You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Casting out spinners and the like
10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Casting out spinners and the like
Is there a way to cast out small spinners and other small lightweight tackle out further than 5 ft in front of me Rolleyes because I think the fish out further are laughing at me.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 04:34 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Casting out spinners and the like
Light lines and longer light rods will aid in your quest.

What size spinners are you attempting to cast?

What weight monofilament line are you using?

(Fish are not capable of laughing.......... but they do have annoying grins.)

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 04:45 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
A 7' ultralight rod and 4lb test monofilament did me well this spring when I was casting size 0 and size 1 spinners for chain pickerel.

If you want to retain line strength you can try 8 or 10lb braid.

I find tthat size 3 mepps will cast fine on my 7' medium outfit with 8lb mono.

[Image: logobgs.png]
10-07-2013, 06:15 PM
So do you guys all have different sized rods and differently loaded reels that you take with you all the time?
10-07-2013, 06:26 PM
After a time most serious anglers do acquire many toys.

But - I would doubt that many take an arsenal on every outing.

I try to take gear & setups that match my target(s) for that outing. However I always carry a spare spool for my reel with an alternate line weight,............. and I always carry a backup rod and old reel (there is always a spare simple 7' telescopic and a beater spinning reel with 8# on it in my vehicle- this has saved the day many times).

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-07-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 06:54 PM by MuskieBait.)
(10-07-2013 06:15 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  So do you guys all have different sized rods and differently loaded reels that you take with you all the time?

Yes, some of us have different sizes of rods with matched reels most of the time. You basically create combos for specific fishing needs. Most of the time, it is more or less dependent on the type of lures and technique you are using.

For example, as Michael mentioned, if you wish to throw lighter lures, it is best to have a light or ultralight rod with a small reel spooled with lighter lines. In that situation, you need lighter lines (thinner diameter, more flexible and sensitive) to work light lures. The lighter action of the rod allows the rod to bend more easily on the cast, thus allowing the rod to load up better (that is, the bending of the rod turns kinetic energy into potential energy when it bend back...and when you swing it forward, you convert that back into kinetic energy to launch the lure). A stiff rod does not load up well when you are using light lures...hence the lure cannot cast as far. In addition, a longer, lighter rod will also cast further, since you get so much more energy loaded into the rod, and much more acceleration into the lure when you cast.

If you are fishing a large, heavy lure with a light rod, it overloads and cannot cast your lure as far. The rods bends back so much that you can even risk snapping the rod on the cast.

Personally, I may not always have more than 1 rod on a specific fishing outing. If I have decided to focus on one particular target (for example, if I'm fishing evenings for rivermouth chinook salmon where I am only tossing large spoons and lures), then I'll only bring one rod. Having multiple rods often distract me from my goal. However, if I'm fishing for multiple species, or if I'm on a hunt for species, then I'll bring multiple rods to maximize my tools. Some days I may be bottom fishing for a while, then change to another method if another opportunity presents itself. This could happen multiple times over the course of a day. When I'm traveling, I hardly leave home with less than 4-5 rod and reel combos now. You just never know what opportunity may present itself...and sometimes it is important to have rods and reels rigged and ready on the go...since opportunities can come and go before you can even blink. For an obsessed species hunter like myself, I can be fishing for little 1" Mosquitofish one moment, then completely go heavy action on a big stingray 10 minutes later. There is no way you can get that action with only one rod and reel combo.

But as a beginner, you do not need that many outfits. Having a good general combo is crucial for early success. A well rounded combo would be a 7' medium light rod with a 2000 size reel loaded with 6lb mono. Medium light is often a bit arbitrary depending on the rod manufacturer...do to be more specific, you want a rod rated for 4-10lb line and is designed to cast 1/8-1/2oz. That is pretty accommodating for most situations, and you can catch most of the fish species in Ontario with that combo. A light rod does not mean you cannot catch bigger fish. A bit technique in fighting and leading a big fish and patience in letting the fish tire out will land you most fish most of the time. I often use 6lb fluorocarbon...even sometimes down to 4lb fluorocarbon...when fishing for 15-25lb salmon in the rivers using light to medium light rods (caveat is that these rods are usually more than 9' long to cushion the sudden surges, headshakes, gyrations and jumps that the salmon often use to snap your line). But then again, in my early days of fishing, I was landing salmon with a 6'6" medium rod using 8lb mono. It is easily possible.

I know you mentioned you like shorter rods, but there is a lot of advantages, especially casting ease, when you use longer rods. Consider upgrading to longer rods.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (10-07-2013)
10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll keep my eyes open at garage sales for sure next year to see if I can pick up something longer for cheap Smile
10-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Invest in the most expensive setup you can afford...good quality gear makes fishing just that Lil bit easier..
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
As in most things on this planet - the most expensive fishing gear does not always necessarily make it the "best".

Also - Best for you, may be worst for me.. etc.

Sonicsink ---- another thought - if you can "test drive" a friends, or relatives, gear that you think you might like........... and go from there.

See you on the river.
10-08-2013, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 08:48 PM by MuskieBait.)
(10-08-2013 03:22 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  As in most things on this planet - the most expensive fishing gear does not always necessarily make it the "best".

Also - Best for you, may be worst for me.. etc.

Sonicsink ---- another thought - if you can "test drive" a friends, or relatives, gear that you think you might like........... and go from there.

Kinda like getting a 1000 Shimano Stella for crappie fishing...really? A $500 reel for crappie? It is absolutely THE BEST reel out there...but not THE BEST reel for the application...

All hype and marketing...no brains...Rolleyes

When it comes to most things, once you reach a certain threshold, you get very little marginal return in performance for exponentially greater cost.

Reels in the $30-50 range are very serviceable for most freshwater application...and rods, even the UglyStik at $40 price point, are very serviceable. A lot of gear heads will talk about lightness, bearings, carbon, magnesium...yada, yada, yada...but if you are only talking about freshwater fish, not a lot of that matters...and for the casual anglers, 0.5oz or even 2oz difference in reel weight is negligible at best. (Heck, I was catching rivermouth salmon with a 4500 Shimano Baitrunner that weights 22.2oz. A lot of guys will scoff at that...but you use whatever that will get the job done...and if the reel is heavy, go work out your puny arms and weak wrists Tongue)

I still tout the Pflueger Trion GX-7 rod and reel combo. For a reasonable price, you are getting a very good bang for the buck combo that has lasted me over 10 years.

Good gear, to a certain extent, will help you with better casts, better sensitivity on bites, better action on lures, better drag for playing fish, etc...but at the base of it, it is the anglers and the way they fish with their gear that will dictate who catches the most fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html