You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes
04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
RE: Fish Dish and Appetizer Recipes
Anyone have a good recipe for freshwater drum?

Large run coming up on a local river and I want to keep a few small ones to try this year.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 07:43 AM by MuskieBait.)
I don't have one...but search for a southern recipe. I do know people in the southern states eat them often...and I'm sure they have some tasty recipes. Instead of searching by "freshwater drum", use "gaspergou" instead.

Maybe something like this? Whether it is etoufee or courtbouillon, the ingredients and steps looks about the same. Anything cajun is good in my book. Big Grin

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/g...e-etoufee/

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gaspe...rtbouillon

Here's something else:

http://www.basspro1source.com/index.php/...water-drum

"For many years, I released all the drums I caught, believing they were too bony to eat – a fallacy based on information I often heard when I was a youngster. In fact, drums do not have the many small Y-bones found in carp and suckers. Filleting your catch and removing all dark red meat along the lateral line produces boneless fish that when cooked is firm, not flaky, and delicately flavored. I find it comparable to redfish, the drum's saltwater cousin, and consider it delicious grilled, broiled, baked, fried, smoked or made into chowder or bouillabaisse.

For the best taste, place your catch on ice immediately. If you put 'gous in a wire basket or on a stringer, they quickly die, and the flesh soon spoils.

My favorite drum recipe is Mock Crab Meat. Bring to boil enough water to cover the amount of fish you are serving. Season the water with shrimp and crab boil, following the instructions on the bottle. Drop the fish, which has been cut into finger-sized strips, into the seasoned water. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the fire, and let the fish soak for 15 minutes to pick up the seasonings. Drain, chill and serve with seafood cocktail sauce or hot melted butter.

Because their flesh is similar to that of redfish, freshwater drums also substitute well in blackened redfish recipes. My family likes drum fillets simply brushed with butter, seasoned with lemon-pepper and grilled."

I've always said freshwater drum is similar to redfish and they get little respect. Glad to read the above statement!

I would limit consumption of freshwater drum if their local diet is gobies and zebra mussels though. Drum can pick up botulism from that diet. The bacteria spores can be killed by cooking...but has to be at heat greater than 85C for more than 5 minutes. Other worries I would have is the contaminant levels built up from a diet of zebra mussels.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 03:32 PM by OldTimer.)
South of our border freshwater drum do have some commercial value........ not so much up here.

I've eaten it - only a few times along the way - wasn't bad, but wasn't great either (however I didn't cook them).

Smaller is better as I recall.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
11-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Just tried this - not overly spicy - not bad!

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-05-2014, 11:08 PM
(04-03-2014 03:23 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  South of our border freshwater drum do have some commercial value........ not so much up here.

What about deuterium-infused drum? Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-06-2014, 03:21 PM
(11-05-2014 11:08 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 03:23 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  South of our border freshwater drum do have some commercial value........ not so much up here.

What about deuterium-infused drum? Tongue

Could be a "hot" seller.

See you on the river.
01-19-2015, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 04:03 PM by OldTimer.)
I've been meaning to try this for a while - and finally got to do so today................

Used those circle silicone egg rings to cook fish cakes.

Sure makes life simpler and holds the fishcake in a perfect round. No more "patty caking" ........and is "wet" mix tolerant.

Just make up your mix - place the rings in your oiled hot pan... put a scoop of the mix in the ring and press it in. Cook as usual.

McCrab cakes comin' up.............. smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.