You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Waubaushene / Port Severn area for Pike. . . ?
05-21-2016, 11:01 PM
Waubaushene / Port Severn area for Pike. . . ?
Hey All,

I have fished Port Severn last year with *some* success, but not enough to boast. I mainly stayed around the Dam / Spill way and surrounding walking areas.

Smallmouth in the 4-6lb range, Largemouth the same. . .

Was Curious if anyone had any good leads on a decently accessible spot in the Port Severn or Waubaushene area . . . .Would really like to land some nice Pike this year, as they always seem to elude me.

I usually drive from the city (Toronto) to whatever location, and fish from 6am to 1-2pm, depending on the action - usually have to be home in the Afternoon / early evening. . .so, I try to keep it within a 2 hour driving range. . .

Any spots, bait recommendation, or general information would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2017, 07:05 AM
RE: Waubaushene / Port Severn area for Pike. . . ?
I've heard that the government dock in Waubashene is a reliable spot for shore fishing, though I haven't tried it myself. It's certainly well-situated along the one deep channel into Matchedash Bay. The only concrete tip I can give you is that we found the evening, in particular the first hour after sunset, to be the best time to fish Sturgeon Bay for pike - certainly more so than dawn. Like you, I've caught more bass in the morning.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mwerneburg for this post:
Olduvai_Phoenix (03-16-2017)
03-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Cool, man. Thanks for the tip. You using Live Bait or using some Artificial?

In Toronto right now the Pike are heavy in the right areas. . .gotta fish for them real slow with Suspending Jerk Baits. . . Though, a nice 4-6" shiner on a slip bobber is quite the trick as well. . .

Go figure February was fine - but now we get a sudden cold snap in March, lmfao! Hoping to get out this weekend for some more before the close of season at the end of the month!
03-16-2017, 06:21 PM
The next "lock" up the system from Port Severn is Big Chute, about 20km north by road. There's plenty of good water access in the surrounding area, you just have to be willing to "bushwhack" a bit. Check out the area on Google Earth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Deadfisher for this post:
Olduvai_Phoenix (03-17-2017)
03-16-2017, 11:04 PM
(03-16-2017 05:31 PM)Olduvai_Phoenix Wrote:  Cool, man. Thanks for the tip. You using Live Bait or using some Artificial?

In Toronto right now the Pike are heavy in the right areas. . .gotta fish for them real slow with Suspending Jerk Baits. . . Though, a nice 4-6" shiner on a slip bobber is quite the trick as well. . .

Go figure February was fine - but now we get a sudden cold snap in March, lmfao! Hoping to get out this weekend for some more before the close of season at the end of the month!

Too warm for ice fishing in February, too cold for shore fishing in March. I haven't been out since Christmas! 8^O

I've used a variety of live & lures to catch pike up in the Severn inlet area, when they're biting they'll go after just about anything.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mwerneburg for this post:
Olduvai_Phoenix (03-17-2017)
03-17-2017, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 05:54 PM by Olduvai_Phoenix.)
I know right?! I was out Ice Fishing in January and February. There is a small lake in Orangeville that probably still has Ice (Island Lake) and its full of little Pike. 2-5lb range.

Winter Pike in Toronto are something else though, im really hoping to land one this year. . . But, with the sudden cold snap - I worry many of the Marina's and Bays have a small sheen of ice. . . Ashame, my one friend who works random schedules has been able to get out there a lot this season and has pulled 10-17lbs quite frequently from the Lake Shore. . . Sometimes I hate having a Monday - Friday with Occasional Saturday Overtime Sad
(03-16-2017 06:21 PM)Deadfisher Wrote:  The next "lock" up the system from Port Severn is Big Chute, about 20km north by road. There's plenty of good water access in the surrounding area, you just have to be willing to "bushwhack" a bit. Check out the area on Google Earth.

That sounds like it will make a great spot for me and the gf later this spring / early summer. We arent afraid of a hike.

How is the Pike Bite into the Summer? If nada, Bass? Walleyes? Thanks for the tip, man!