You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Carp Fishing Tackle in Toronto
04-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Carp Fishing Tackle in Toronto
Anyone know anywhere in Toronto where they sell Carp Fishing Tackle, like wide gape hooks, baiting needles, boilies, etc?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: Carp Fishing Tackle in Toronto
I saw a bit of stuff at Al Flaherty. Their selection is pretty limited, but if you need something quickly, they could be a source.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2013, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 03:35 PM by MikeH.)
(04-10-2013 12:53 PM)angler1 Wrote:  Anyone know anywhere in Toronto where they sell Carp Fishing Tackle, like wide gape hooks, baiting needles, boilies, etc?

Both of the local Sail stores have a Carp fishing aisle with wide gape hooks, bags of boilies, needles, cage feeders etc. There's one in vaughn and one near Sherway Gardens.
If you need decent Carp rods and reels, tripods, etc then I usually buy online at http://www.carpkit.com/ or http://newworldcarp.com/osc/ both these guys are local.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MikeH for this post:
angler1 (04-11-2013)
04-11-2013, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 08:26 AM by angler1.)
Thanks, I will try carpkit.com, although, I couldn't find anywhere on their website that states where they are actually located.
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
(04-11-2013 08:25 AM)angler1 Wrote:  Thanks, I will try carpkit.com, although, I couldn't find anywhere on their website that states where they are actually located.

http://www.carpkit.com
1020 Kennedy Circle, Hawthorne RPO# 30017
Milton, Ontario L9T 08L
Canada
info@carpkit.com

I have bought a lot of stuff from them, usually comes Canada post.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Carp Kit was also recommended to me on an other forum:

"Well, if you're ready for a road trip the best I know by far is Carp Kit. The ad is on the Carp Anglers Group forum, which you've probably seen( carpkit.com ). Anyhoo, the local distributor is a nice fellow named Simon and he sell right from his home in Oakville. It's about 5 minutes off the 401.

You can order stuff though him on-line and have it delivered, or pick it up at his place. Or you can just go shopping at his place( need to make an appointed first though, on-line or by phone, so he's at home when you come ). Lots of product!!!"
04-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Carpkit is based in Milton - you can't go visit any more, but you can collect in person if you want to save on shipping.

And if it's not on the website - ask - Simon has a LOT of stuff!

"I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle".

Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey, guys,

I ordered some tackle form Carp Kit, but some of it was not appropriate for what I wanted and I didn't get everything that I needed. I got overwhlemed by all the different tackle and gadgets! I need some advice on what I need to order, please.

What I was trying to order was the tackle to build a simple inline bolt rig, since it seems easier than the safety bolt rig. I still haven't found online an explanation and diagrams of how to build this. Also, I need the right baiting needle for boilies and artificial corn.

What kind of line, rod and reel should I use? For carp around 10-15lb can I use my meduim power spinning rod and reel that I got from Canadian Tire? It seems a bit flimsy for big fish, and maybe too weak to cast a 2.5 oz sinker.
04-18-2013, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 05:46 PM by MuskieBait.)
To allow us to help you a better...

Where are you fishing? Small pond, large lake, rivers, stream mouths, Great Lake, St. Lawrence?

The reason we need to know because...

How far do you need to cast?

How deep do you need to fish?

Do you necessarily need a safety bolt rig?

Do you even need all the gadgets?

Here's an example...

I fish for carp in smaller, shallower waters. Many times I can even sightfish for them. I fish waters from 3-6 feet deep and most often use a finesse float rig. I used 8lb mono mainline and 8lb fluorocarbon leader on a 3000 size reel (not baitrunner), a 7' medium rod or a 9' medium rod, and I don't even have a bait alarm or rod pod. I never need to cast more than 1/8oz of weight...in fact, my problem is that my rig is too light and the leader is too long to cast effectively. For the longest time, I don't have a baiting needle. In fact, I find baiting needle pretty crappy for threading sweet corn. I just take a #6 hook and bend it straight. That's my needle. It's strong enough for corn and homemade boilies, even okay with pre-soaked maize. I've tried boilies and maize...but corn is still top producer where I fish. I tried using heavy wire wide gap hooks in #2 size. I've tried using 40lb braid as hook link. I've tried bolt rig and ledger rig. I've tried boilies and maize, and even several day old stinky corn with flavours galore. Still, I always go back to my simply finesse float rig with sweet corn...because it catches me fish.

Depending on where you want to fish and how you want to fish, you may not need everything. I simply fish with what gear I have and adapt to certain rigging with existing terminal tackle. The results speaks for itself.

Average teens.

[Image: IMG_4633.jpg]

The tweens.

[Image: IMG_2740.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4660.jpg]

[Image: Center_Island_Common_Carp_32in_2010_08_14.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4661.jpg]

[Image: Center_Island_Common_Carp_34in_24in_2010_08_14.jpg]

If you can catch a 25lb salmon at the river mouth on regular 7' medium spinning rods (and if you think how people can even bring in a snagged 20lb salmon with the same outfit), why won't you be able to catch 10-15lb carp on the same rods and reels?

You can often cast slightly heavier weight than the rod is rated. You just have to adjust your cast form...that is, open the cast much more and don't lean on the cast and overload the rod. Instead, use the rod to "lob" or "sling" the weight rather than "whip" it out. You can often sling 1oz weight with a rod rated to 1/2oz or 3/4oz. Heck, I use my 12'6" Shimano Convergence float rod at the Niagara slinging out 1oz to 1-1/4oz slinky and I'm getting about 60 yards on it. The rod is only rated to 5/16oz.

Yeah, those rods won't be able to cast 2.5oz, but do you really need 2.5oz? Are you fishing in current areas? If not, there's nothing in freshwater where 1oz of lead is even needed. You don't need 2oz to get a bait out there. Casting is often not so much about the weight, but a combination of rod action matched to the right weight, the right line diameter, a suitable rod length, and good casting form.

As such, give us more info so we can help you better.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
angler1 (04-20-2013)
04-18-2013, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 03:48 PM by OldTimer.)
Home made bait needles are simple and cheap:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...it-Needles

Yes you can get pretty specialized in any avenue of fishing - depends on your budget and the image you desire.

Bottom line though - fairly simple gear will catch carp. Almost any gear can hook one, it's the fighting and landing that varies.....smile.

The expensive bait runners are quite stylish - but really really they just emulate level wind reels with the free spool engaged, or a regular spinning reel with its bail open - with either using a simple styrofoam strike indicator - not a electronic strike beeper.

Rods and lines need be in relation to the size of the expected fish to be encountered, and the distance you're attempting to cast.

I suggest you do an "advanced search" re carp on this forum - there's a whack of info and opinion been presented in the last year........ you'll learn much and improve your show.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
angler1 (04-20-2013)