You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Book Review: Carp Fishing in Canada
01-05-2015, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 02:04 PM by zippyFX.)
Book Review: Carp Fishing in Canada
Carp Fishing in Canada
By Tony Benham with Fritz Vatteer

I bought this directly from the author at: http://www.carpfishingincanada.com/ for $24.95 (shipping included). I found it at about half the price at some online places but by the time you factor in shipping though I would not have saved much. If you have one of these spots close to you, you could save about $14.00.

The book is 336 pages and is high quality glossy paper paperback. Each page has many full colour pictures that add to it's content.

This book is great for the beginning and intermediate carp fisherman as it it goes to great length to break down each of the fishing techniques described. Most are likely new to the beginner and should fill in many knowledge gaps for those at the intermediate level.

The book has seven chapters and covers carp in general, ledgering (bolt rigging, quiver techniques), float fishing, baits and attractants, tackle crafts. I found the float fishing chapters the most interesting as I had not been exposed to it before. They also provide some instructions on how to mate a UL ice fishing with a heavier rod to create your own quiver tip rod. I am thinking about giving it a go this winter.

Each of the areas are covered in depth with anecdotal commentary that make it easy to read. The sentence and paragraph structure are short and can come across as choppy and lacks a continuous narrative. On the flip side this allows them to cover more material in a systematic manner. Each area covered is broken into easy to follow steps with checklists and gear overview. Some of the instructions can get very detailed and can be pedantic to an experienced fisherman but can be useful to the beginner.

They do a great job presenting some of the state of the art techniques from Europe but in the end much of the subtly can be lost in Canadian waters that have a higher density of carp. Though the book is called carp fishing in Canada there is very little that is Canada specific (they do not give any fishing spot information) other that some of the anecdotes.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend it as good reading for anyone interested in a broad perspective on Carp fishing.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
OldTimer (01-05-2015)
06-02-2021, 03:47 PM
RE: Book Review: Carp Fishing in Canada
Sounds interesting, thanks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply