You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anyone else experience this?
06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Anyone else experience this?
(06-06-2013 12:27 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I understand that you are protective of your local pond, but does the punishment actually fit the crime? A man wants to spend several hours of his time to catch a few fish, maybe for his dinner, when it is probably more cost effective and safer to buy them at the grocery store, and you want him prosecuted or fined several hundred dollars? That's harsh justice for intruding on your pond, IMO.

If this is how you feel, then I encourage you to find like-minded individuals and petition to have fines for such infractions reduced. However, there will be plenty of people that don't share your views. Our natural resources are held near and dear by many and are a critical aspect of Ontario's economy. The punishments are steep for a reason.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
Giuga10 (06-06-2013)
06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
(06-06-2013 12:27 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I generally don't bother other anglers and also don't expect others to ask me questions about what I'm going to do with the fish, since that is not their business. It is not illegal to eat fish that you catch.

I understand that you are protective of your local pond, but does the punishment actually fit the crime? A man wants to spend several hours of his time to catch a few fish, maybe for his dinner, when it is probably more cost effective and safer to buy them at the grocery store, and you want him prosecuted or fined several hundred dollars? That's harsh justice for intruding on your pond, IMO.

If he wants to spend those hours fishing legally he can go right ahead. If you witnessed a shooting would you call the police? It's a crime right... But what if he was just getting back at the guy for attacking his family? Should we feel bad for him and hold off on calling the police? NO. Is fishing with three rods in the water a crime? YES. So do what you're supposed to do and report him.

It seems like you enjoy stirring things up on this forum? You go completely against what should be the obvious correct answer... (opening day fun, anyone?). If you feel so much against this rule CALL THE MNR!!?? Jeez.

Ignorance....
06-06-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 06:14 AM by OldTimer.)
My slant on this:

3 rods is against the law............... period.

Let those that are responsible for enforcing the law do so. That's their job.

Report crime to the proper authority and provide information. That's our job. But this does not include confrontational action and argument. Ignoring a bad situation rarely results in good.

Stereotyping negative or criminal behaviour to any "group" is BS..............period. We must not support such or even consider debate in this area.

What someone plans to do with their eatable catch is their business. If it's not consumed and prove-able - then that is against the law.

You go lookin' fer trouble - you will find it. It's better just to be smarter than stupid law breaking jerks. Truth is truth........ think.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-06-2013, 07:45 PM
(06-06-2013 03:41 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  If you witnessed a shooting would you call the police? It's a crime right... But what if he was just getting back at the guy for attacking his family? Should we feel bad for him and hold off on calling the police? NO. Is fishing with three rods in the water a crime? YES. So do what you're supposed to do and report him.

It's dumb to compare shooting someone to fishing with three rods. And it's not a crime, it's a fishing regulations violation.

(06-06-2013 03:41 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  It seems like you enjoy stirring things up on this forum? You go completely against what should be the obvious correct answer... (opening day fun, anyone?). If you feel so much against this rule CALL THE MNR!!?? Jeez.

Ignorance....

Not really. You seem very confrontational, yourself. Maybe there's more to this story, with him chasing you.
Find all posts by this user
06-07-2013, 06:55 AM
"Abuse of our natural resources reduces opportunities for everyone....."

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...66027.html

See you on the river.
06-07-2013, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 08:10 AM by MuskieBait.)
(06-06-2013 07:45 PM)angler1 Wrote:  And it's not a crime, it's a fishing regulations violation.

Crime

1. an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden or the omission of a duty that is commanded by a public law and that makes the offender liable to punishment by that law; especially : a gross violation of law

2. a grave offense especially against morality

3. criminal activity <efforts to fight crime>

4. something reprehensible, foolish, or disgraceful <it's a crime to waste good food>

Violation

2. a breach or infringement, as of a law or promise.

When you do not abide by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (provincial) and Fishery Act (federal), you breach or infringed a law (violation) that is punishable by the law (crime). Thus, it satisfies the definition of a crime.

Poaching is a crime according to the MNR

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...66028.html

"Poaching is a serious and costly crime. It robs ethical anglers and hunters of game and fish, and robs all citizens of our valuable wildlife resources. Poaching can be reduced if concerned citizens report the signs of suspected illegal activity."

**Note: serious violations against the Fishery Act can be charged and tried under the Criminal Code in certain instances and it can leave a criminal record if found guilty.

http://www.admiraltylaw.com/fisheries/Pa...ations.htm

**Note: Sentencing is often case dependent.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-07-2013, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 07:00 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
Rules are set in place,
And to be honest, We are not permitted to ask for information about an angler if we think they are doing something wrong.
All we can do is report it, we may have some very underfunded conservation law efforts, but if the calls are not made the statistics suggest there is no reason to fund that area.

If you see someone fishing in a wrong manner, dont suggest you even care about what they are doing, a legitimate angler will openly talk to you.

I see people all the time fishing with more than one rod, and to be honest.
I always stand back and tell them I dont care what they are doing, It's none of my business...

99% of the time they are not asian.....

Lets get off the racial subject.
and focus on good times...

If you see a problem do not try to correct it yourself, step back and make the call...

~Jeremy

06-07-2013, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 08:53 PM by MuskieBait.)
Jeremy, you can always educate. You don't have to ask if they are doing something wrong. You can see they are doing something wrong (like poaching for bass on beds at Center Island in May). I've spoke to some people who were genuinely oblivious of the regulations. I will at least try to inform them (and try to be polite especially when I see families fishing). That is at least part of what the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors are trying to do. Educate the public.

I also see such approach as giving people a chance. If they will listen and either stop their illegal activity or go home, then I'll give them the chance to go scat free. But if they persist even after I've spoken with them, then the cell phone comes out and I call 222-tips. Simple as that.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
(06-07-2013 08:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Jeremy, you can always educate. You don't have to ask if they are doing something wrong. You can see they are doing something wrong (like poaching for bass on beds at Center Island in May). I've spoke to some people who were genuinely oblivious of the regulations. I will at least try to inform them (and try to be polite especially when I see families fishing). That is at least part of what the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors are trying to do. Educate the public.

I also see such approach as giving people a chance. If they will listen and either stop their illegal activity or go home, then I'll give them the chance to go scat free. But if they persist even after I've spoken with them, then the cell phone comes out and I call 222-tips. Simple as that.

Sounds like a good method. I'm adopting it.
06-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I guess lynching is out then huh?..............smile

See you on the river.