You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Book Review: Channel Catfish Fever
03-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Book Review: Channel Catfish Fever
In a recent book review ( Catching Catfish (The Ultimate Guide - Blues - Flatheads - Channels)) Eli suggested this book as a very good reference for Channel Catfish. With a lot of non fishing time on my hands I looked up a used copy on Amazon and ordered it. I found a new copy for sale as used for $6.25 and with about $6.50 for shipping I got a copy for about $12.75. You can get what looks like a new edition from IN-FISHERMAN for $12.95 + S/H.

For me this book was well worth the cost. I was interested in most of the information provided and provided information I had not seen before. They provide a reasonable spin on the fact that the Channel Cat maybe the most popular fished for species in the U.S. They point out that the data for Canada is a bit sketchy. From my personal anecdotal survey I have found that their is interest but I get more "Huh!?" looks than "Cool!" looks.

It provides a general survey of the major North American catfish and bull heads species before an in depth treatment of the Channel Cat. I found its treatment of the the catfish senses and their "Unique Package of Abilities" to be a better collection information than I have seen before. It also has a description of how a catfish feeds..... In a lab setting a channel cat will do swim by, tasting the food via all the taste buds it has externally, swim back, pin the meal to the ground from above and eat it.

This book also provides a fishing calendar for channel cats to help understand the relationship between the months, seasons, water temperature to pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn periods. It breaks down the fishing calendar into 10 phases from winter until the end of the fall. It also covers a norther zone which includes southern Manitoba.

It also provided something I had never seen before, a 24 hour graph of for channel catfish activity. The best time for fishing is apparently before first light to sunrise when they are most active. This is not what I had understood or practiced. I may have to try an early morning session in the spring.

It goes on to describe the other standard information, habitat preferences, location insights, tackle and rigging tips. As well as cleaning, storage and cooking. Also a bit about conservation.

In short a lot more information than than my previous read and written in the usual folks prose of most fishing books.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Book Review: Channel Catfish Fever
(03-17-2014 10:34 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  It also has a description of how a catfish feeds..... In a lab setting a channel cat will do swim by, tasting the food via all the taste buds it has externally, swim back, pin the meal to the ground from above and eat it.

Thanks for sharing your review.

The steps of the feeding process you've described sounds like a good explanation to events I have seen repeatedly in my outings: .... I have noticed many times a slight line pull a few seconds (and up to 30+ seconds) before a big yank. This initial line movement is not a typical nibble, peck or bite - but a gentle pull and release of tension which could be caused by the fish swimming over or under the line on its first cruise by pass, prior to engulfing the bait.

Think I'll track down a copy of this book for myself.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Found/purchased a used copy from England.......... on its way............ Thanks again ZippyFx.

OT

See you on the river.
03-22-2014, 04:13 PM
It's a great read.
Actually, that whole In Fisherman series is very informative. Over the years, I've found Crappie, Walleye, and Bass at the local Value Village. Some very good information in those pages.
Find all posts by this user
03-23-2014, 10:31 AM
There's some gold to be found in books that isn't anywhere to be found online.

[Image: logobgs.png]
03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
(03-23-2014 10:31 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  There's some gold to be found in books that isn't anywhere to be found online.

yep............Quantity of online info is microscopic compared to hard copy (where most of it originated).

OT

See you on the river.