You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Expanding the Forum
03-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Expanding the Forum
Hey everyone, I spoke to MichaelAngelo already about this, he suggested I make a post and see what the other members thoughts were on this.

I was just tossing around some ideas to help grow the forum, I feel like this forum has a great knowledgeable base of people, and I'm really enjoying all the reading, learning and all the advice I'm getting from this forum. I feel with more like minded people there would be more discussions, more tips and tricks, more diy money saving ideas...etc for us shore fishing people.

I'm pretty big into Car Audio, we started a group of about 30 local people to discuss upcoming shows, meets, tips, tricks, how to's and stuff like that. Over the last couple years we went from 30 members to about 2100 members who are all local and into the same scene. It has become THE place to go to discuss anything car audio related in ontario.

That group has handed out business cards with group information to new like minded people to get them to join and become involved in the community, Sold decals with the logo (to put funds back into the group for more business cards, to host shows cheaply or free and to promote the group, things like that) for like minded people to recognize it and initiate conversations in public with like minded people as well as draw in new people who see the name and look it up. We have also hosted meets, car shows and other things to help expand and promote the group.

Anyways, I was just thinking that some of that stuff could maybe be applied here.

Would anybody be interested in Purchasing Decals for there vehicles, tackle boxes, laptops or anything really to help promote the site?

My thought was, I personally would donate a certain amount of decals to the forum 100% at my expense to sell, raffle off, give away whatever for the forum to get a little bit of revenue into it. From there they could Purchase some business cards with the group information on it, Anyone who has purchased a decal or anyone really who is willing would get some cards either at a local meetup or in the mail and you could bring them with you when your fishing and hand them out to any other people you meet along the way fishing. Piers, docks, beaches, waterways, whatever.

Moving forward, the forum could continue selling decals, apparel, anything with the logo on it really with the funds going back into the forum for Give aways, Contests, maybe even a derby or something all paid for by the group for the group.

I don't know really if this sounds realistic to anyone, but I know shore fishing seems to be kind of a tight group. With promoting it could be a good way to get new people out to enjoy this great sport and just show people you can still enjoy a day out fishing without having to buy/rent a boat and drop large cash to enjoy it.

Completely open to ideas here, good or bad criticism. Whatever it is, lets talk about it and maybe we can grow this place into something even greater than it already is.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: Expanding the Forum
I actually really like this idea. I'll be watching this thread.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-28-2016, 03:26 PM
(03-23-2016 01:23 PM)TASPL-Designs Wrote:  Hey everyone, I spoke to MichaelAngelo already about this, he suggested I make a post and see what the other members thoughts were on this.

I was just tossing around some ideas to help grow the forum, I feel like this forum has a great knowledgeable base of people, and I'm really enjoying all the reading, learning and all the advice I'm getting from this forum. I feel with more like minded people there would be more discussions, more tips and tricks, more diy money saving ideas...etc for us shore fishing people.

I'm pretty big into Car Audio, we started a group of about 30 local people to discuss upcoming shows, meets, tips, tricks, how to's and stuff like that. Over the last couple years we went from 30 members to about 2100 members who are all local and into the same scene. It has become THE place to go to discuss anything car audio related in ontario.

That group has handed out business cards with group information to new like minded people to get them to join and become involved in the community, Sold decals with the logo (to put funds back into the group for more business cards, to host shows cheaply or free and to promote the group, things like that) for like minded people to recognize it and initiate conversations in public with like minded people as well as draw in new people who see the name and look it up. We have also hosted meets, car shows and other things to help expand and promote the group.

Anyways, I was just thinking that some of that stuff could maybe be applied here.

Would anybody be interested in Purchasing Decals for there vehicles, tackle boxes, laptops or anything really to help promote the site?

My thought was, I personally would donate a certain amount of decals to the forum 100% at my expense to sell, raffle off, give away whatever for the forum to get a little bit of revenue into it. From there they could Purchase some business cards with the group information on it, Anyone who has purchased a decal or anyone really who is willing would get some cards either at a local meetup or in the mail and you could bring them with you when your fishing and hand them out to any other people you meet along the way fishing. Piers, docks, beaches, waterways, whatever.

Moving forward, the forum could continue selling decals, apparel, anything with the logo on it really with the funds going back into the forum for Give aways, Contests, maybe even a derby or something all paid for by the group for the group.

I don't know really if this sounds realistic to anyone, but I know shore fishing seems to be kind of a tight group. With promoting it could be a good way to get new people out to enjoy this great sport and just show people you can still enjoy a day out fishing without having to buy/rent a boat and drop large cash to enjoy it.

Completely open to ideas here, good or bad criticism. Whatever it is, lets talk about it and maybe we can grow this place into something even greater than it already is.

Mulled this over.......

…. you know what? ...........:

Getting outdoors is good. Enjoy it.

Fishing is an adventure. Have it.

The experience is awesome. Treasure it.

The memories are priceless. Share them.

I do………..

……. don’t need a decal to do so either……… do you?

….smile

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I feel the same, OT.

If people are coming here for giveaways, contests and derbies, then I think they are here for the wrong reason.

If you really like what this community has to offer, then you would stay and participate. If you have something to contribute, it would be given freely. If you are proud of a catch, then share it.

I don't feel the necessity to use prizes to lure people, or to encourage them to participate.

We've tried it a bit in the past...didn't really help.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-29-2016, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 03:15 PM by OldTimer.)
(03-28-2016 04:01 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Yeah, I feel the same, OT.

If people are coming here for giveaways, contests and derbies, then I think they are here for the wrong reason.

If you really like what this community has to offer, then you would stay and participate. If you have something to contribute, it would be given freely. If you are proud of a catch, then share it.

I don't feel the necessity to use prizes to lure people, or to encourage them to participate.

We've tried it a bit in the past...didn't really help.

Very true MB.

I might note that I did not respond immediately to this thread in order to see what thoughts might surface. None did.

Even still - I believe that simple promotion of the site may be of value. I myself do mention the site to those, I may converse with during my outings, who seem like regular good people that enjoy the sport – I encourage all to do likewise.

Commercialization of this forum conflicts with its unique value. Unlike most other so called "public" forums – there are no ads or random stupid pop-ups here whatsoever. This forum is managed and funded without outside help or financial influence. Ponder that.

It ain’t about bucks here, never was…………….. It’s about sharing thoughts, presenting ideas or opinions, asking for help, giving help, being able to pound one’s chest occasionally,...... and all the while having a few laughs taking a few jabs in goodhearted fun…… aka "smiles".

Cheers,

OldTimer

ps......... I still ain't telling ya my "spots"........... grin

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.