If a spot looks like it holds fish, it probably does. Be prepared to try different baits, techniques etc. When you figure it out, it's amazingly rewarding. Then the next time you hit that spot, you'll have a better idea of where to start.

That being said, nothing is worse then wanting to try a technique, and not having the tackle to do so...

I pack a multi species tackle box, unlike when out in the boat where everything is compartmentalized and categorized. I take one tackle box, and a backpack. Keep pliers, stringer, gloves etc in the backpack, in oder to save room in the tackle box.

I mainly fish walleye/sauger, smallmouth bass and pike. So here is what my tackle box looks like...

Overview

[img][Image: tacklebox2012082.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: tacklebox2012083.jpg][/img]

Pre rigged leaders of various lengths, line
[img][Image: tacklebox2012088.jpg][/img]

Assorted plastics, scented and non scented. I keep each individual bag in a zip lock, then all similar baits in a larger zip lock to keep things organized. These baits will eventually leak into your tackle box, so bag em up!
minnows and leeches
[img][Image: tacklebox2012095.jpg][/img]

worms and tubes
[img][Image: tacklebox2012093.jpg][/img]

Grubs, my favorite!
[img][Image: tacklebox2012092.jpg][/img]

When you alter plastics, keep the bits for tipping, or other aplications
[img][Image: tacklebox2012094.jpg][/img]

jigs, hooks and various sinkers, all kept in container to keep them rust free and organized. Good clips and jig punch always on hand.
[img][Image: tacklebox2012098.jpg][/img]

more to come...
oil based scent, always good to have on hand for murky waters.
[img][Image: tacklebox2012090.jpg][/img]

DT series Rapalas. 10ft down to 4ft. These baits are absolutely awesome, and I like to have some assorted colors for varying water conditions.
[img][Image: tacklebox2012103.jpg][/img]

Shallow cranks, again different depths and colors, rattling and non rattling.Easy to fish and very versatile. Work on bass, pike, walleye etc...
[img][Image: tacklebox2012106.jpg][/img]

lipless cranks for hitting any depth your presented with.
[img][Image: tacklebox2012102.jpg][/img]

x-raps and flat raps for shallow water. Can also be fished deeper with bottom bouncers. the flat raps have really produced for me the past two years, especially on bigger pike.
[img][Image: tacklebox2012104.jpg][/img]

assorted baits, again, covering all your bases
[img][Image: tacklebox2012105.jpg][/img]

Sometimes, these just hammer walleye.
bucktail jigs
[img][Image: tacklebox2012108.jpg][/img]

pre rigged always saves time. I know these produce, so there always ready to fish
[img][Image: tacklebox2012109.jpg][/img]
a few odds and ends
[img][Image: tacklebox2012096.jpg][/img]

pre rigged worms, again, saving time

[img][Image: tacklebox2012110.jpg][/img]

more odds and ends. Always have snap swivels and barrel swivels on hand. When fishing current, the barrel swivel is essential. I use snap swivels for cranks in heavy current, or to find out a color that works, then I tie direct to the lure. Again, saving time

[img][Image: tacklebox2012113.jpg][/img]

crawler harnesses and minnow harnesses can be rigged to fish from shore using a egg sinker tied to a seperate barrel swivel. and top water frogs to fish slop

[img][Image: tacklebox2012114.jpg][/img]

This covers all my bases, and my tackle box weighs about 15lbs. Not too hard to lug around.

Pliers, jaw spreader, bottom bouncers, camera, stringer, garbage bag etc all go into my backpack as to not take up space in the tackle box.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
andre (04-15-2012), MichaelAngelo (02-15-2012)
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
RE: A shore Anglers tackle box...
We almost of the same stuff lol. Except you have more plastic minnows and way more crankbaits.

Do you have much luck on crankbaits?
I seem to catch with them once in a while, but never had enough success to warrant buying new cranks. I think I own three or four. lol
02-15-2012, 12:09 AM
(02-15-2012 12:04 AM)Frank81 Wrote:  We almost of the same stuff lol. Except you have more plastic minnows and way more crankbaits.

Do you have much luck on crankbaits?
I seem to catch with them once in a while, but never had enough success to warrant buying new cranks. I think I own three or four. lol

I catch tons of fish on cranks, I love fishing them. Gotta be in the right situations though
02-15-2012, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 02:15 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Wow a beautiful post showcasing a seasoned tackle set-up with the fish to back it up! Stickied.

Now my issue with my crank baits is I can never seem to get them as deep as I want. by the time I get them deep they're already being pulled up as they approach the dock. Using the R-7 shad rap.

[Image: ShadRapDeep_S.jpg]

If I could cast them further it wouldn't be a problem, but they're so light!

Do you guys ever feel this is an issue?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
MA,

The cranks and stickbaits I posted pics of all cast long, with a few exceptions, like the Rapala Husky jerks.

If you have a good 6'6" rod, a good reel and the right line (8lb mono, or 15lb Suffix 832 braid) you can chuck these baits a mile.
02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Very thanks for showing your tackle box.
Your pix give me a good idea to prepare tackles. ^^.
02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
No problem stonefish, my pleasure...

There are a few things in my pics that are missing, simply because I'm in hardwater mode at the moment, lol.

I would have my worm/offset hooks for texas rigging various plastics.

I would also have 2-3 bass spinner baits, 3/4 oz. or 1oz. For sure, one white and one black. I often carry a chartruesse one as well.

I also carry a few more plastics. Especially Berkley crazy legs chigger craws in Black/red flake.

A few more plastics as well but it varies throughout seasons.
02-18-2012, 09:35 PM
(02-15-2012 11:32 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  MA,

The cranks and stickbaits I posted pics of all cast long, with a few exceptions, like the Rapala Husky jerks.

If you have a good 6'6" rod, a good reel and the right line (8lb mono, or 15lb Suffix 832 braid) you can chuck these baits a mile.

I can see how the line quality affects casting distance, but how would the reel affect casting distance? What makes a good reel?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
It makes a hyyuge difference. As does a rod with Fuji guides.

If you look, good equipment is available for a reasonable price.

For shore angling, I use an Okuma Avenger. Very nice, but low priced so I'm not so worried about fishing it hard. I think it retails for about 35-40 bucks.

The rod you have in your picture from the other day looks pretty rough, lol. I'd be surprised if you could cast 50 ft with that set up...

With my set up (which is also a cheap rod, about 30 bucks) I could snap my wrist lightly and cast 50 yards, lol.

If you have a few extra bucks man, it's well worth the money. I'll pm you the exact set up I have for shore fishing
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (02-19-2012)
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
my shore fishing kit all fits in a backpack. It includes:
- 1 large flat plano box for big cranks, hooks, spoons, and rapalas
- 1 long handle collapsible net (most of the places you'll fish have very tall walls, or drop offs to the water. You don't want to harm the fish or break your line "flipping it" on shore.
- Pliers, spreaders, hook cutters (very much mandatory for pike).
- 1 landing glove...try and keep fish in the water and off of pavement, grass, or the ground. A glove will protect your hands from teeth and hooks and give you a good grip.
- 1 spool of flouro leader material
- 1 spool of extra line (better safe than sorry)
- 1 bag or 2 of soft plastics if nothing else is working.
- 1 ziplock bag of corn kernels if you want to target Carp - you'll often see packs swim by.

Also, important....Good Shoes! - you'll be walking a lot to cover water.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to photo_rob for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-10-2012)