You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Book Review: Fishing for Buffalo
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 10:11 AM by zippyFX.)
Book Review: Fishing for Buffalo
Fishing for Buffalo
A Guide to the Pursuit and Cuisine of Carp, Suckers, Eelpout, Gar, and other Roughfish
By Rob Buffler and Tom Dickson

While reading some fishing forums I was lead to an article which mentioned this book. I looked it up and was curious; Having another indigo gift card burning a hole in my wallet I ordered the book. I am really glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. It was a nice light read with a pleasant folksy narrative. It has provided me with a informal reference on roughfishing with obscure anecdotal details I am not sure I would have found else where.

This book discusses 41 different roughfish and presents each in an interesting manner. Probably my favorite element of the book is that the authors start with a historical and cultural work up which either describes how a native species was seen by early explorers and settlers or how non-native species of roughfish were introduced and their impacts. It describes how the popularity of fish in local culture grew and waned and why. Interestingly, when applicable, it also provide information on how these roughfish played a part in the lives Native Americans. The authors describes how many of the once abundant roughfish were fished to the point of collapse and describe the slow road to recovery. The book also provide an informal, but informative, description of how the fish lives, feeds, and reproduces, and a description of the habitats it prefers all in an unstructured informal format. This is not a textbook just a nicely laid out read.

Also provided are fishing techniques to catch each of the roughfish and recipes for each of the roughfish. Interestingly enough the authors liked the taste of each and everyone of the roughfish.

This book is based on fishing experiences in and around Minnesota, Wisconsin and some of the southern states; and the book is peppered with details about fishing in these areas. With Ontario being so close to Wisconsin and Minnesota I found that this did not detract from the value of the book as there is an nice overlap via the Great Lakes and the fact that most of the fish discussed are in our waters.

The book was originally published in 1990 and it looks like it was updated in 2009 with a glossy new cover and likely a slightly changed format. Unfortunately the pictures in this book are all in black and white and can be dated and grainy. Had I seen this book in the stores I may not have picked it up because of the pictures as a quick flip through it may have turned me off of it. That would have been a shame as the information in the book stands the test of time though and is as applicable today as when the book was written.

An interesting read and perspective on roughing in our part of the world that kept me reading and entertained.

Parts of the book can be seen on Google here:
http://books.google.ca/books/about/Fishi...edir_esc=y

Another positive review of the book can be found here:
http://www.flyfishohio.com/fishing_for_buffalo.htm
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
MikeH (01-25-2013), OldTimer (01-25-2013)