You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing After The Rain
05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Fishing After The Rain
Hi guys,

I was hoping to get out today after work to try my luck for some rainbows.

The forecast is calling for some rain today but the evening looks like it should be clear.

Since I am not very experienced with this type of fishing I am wondering if it is still a good idea to go.

How active are the fish after the rain and is there anything I should be doing differently?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
RE: Fishing After The Rain
The rainbows are swimming back to the lakes, this Tuesday morning I didn't see any rainbow trout in an usual spot of Rouge river.
05-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up but you didn't really answer my question...

Any advice?
05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
My advice is to try other species.
05-09-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 06:30 PM by Giuga10.)
DO NOT GIVE UP! I fished a local river today and there are still lots of Bows, landed one on the fly today. The Bows are not all heading back... most are but some are still spawning and a very small number are still waiting for a good rain to bring them up to spawn. Also until we get a good rainfall the water levels in many rivers will still be too low for fish to really head back, they will slowly start going downstream but they'll still be there.

I and some others think well still have a decent amount of Bows until mid June unless we get a crazy rainfall sending them back.

Go out there give it a shot, you never know until you see for yourself!

And yes the fish are active during before and after the rain just and different levels.
Here's a barometric chart that should help you decide whether to go or not. http://www.thefishingnut.com/articles/barometer.html <- Take this with a grain of salt... fish are unpredictable.

Hope this answered the question Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Most of the steelhead are extremely hammered and way too line shy by now. We were out today and most of the river were devoid of fish. The only pool still holding fish had fish there were not active at all. They were extremely spooked and you cannot even drift something to them without having them avoid your line or even completed swim away.

It's pretty much done. The rain we'll get tomorrow will push most of them back to the lake.

With the warm weather last week, the river had warmed up quickly...They won't be around in June. We'll be lucky if they are around for one more week...but those are stragglers and they are tougher to catch. Might as well fish for something else now.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-09-2013, 09:39 PM
(05-09-2013 08:54 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Most of the steelhead are extremely hammered and way too line shy by now. We were out today and most of the river were devoid of fish. The only pool still holding fish had fish there were not active at all. They were extremely spooked and you cannot even drift something to them without having them avoid your line or even completed swim away.

It's pretty much done. The rain we'll get tomorrow will push most of them back to the lake.

With the warm weather last week, the river had warmed up quickly...They won't be around in June. We'll be lucky if they are around for one more week...but those are stragglers and they are tougher to catch. Might as well fish for something else now.

I wouldn't say that. I've seen a decent amount of fish at my local river still and the past week I've been catching them in gin clear when I was standing right in front of them and today I caught one on my second cast on the fly with a 6 ft leader. I definitely wouldn't say give up yet they've been biting great for me and the numbers are still there. Just fish closer to the lake and you'll find more.
05-09-2013, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 10:43 PM by MuskieBait.)
(05-09-2013 09:39 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 08:54 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Most of the steelhead are extremely hammered and way too line shy by now. We were out today and most of the river were devoid of fish. The only pool still holding fish had fish there were not active at all. They were extremely spooked and you cannot even drift something to them without having them avoid your line or even completed swim away.

I wouldn't say that. I've seen a decent amount of fish at my local river still and the past week I've been catching them in gin clear when I was standing right in front of them and today I caught one on my second cast on the fly with a 6 ft leader. I definitely wouldn't say give up yet they've been biting great for me and the numbers are still there. Just fish closer to the lake and you'll find more.

Catching one is very different than catching more than one. Wink We had a pool of 50 steelhead today...but if they are leader shy and they don't hit...it's just as good as not having any fishing around. I waded about 3km of stream today to find ONE pool with fish...and the rest of the stream was low and clear. Yeah, I saw the odd straggler here and there, but if you even attempt to drift something at them, they put on the afterburner and retreat. All the fish were trapped in that one pool are waiting for the rain to come to push back to the lake. I passed many, many nice pools that would have held fish if there is more water...but now they are all shallow, very warm, and devoid of fish.

Just watch...next rain...bye bye steelhead. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I ended up going out last night and got skunked. I'm pretty sure that they're still in there though and I'm going to give it another shot on the weekend.
05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
(05-09-2013 06:25 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  DO NOT GIVE UP! I fished a local river today and there are still lots of Bows, landed one on the fly today. The Bows are not all heading back... most are but some are still spawning and a very small number are still waiting for a good rain to bring them up to spawn. Also until we get a good rainfall the water levels in many rivers will still be too low for fish to really head back, they will slowly start going downstream but they'll still be there.

I and some others think well still have a decent amount of Bows until mid June unless we get a crazy rainfall sending them back.

Go out there give it a shot, you never know until you see for yourself!

And yes the fish are active during before and after the rain just and different levels.
Here's a barometric chart that should help you decide whether to go or not. http://www.thefishingnut.com/articles/barometer.html <- Take this with a grain of salt... fish are unpredictable.

Hope this answered the question Smile

May I know which river you are referring?