You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Broke my rod :(
09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Sad Broke my rod :(
I'm very upset about it too. I've had that rod forever. It was a 4.5 foot rod and I loved it because I found all other rods way too big for me. It was the metal collar that the top part of the rod slips into when you join them that broke, so there's no fixing it. I went out yesterday to buy a new one, but the shortest I could find was 5 foot. I went out with it afterwards to try it out, but it just feels weird. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2013, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 02:07 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Broke my rod :(
I can appreciate the pain........... an old rod is like an old friend.

Sounds like you have an older solid fibreglass rod with metal ferrules and simple chrome plated wire guides. A lot of us grew up with these rods many moons ago............

Tackle shops that have been around a long time may have the parts and you might be able to do the fix yourself.

Having a pro fix it will cost you more than the rod is truly worth and not advised.

The parts are available on line....... the following is just an example and I have no idea if this seller is or is not reputable:

http://www.mudhole.com/Ferrules/Brass-Fe...ome-Plated

Keep an eye out at garage sales and at Value Village type stores.......... I have seen such there occasionally.

But in a way - this may be the event that leads you to learning new skills and an appreciation for more current rod designs of increased length that will no doubt aid in your future success and enjoyment.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Last year I found a 4'6" southbend ultra light rod at wallmart in the fall; Very useful and handy.

Yeah, don't lecture me on Walmart, they are my establishment of last resort and I cross the line about once a month for minor purchases.
09-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Sorry for your loss there sonic. I went through almost the same thing 3 years ago... and just like OT said it propelled my fishing to more successful (and more expensive) levels. I used to fish exclusively with this old black/orange fiberglass rod my grandfather used to use. I didn't know at the time, but I was using a spincast rod with a spinning reel. I wasn't getting much distance with my casts and it was affecting my fishing without me even thinking about it. The tip eventually broke off it and I stopped using it.

a 7' medium graphite rod, once you get used to it, will be a great step forward Wink. I recently went back to trying one of my grandfather's other old fiberglass rods and didn't like it one bit after getting used to newer "technology" Tongue

The fiberglass rods sure do cast farther than their graphite equivalents though....

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-30-2013, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 04:31 PM by OldTimer.)
(09-30-2013 03:35 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  The fiberglass rods sure do cast farther than their graphite equivalents though....

Have you tried increasing the length of the line - from tip to lure - by about a foot to 18" more than used on a glass rod ----- and then use that length to load the graphite rod more by starting the cast sequence with the rod pointing in front of you and a bit more to the side............ similar to the way one "loads" up a fly rod just prior to the back swing and then again before the final thrust forward?

Helps me a lot.

OT

See you on the river.
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
(09-30-2013 04:08 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(09-30-2013 03:35 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  The fiberglass rods sure do cast farther than their graphite equivalents though....

Have you tried increasing the length of the line - from tip to lure - by about a foot to 18" more than used on a glass rod ----- and then use that length to load the graphite rod more by starting the cast sequence with the rod pointing in front of you and a bit more to the side............ similar to the way one "loads" up a fly rod just prior to the back swing and then again before the final thrust forward?

Helps me a lot.

OT

I tried that a few days ago at the pier actually. I got a more distance out of my hat, lunch, and gloves that were in a plastic bag behind me than I did with my lure.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 06:13 PM by OldTimer.)
(09-30-2013 05:29 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(09-30-2013 04:08 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  

Helps me a lot.

OT

I tried that a few days ago at the pier actually. I got a more distance out of my hat, lunch, and gloves that were in a plastic bag behind me than I did with my lure.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

See!

It works.......!!!!!!!!

........ get any hits on yer lunch?

I'll stay away from the "hat trick" jokes................. smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-01-2013, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 05:58 PM by fishfight.)
Kiiji has tons of old rod sold cheap this week, similar to what you want, you can for sure haggle on them. should pay between $2-$5 for one of those.

However, material on sport equipments have come a long ways. Quality has gone up while price have gone down and being mass produce in China. One can buy a decent 7 ft sensitive but strong rod for $15 at walmart or CT stores. I used to love my Made in France Mitchel 300 metal reel, very heavy and not as smooth compared to today's reel, it had only one drag washer, I landed lots of salmon 15 years ago with it, drag was sticky at times, but was used to the 15 lb old mono that was in it. Until I switch from that old reel to today's more advance technology reel. I will never go back to that reel again. Imagine using a rotary phone to dial someone one number at a time, then the number did not work cause you did not turn all the way, versus just say " call Mom" and the phone dials by itself? Or having a life with no internet? Which some people still believe they do not need an internet.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to fishfight for this post:
MichaelAngelo (10-07-2013)
10-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I went out again yesterday and looked around some more for anything shorter than 5 ft but there's nothing so I guess I'm gonna stick to what I got.

Here she is:
Twilite Combo

I still won't let my husband throw out my old rod though Tongue
11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
(09-30-2013 01:29 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  I'm very upset about it too. I've had that rod forever. It was a 4.5 foot rod and I loved it because I found all other rods way too big for me. It was the metal collar that the top part of the rod slips into when you join them that broke, so there's no fixing it. I went out yesterday to buy a new one, but the shortest I could find was 5 foot. I went out with it afterwards to try it out, but it just feels weird. Sad

I have broken a few rods also. I picked up a MEd, Light 7,6 Ugly stick ( love it) comes with a life time guaranty , hade this rod for 20 years now its tuff and unbreakable Smile