You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Any Panfish in the Durham area?
06-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Any Panfish in the Durham area?
Hey folks,

Just curious if there's any particular creeks/lakes/ponds etc in the Durham area that I need to be targeting for Panfish? I've tried Frenchman's bay and all I was able to pull out today were a couple of now dead Gobi's.

I'd like to find and try a few spots out so that I can take my daughter out to them and get her started with catching fish.

General area pointers would help. Specifics not required. I know that's frowned upon, but I wouldn't say no to a PM or two with specific info.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Any Panfish in the Durham area?
Scarborough Bluffs, lots of panfish in the lagoon surrounding the yacht club... I know that's outside Durham Region but not too far.
06-11-2017, 06:16 PM
(06-11-2017 01:33 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Scarborough Bluffs, lots of panfish in the lagoon surrounding the yacht club... I know that's outside Durham Region but not too far.

I've hit the storm water ponds at the bluffs but not the lagoon itself. I'll give it a shot. Any particular areas, or just anywhere I can find bank access?

Thanks!
06-13-2017, 08:25 AM
There's plenty of access along the public road/path that leads along the mainland side of the lagoon towards the beach, you just have to push through the bushes and awkwardly stand on the rip rap. Try there just east of the bridge to the yacht club, or at the bridge itself. Been a while since I've fished there though.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tweedwolfscream for this post:
Dusty_D (06-13-2017)
06-13-2017, 08:58 AM
(06-13-2017 08:25 AM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  There's plenty of access along the public road/path that leads along the mainland side of the lagoon towards the beach, you just have to push through the bushes and awkwardly stand on the rip rap. Try there just east of the bridge to the yacht club, or at the bridge itself. Been a while since I've fished there though.

I'll give it a shot next time I'm there. Thanks! Smile
06-13-2017, 02:24 PM
i had the same struggles last year got the fishing bug and didnt know where to fish and what to use. im not a pro but my suggestion is hit the locks in the kawarthas. buckhorn, youngs point etc pan fish like crazy with a bobber and a 2.5inch gulp minow on a small gighead. caught alot of panfish already this year mainly at buckhorn lock, bit of a drive but worth it for me anyway. Bass open this weekend and then you can go all up the Otonabee river tons of shore spots all the way up to Lakefeild (use google maps start at Rice lake and scroll all the way up you will find the spots) and then launch a wacky rig worm and hold on not huge Bass but always a good time. another promising spot looks to be the Scugog river. take a look.

good luck and always good fishing
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BassA for this post:
Dusty_D (06-13-2017)
06-13-2017, 04:57 PM
(06-13-2017 02:24 PM)BassA Wrote:  i had the same struggles last year got the fishing bug and didnt know where to fish and what to use. im not a pro but my suggestion is hit the locks in the kawarthas. buckhorn, youngs point etc pan fish like crazy with a bobber and a 2.5inch gulp minow on a small gighead. caught alot of panfish already this year mainly at buckhorn lock, bit of a drive but worth it for me anyway. Bass open this weekend and then you can go all up the Otonabee river tons of shore spots all the way up to Lakefeild (use google maps start at Rice lake and scroll all the way up you will find the spots) and then launch a wacky rig worm and hold on not huge Bass but always a good time. another promising spot looks to be the Scugog river. take a look.

good luck and always good fishing

Excellent info and more or less in line with my findings. I did hit the Lock 22 and 19 up in Peterborough but found out about Lakefield only after I got back. I'll definitely be winding my way back that way once I'm back from vacation mid-july. Thanks BassA!