You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Casting out spinners and the like
10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: Casting out spinners and the like
(10-08-2013 03:22 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Sonicsink ---- another thought - if you can "test drive" a friends, or relatives, gear that you think you might like........... and go from there.

Ya, that's the thing though...I don't know anyone who has any fishing stuff so I'm going in pretty blind LOL My husband has a bunch of fishing stuff he got from a relative eons ago, but he also hasn't fished much in his life (despite being part Newfoundlander and having lived there for a few years as well) so we're both pretty much in the same boat.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
(10-08-2013 04:56 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 03:22 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Sonicsink ---- another thought - if you can "test drive" a friends, or relatives, gear that you think you might like........... and go from there.

Ya, that's the thing though...I don't know anyone who has any fishing stuff so I'm going in pretty blind LOL My husband has a bunch of fishing stuff he got from a relative eons ago, but he also hasn't fished much in his life (despite being part Newfoundlander and having lived there for a few years as well) so we're both pretty much in the same boat.

Try that "bunch of fishing stuff"........?

or.........Maybe it's the trial and error thing for you.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Buy everything in sight and then sell it off afterwards...

just kidding Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
10-09-2013, 02:19 PM
As a beginner myself, I have three rods. One of which was my brothers (7'6"); another i've had for about 8 years (hadn't used it in about 7. Shimano, 7'6") and a new, longer rod (8'6").

Do i take them all out at the same time? No, not all three, but the shorter rods yes. One has 8# line spooled and ready and the other 10#. Basically i take them just incase if one breaks, i have another ready to go so my fishing day isn't ruined. The longer rod has 12# fluro on it when i was salmon fishing this summer.

The best thing i've done for myself is not worry about all the craziness around rods and reels yet and concentrate on figuring out how to target specific species. So if i'm bass fishing, while i'm sure there's an appropriate choice for rod/reel/line combo, if i don't know where to find them and how to use whatever lure i have on, then it's all useless and a waste of time.

At the end of the day, there's some spots where you just won't be able to cast where the fish are. It's part in parcel with what we do. If you cast out the spinner 30 feet, the fish will break the surface at 40 feet just to grin at you (since they don't laugh, right OT?).
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 03:28 PM by rich_ace_G.)
I can cast a #0 spinner 20 feet away on an 6 - 8lb test line. further on braid. you shouldn't have a problem casting it out though unless your using 20 - 25lb line.
10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
(10-09-2013 02:19 PM)shawarma Wrote:  The best thing i've done for myself is not worry about all the craziness around rods and reels yet and concentrate on figuring out how to target specific species. So if i'm bass fishing, while i'm sure there's an appropriate choice for rod/reel/line combo, if i don't know where to find them and how to use whatever lure i have on, then it's all useless and a waste of time.

what he said!.......... good stuff.

Those are the basics.......... the refinement of the gear can follow to polish these skills.

OT

See you on the river.
11-03-2013, 02:22 PM
(10-07-2013 06:15 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  So do you guys all have different sized rods and differently loaded reels that you take with you all the time?

I have 5 rods that I take with me every time I go out from light to heavy 6ld test to 20ld test you never now what's out there or that you will be fishing for or what's in the lake you are fishing ,,,,,
11-03-2013, 03:12 PM
that's 17

See you on the river.