You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Call about fishing ban, or maybe take up knitting instead
06-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Call about fishing ban, or maybe take up knitting instead
Toronto city parks General manager 416-392-8182

Be polite, please take 2 minutes out of your day and call. Ask the admin to connect you with someone who can explain the reason for the new no fishing ban, which parks are affected and why there was no public consultation.

Two minutes out of your day to let them know this is not going past easily.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: Call about fishing ban, or maybe take up knitting instead
Not going to take knitting up...just going to spend my money elsewhere.

I spend $40/month on fishing...save that money for a year, and I have $480 to fly south to Florida where they appreciate my tourism money as an angler.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I recently got a 20 dollar gift cert using my points at Bass pro, which means I spent $2000 in the last twelve months......

06-07-2012, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 12:07 PM by MuskieBait.)
I don't even want to think how much I spend on tackle a year...that's not within the $40/month fishing budget I quoted. The $40/month is basically just for gas money.

I've basically fished less locally this year compared to the last two years ever since the City is undecided about where it stands on the issue of lakeshore shore fishing access. My fishing budget used to be $100/month, but I have decided to instead save $60/month so I can still get my fishing fix OUTSIDE of Toronto. I've planned all my trips since then to retaliate against spending my fishing money in the City. With the latest development I had no intention to spend my remaining $40 in the City...not even to Toronto Islands to fish for carp and bowfin...which was originally what the $40 was reserved for.

Heck, this year alone, I've already taken a $400 trip to Ottawa to fish on the Vic. Day long weekend.

I'll be taking another short trip south for the Canada Day weekend that would cost about $400 as well.

At the end of July, I have a big trip planned for a 2-week fishing vacation that will likely cost about $1400.

Too bad the City of Toronto is missing out all my dollars this year...or I guess thanks to the City, I have all these new options to consider.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Buck up! The glass is half full.....................

There's still a few days before the next Executive Council meeting.............. I for one plan to keep on trying (as I have been the last few days) to get some more attention focused here.

At least I'll go down fighting for a great cause - and one I believe is well worth my while and that of others, both in TO, and in other cities where this scenario could happen, should this inane concept spread.

If you live in the TO area and support fishing - call your ridings council person and express your dismay and disappointment - professionally and calmly. They are the ones, you the public, can replace. We can't effectively get at hired or appointed city personnel.

If you have online access to a TO newspaper (Star/Sun/etc)editorial section or opinions area - speak your mind there, without aggressive emotion, slander, or empty threats.

Review the actual facts - the original council vote even though not that necessary to get passing immediately,- it was a majority............ a few more on our side would have made all this broo-ha-ha non existent.

All we gotta do is try to sway a few more heads (and their votes) our way to accomplish this quest.............. We first must get past the executive committee, and get this issue back to the city council.

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-08-2012, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 03:47 PM by Magikarp.)
Does anyone really know what they mean by a fishing ban? it sounds bad if you like fishing and id hate to see toronto turn away fishing for everyone but what does it mean like fishing in general is banned or only in certain parks/rivers or special areas? I hadn't herd a thing about this until i read it so i guess ill go look up information on it but it just seams silly to say no fishing anywhere in toronto city limits. maybe rob ford will see this as the war on fishing just like he loves to talk about the war on cars who knows.

so apparently its just for the harbour front. which kinda sucks but then again the water quality in the harbour is terrible so maybe its best there is no fishing there. might be in your best interest health wise lol. at least we have toronto island. I'm guessing someone probably got hooked walking along the board walk so they are shutting it down good thing is lake ontario is big they only closed .1% of it the rest is good to go!

Bro When I Say Its Good To Fish Its Good To FISH!
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
(06-08-2012 12:29 AM)Magikarp Wrote:  Does anyone really know what they mean by a fishing ban? it sounds bad if you like fishing and id hate to see toronto turn away fishing for everyone but what does it mean like fishing in general is banned or only in certain parks/rivers or special areas? I hadn't herd a thing about this until i read it so i guess ill go look up information on it but it just seams silly to say no fishing anywhere in toronto city limits. maybe rob ford will see this as the war on fishing just like he loves to talk about the war on cars who knows.

so apparently its just for the harbour front. which kinda sucks but then again the water quality in the harbour is terrible so maybe its best there is no fishing there. might be in your best interest health wise lol. at least we have toronto island. I'm guessing someone probably got hooked walking along the board walk so they are shutting it down good thing is lake ontario is big they only closed .1% of it the rest is good to go!

Water quality is not that bad along the harbour front. There is no health issue at all unless the City post up an E.coli warning, but that's mainly for swimmers who may ingest water during their swim.

If someone was hooked and that was reported, I want to see the police report to back up the reason to shut down the entire harbour front. If not, there is no hazard issue at all.

We're getting more and more into a policed state. Stupid people will always do stupid things despite rules and protective measures. Earlier in the year, someone fell into the lake early in the morning...not because he was fishing, but because he was stupid flirting with the edge of the harbour on a cold and slippery day. You can't fix stupid...and punishing everyone else because of a couple bad apples is not fair at all.

If they decide to maintain the No Fishing zone, then I would demand that they install designated fishing areas in all the traditional fishing grounds along the harbour front. I would demand that fishing piers and platforms to be built such that we can continue our hobby in these designated areas. After all, most large cities of North America allow fishing along their water front right downtown. And we call Toronto a world-class international city?

Malama o ke kai

06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
(06-08-2012 12:29 AM)Magikarp Wrote:  so apparently its just for the harbour front. which kinda sucks but then again the water quality in the harbour is terrible so maybe its best there is no fishing there. might be in your best interest health wise lol. at least we have toronto island. I'm guessing someone probably got hooked walking along the board walk so they are shutting it down good thing is lake ontario is big they only closed .1% of it the rest is good to go!

Wow! You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

I have to say that I am appalled at the lack of interest on this forum in trying to fight this.

06-09-2012, 03:40 PM
(06-08-2012 12:29 AM)Magikarp Wrote:  Does anyone really know what they mean by a fishing ban? it sounds bad if you like fishing and id hate to see toronto turn away fishing for everyone but what does it mean like fishing in general is banned or only in certain parks/rivers or special areas? I hadn't herd a thing about this until i read it so i guess ill go look up information on it but it just seams silly to say no fishing anywhere in toronto city limits. maybe rob ford will see this as the war on fishing just like he loves to talk about the war on cars who knows.

Wow.............. your "look up" regarding information should prove both informative and (hopefully) enlightening.

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-10-2012, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 12:30 AM by Magikarp.)
There are bigger problems in the world than a fishing ban. and the point of a forum is to discus and learn more so this is where i can find out useful information and get called out by people who take fishing far to seriously. Remeber we do this to relax?
(06-09-2012 03:40 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  

Wow.............. your "look up" regarding information should prove both informative and (hopefully) enlightening.

Regards,

OldTimer

Bro it totally Did!

Bro When I Say Its Good To Fish Its Good To FISH!
Find all posts by this user