You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Summit Meetings for Toronto
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Fishing Summit Meetings for Toronto
Further to councillor Paula Fletcher's "Gone Fishin'" motion being approved by all of the Toronto City Council in July.............

Has any progress been made in this regard......... or has any thing at all been scheduled?

All seems very quite.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: Fishing Summit Meetings for Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

See you on the river.
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I've sent out a few emails to Toronto council members, and others, asking if anything has been done....................

The wheel seems squeeky...............

See you on the river.
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't know what's going on with that...MikeH? Blair?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-24-2012, 06:18 PM
This is a response I just received from a Toronto City councillors office:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email and your interest in urban fishing. The last decision made on this item was at the July 11, 2012 meeting of Council (http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaIt....EX21.33). The fishing summit has not yet been held by Parks, Forestry & Recreation, and the report on options for building a fishing pier has not been submitted to Committee as of yet.

If you would like to become involved with this issue, I would recommend contacting the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors (http://torontourbanfishing.com/).

Sincerely, ""

In other words - absolutely nothing has progressed.

I shall send along my thanks to the respondent for their lightning fast answer.

Oh...... and by the way - I don't need anyone to help me get involved in stating my opinion or in doing my best to protect angling rights for ALL in ALL locations....... I was involved before and I am now......... besides I don't need another T-shirt....I don't even recall a voting process for our seemingly collective representatives...... smile.

Don't forget what happens in TO may be a blueprint for what happens across Ontario.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
There are no updates that I know of.

The motions went through right before they all took off for the summer, The next full council meeting is not until Oct 2nd. The summit is not likely to be top of the bill.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
09-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Is there anything I can do to help?

See you on the river.
09-25-2012, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2012 07:50 AM by MikeH.)
(09-25-2012 04:57 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Is there anything I can do to help?

Absolutely. As soon as Dave C gets word back from the council, or if they make another move like the random no fishing signs of last spring, we will need to post updates on as many of the fishing sites as possible. Any help spreading the information, or contacting the council direct to express views / concerns / approval would be welcomed.

Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors are continuing with the program of keeping positive fishing stories in the public eye and helping local kids get started on a lifetime of fishing wherever possible. There has been some great feedback from the events earlier in the year. I understand that TUFA has been contacted by one of the Toronto police units and asked to provide hands on assistance with another kids fishing event coming up, plus the possibility of a council sponsored event. (I dont have details on these yet)

We are sure its not over yet, but we did get all the signs removed and have enjoyed a good summer fishing as opposed to being harrassed by the Marine unit every time we set foot on the harbourfront, so a temporary "quit while you're ahead" and focus on community events seemed appropriate.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MikeH for this post:
OldTimer (09-25-2012)
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I am quite aware of your hard work and I am not pointing fingers at anyone.

However I do believe that constant consistent gentle polite pressure will expedite any government's progress. It is only human nature to concentrate on things "in your face" and not those seemingly passive.

Speaking of events or sponsors - dont forget TPA's offer of hosting a derby....................

Regards,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
as far as the scheduling of the fishing summits go...they happen twice a year in Toronto....has been set up like that for a decade.
this year was different....TUFA forced them to have four....two in one week....this was to get the City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation signs taken down that banned fishing and to get our ducks aligned to get the "gone Fishin' " motion passed.
We were not allowed to attend yet we were informed of the results.The next fishing summit will be in the spring before the sportsman show in march i am told. this time TUFA and the Police Marine Unit will have a voice and be allowed to attend.
we reasoned that we are the end users of the decisions made at these meetings. at the oct24 outdoor fishing class in high park the police and Tufa and parks and recreation all got on the same page for the future meeting thus leaving more time at the meeting to better fishing in Toronto. so as Mike H previously mentioned the kids events TUFA is involved in help further our fight for fishing rights just as much as our previous "squeeky wheel"approach. i hope this explains what has transpired and why things never seem to move fast enough.
Find all posts by this user