You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Confused
Just back into fishing this past fall. Bought a starter set at Sail, Shakespeare rod and spinning reel, and a small tackle box with a spinner bait, frogs, Powerbait Realsticks, asst jigs, hooks etc. Not bad considering it was only $39.95. I have bought a Chug Bug on recommendation from a bass fanatic and a Hula Popper.

I am addicted to WFN and bass fishing, but where do I start? The C.B was the only successful lure at a cottage in Barry's Bay this September.Smile There are so many lures to choose from, colours, sizes, top water, buzz, spinners, and on and on. I know conditions change the bite, but what are the time tested lures that I should have?Huh

Also do I need more than one rod and reel? Baitcaster for instance.

Sorry if this has been asked before, tried the search option without success.

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: Confused
Hey Captain2002:

Yes there is an endless confusing maze and myriad of equipment, lures and such out there.

If bass is your target - Largemouth or Smallmouth? Lures vary slightly for each.

Do you seriously intend on trying for other species - which ones?

Will your fishing be mostly lakes or ponds or rivers? Weed choked Kawartha's style or crystal clear Muskoka style lakes?

If you are comforatble with spinning - why change? It's really a personal preference thing.

Ponder all the above - lets us know - I'm sure you get more than a few answers to consider..........

However - I can offer this advice though - having a second rod/reel set is recomended - even if its a wee bit lighter or heavier than what you need for a particular outing. I always carry a spare (even if its only a cheap telescopic rod and an older or second hand reel) - Nothing can ruin a day faster ( and waste time/money) than breaking a rod, having a reel not work properly, or have line problems - at least you can carry on to some degree with a backup.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
12-16-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 03:18 PM by zippyFX.)
Ahhh, the alure of the lures.... A couple of ways to help determine what you need...

- Decide what fish you are going for and determine their typical size and select an appropriate sized lure or crank. A good start would be to google "catching bass in Ontario"
- The next choice is colour. You can either go for different or same; Different from what the fish is used to (bright colors) entice a strike or the same a fish is used to (such as perch).
- Read up on the various types of lures... For example I am fan of rapalla cranks and lures; So I skimmed their selection, cross referenced my research. I also went to youtube and googled the crank and lure to see how it works and reviews. This helped.
- I also try to mix it up especially when shore fishing... Have some top waters, some shallow and some deep;

A thing to remember is that when shore fishing in urban areas there tends to be more fishing pressure so the fish are not as quick in coming as up at the cottage.

My favorite for the past couple of months has been live bait (minnows and worms) this has worked out well for me. In the end what matters most is doing the leg work to find the best spot.

Buying lures and cranks can be expensive and add up. Before purchasing, always understand how the new lure/crank will fit in with your current inventory and determine how you would be using it.
Find all posts by this user
12-16-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 04:23 PM by captain2002.)
Great replies, I enjoy both large and small mouth, but in that part of Northern Ontario it's mostly small mouth. I only fished from shore this past fall but hope to get a cottage next year with a boat and motor. I have Googled bass fishing, lures etc but it is still overwhelming. I will check out the site you recommended.
I can see another R&R for next year, good point breaking one would be a bummer.
Definately lake fishing next year, and from what I saw from shore this year alot of grass and foliage.
I see there is a related topic below...lots of reading too 34 replies. Something to do over the holidays.

Thanks again.
12-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I only have 2 baitcasting rod/reel out of my 15 rod/reel combos. I find very limited use of a baitcaster outfit and it is usually very specific when I need it. I usually pick up the baitcaster when I need a little torque to retrieve lures. Spinning reels have poorer torque due to the design.

But overall, you can fish most lures with a spinning reel, especially when your interest is on bass. Most bass lures are small enough that you don't need the heavy torque of a baitcast reel.

Don't let the sales people sucker you in...most people can't cast well enough to see the difference in casting distance between a baitcaster and a spinning reel. In fact, a good caster can cast a lure just as far with a mid-priced baitcaster vs a mid-priced spinning reel. High-end reels do offer better distance, but the marginal increase in distance decreases with price...you are not going to get that much more by paying a lot more.

My suggestion, like OT, is to get another rod and reel that is slight lighter or heavier than what you already own. If you already own a medium-light or medium rod (6-12lb or 8-17lb), then I would suggest getting a heavier rod that is rated 10-20lbs, and a larger reel that can accommodate heavier line (thicker diameter of heavier line need a slightly larger reel capacity). The bigger gears on a larger reel also give you better torque on larger lures and larger fish.

It is also much easier to use a spinning reel for all sorts of casting situation vs. a baitcast reel. You can do all the same casting technique like flipping and pitching with a spinning reel, and a spinning reel is just as good walking-the-dog with a topwater than a baitcaster.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
12-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I have seen a lot of help with the rods so I'll help you out with your lures.

My confidence lure is always a Size 3 Mepps Aglia (I love that thing to bits). Bass like a medium speed but more movement is always better, Bass are a predator fish and are more likely to take a live looking/moving bait as opposed to a slow jig, but don't get me wrong they will sure as hell take that too. I like a spinner between the sizes of 2 and 5 and they are usually the perfect size for Bass I prefer Size 3.

For color I've noticed that the Bass are always more active on a white, yellow, and light green. Also if you can't get color a nice gold or silver shine is also great. I've never been a guy to use slower baits like jigs ect.. I like the constant movement of a spinner or crankbait.

Hopefully this helped a bit, though I'm not an expert so you may want some other advice as well Tongue,
Giuga10
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Again, thanks for all the replies, will spend part of the Holidays, reading, searching and putting together a plan.

To be politically correct, Seasons Greetings.
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 05:02 PM by OldTimer.)
You running for office?.........smile............

In your looking about - dont forget to try searching online videos and YouTube - there are some great CANADIAN videos on smallmouth bass fishing and tips............ just offhand I mention those from the Thundermist Lure company.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.