You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Abu Garcia Cardinal 101i reels
02-18-2013, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 06:27 PM by MuskieBait.)
Abu Garcia Cardinal 101i reels
I use the Abu Garci Cardinal 101i reels for icefishing. At the time, the reel only cost $29.99 (I think it may have been a sale price though...most places list it at $34.99). So far, the reel has performed flawlessly.

On the last couple of trips, one of my reel feels "stiff" when the reel is cold. I suspected that perhaps some water had gone into the reel. It was my fault since the last time I used this reel, I had dropped it into slush and left it there for more than a minute. I suspected that water had entered the spool, the anti-reverse mechanism, and the body.

Indeed, water had entered from somewhere and gummed up the grease. That was why the reel was ceasing up in cold weather.

However, what I wanted to say was not how this reel was ceasing up. Again, that was my own operator mistake.

When I cleaned and serviced the reel today (for the first time in years since I had this reel), I was amazed by how well this reel was constructed. The anti-reverse was robust, the pinion was brass, the main drive gear looks to be of a solid metal, and it was amazingly simply constructed. I didn't have any schematics of the reel, but I was able to take it apart and put it back together without a hitch.

For $29.99, it was a great deal in my mind. Good gear does not need to be expensive...and expensive gear does not always mean quality and dependability.

It looks like that the Cardinal 100 series has been replaced by the new Cardinal S series at the same $29.99. Only time will tell how the S reels will perform...but if the S series is constructed with similar body plan and similar components, I would definitely get a 100 size Cardinal S if I need a new icefishing reel for a new combo.

BTW, DO NOT EVER get the Okuma UL10 reel...it's a piece of junk compared to this reel, even if the Okuma UL10 was $19.99. Spend the extra $10 and you'll get a reel that will last you at least a few years if not more.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply