You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anyone else experience this?
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: Anyone else experience this?
(07-09-2013 08:27 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  ANY "PEACE OFFICER"
Can Charge a person with a violation of the law.

BINGO!

I've been checked by MNR, OPP, Ottawa Police, and NCC (National Capital Commission) officers. They are all well within their legal rights to check your license, catch, etc. and to issue a fine/court summons if you're guilty of a natural resources offence.

A few month ago I reported a gaggle of poachers to the MNR. The officer later thanked me and told me that they will all have to appear in an Ontario court (they had QC plates so the drive will add a bit of insult the injuryBig Grin) and will be given stiff fines.
My opinion: that's the way to do it. I can' be bothered putting myself at risk trying to educate criminals. I'd rather make the call and see that they get whats coming to them.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I have to agree with the general sentiment on this board. It's a good thing to report issues like this but I don't think I would ever get involved by confronting the person that is violating the law. It's the same as seeing a speeder go by, unless the violation was serious I doubt anyone would bother to call the police to report it. In this way I think the fishing violation in this case was similar.

I personally believe that people that keep fish with no intention to consume it is based on inexperience. If I never went fishing and caught a large fish for the first time, I think I would want to keep it in some irrational trophy kind of way. Now that I have been fishing for years, all I really want is a picture with them and I set them free. With that being the case, I need a 7 lbs bass to land on my line, I just want a picture with you lol!
07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
I was fishing this pond over the weekend and saw another angler. I don't see many at this pond, since it's not a great fishery. I talked to him a bit and he told me that he caught a small carp and some bullheads. He even gave me some tips on carp fishing. After a few minutes, I noticed that he had three rods in the water. I didn't say anything, about his violation, since he was quite helpful. He seemed like a nice guy. It's a shame he's a criminal.
07-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Hey Giuga, I think I know which pond you're talking about. I barely fish there anymore. Although I was in almost a similar situation a while back. I have 2 rods One is casted and the light action on was rigged but not casted. Another guy came by with 3 rods (maybe the same guy?). He casted 1 and i'm sure by the rig he's after carp. As he was about to cast his next...I gestured the no with my index finger. He looked at me and angrily asked what my problem is I have 2 rods. So I told him If he sees 2 rods in the water. Obviously he doesn't. He then dared for me to call MNR. So I told him since what he's doing is illegal...I might call the cops first and he can deal with MNR later. He folded.