You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Easy Outdoor Fish Cleaning Station
09-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Easy Outdoor Fish Cleaning Station
BBQ Plywood Grill Cover – Cleaning Station

I thought I’d share this:

We all keep the odd fish and if you’re like most city anglers you really don’t have a place to clean a fish inside your home without making a mess, or smell fest.

Kitchen cutting boards are too small to clean fish, and most Arborite counters have that rolled edge that makes skinning a fillet a struggle………. cuz ya can’t get the blade flat.

But most of us do have a gas BBQ.

I clean my fish outside on a piece of unfinished plywood I cut to match the inside size of my BBQ grill. I just drop the plywood on top of the grill - and then I’ve got a real big flat wooden work surface outside in the sunlight. It doesn’t matter if I scratch or stain it… and I got two smaller side tables on the BBQ to hold my plates and paper towels, etc.

Sometimes I use newspaper or cardboard on top to catch the mess, but it’s a lot easier to just pick up the waste & then wipe it with paper towels… and then wash the board off with the garden hose.

Then (most of the time) I also turn on the BBQ for a few minutes to burn off any “spillage” and also to allow me to drop the board in WET SIDE DOWN , just for a minute or so – to dry it quickly.

(I started using this idea years ago – with flattened cardboard boxes – they work too – then I just threw them away.)

Side bonus – makes a great work surface to do projects outside in the summer, or (if covered nicely) an extra table top or dry bar on the patio. Has a drop down cover too………. For rain or insects.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 11:14 PM
RE: Easy Outdoor Fish Cleaning Station
(09-02-2012 03:57 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  We all keep the odd fish and if you’re like most city anglers you really don’t have a place to clean a fish inside your home without making a mess, or smell fest.

Kitchen cutting boards are too small to clean fish, and most Arborite counters have that rolled edge that makes skinning a fillet a struggle………. cuz ya can’t get the blade flat.

I like pizza boxes. Open it up and you can even clean a salmon on it. Any blood, slime or other bodily fluid get absorbed by the cardboard. After you are done, just fold it up and into the garbage it goes. No mess on the counter. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Great insights guys. I'll never forget (neither will my family) the one hot mess I made when I brought a salmon home last year....

Big Grin

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
?.... Sorta like Freddie meets Jaws.........?

See you on the river.
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
(09-04-2012 10:28 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  ?.... Sorta like Freddie meets Jaws.........?

I hate to say this but I don't get it! Confused

I guess I'm too young hahahah Wink

09-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Something to look forward to.........smile.

See you on the river.
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Hahahah are you sure it isn't something I missed already? Something to look backward to? Tongue

09-06-2012, 07:10 AM
(09-05-2012 10:07 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Hahahah are you sure it isn't something I missed already? Something to look backward to? Tongue

Good one.

.............smile.................

See you on the river.
06-08-2013, 08:52 PM
(09-02-2012 03:57 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  BBQ Plywood Grill Cover – Cleaning Station

I thought I’d share this:

We all keep the odd fish and if you’re like most city anglers you really don’t have a place to clean a fish inside your home without making a mess, or smell fest.

But most of us do have a gas BBQ.

I clean my fish outside on a piece of unfinished plywood I cut to match the inside size of my BBQ grill. I just drop the plywood on top of the grill - and then I’ve got a real big flat wooden work surface outside in the sunlight. It doesn’t matter if I scratch or stain it… and I got two smaller side tables on the BBQ to hold my plates and paper towels, etc.

Sometimes I use newspaper or cardboard on top to catch the mess, but it’s a lot easier to just pick up the waste & then wipe it with paper towels… and then wash the board off with the garden hose.

Then (most of the time) I also turn on the BBQ for a few minutes to burn off any “spillage” and also to allow me to drop the board in WET SIDE DOWN , just for a minute or so – to dry it quickly.

(I started using this idea years ago – with flattened cardboard boxes – they work too – then I just threw them away.)

Side bonus – makes a great work surface to do projects outside in the summer, or (if covered nicely) an extra table top or dry bar on the patio. Has a drop down cover too………. For rain or insects.

Cheers,

OldTimer

We don't have a patio BBQ, but I use a piece of plywood that's about 12x30 inches. I gave this a few coats of raw linseed oil -- food safe, and it keeps fish juices from seeping into the wood.

The plywood straddles our kitchen double sink, and the water is right there. When I'm done, I rinse off the board and lean it against a wall outside to dry. Every year or two I give it a light sanding and another coat of raw linseed oil.

Raw linseed oil has no dryers in it -- that's why it's food safe. So you need to use light coats, wipe them off after 10-15 minutes, and let the oil penetrate and dry for a few days before doing the next coat.
Find all posts by this user