You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 02:45 PM by OldTimer.)
Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week
Not good news:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/...104618.pdf

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/st...river.html

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 02:52 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week
"However scientists say lab tests reveal the fish caught in the Grand River last month was sterile."

And argh...they lumped Grass Carp under the "Asian Carp" label...totally different issue between a sterile Grass Carp vs. Silver and Bighead Carp.

Irresponsible reporting to incite fear...Oh my god...the sky is falling...pile of cow paddies...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Or perhaps responsible journalism to promote awareness and get anglers reporting any similar catches.

Do you prefer the ostrich approach instead............smile.

See you on the river.
05-03-2013, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 03:15 PM by MuskieBait.)
(05-03-2013 03:01 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Or perhaps responsible journalism to promote awareness and get anglers reporting any similar catches.

Do you prefer the ostrich approach instead............smile.

An odd Grass Carp caught in Dunnville is a very different thing from saying "Asian Carp are here".

There was a Grass Carp caught in Toronto (forgot if it was the Don or Humber) several years ago...and yet, no Grass Carp had been caught since. Similarly, there was an article and there was the same fear mongering at that time that "it's the end of the world!".

In general, I just hate the term Asian Carp...specify Silver Carp or Bighead Carp or Grass Carp so people will know what is being talked about. Black Carp are very few in numbers anyways and difficult to distinguished from Grass Carp. There are debates how established the Black Carp are in Mississippi drainage anyways.

That would be responsible in my mind. Ostrich in the sand would be to lump that sterile Grass Carp as an "Asian Carp" and create fear. That's just a sign that the reporter don't know what he/she is writing about.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I doubt the MNR press release is fear mongering - just stating facts.

The bottom line is that an illegal, restricted, and deemed invasive species was found in our waters. Call me silly....... but I dont like that.......... do you?

See you on the river.
05-03-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 03:50 PM by MuskieBait.)
No problem with MNR release...didn't like the CBC article which is what I'm referring to. It is one sterile Grass Carp...hardly news worthy material in my mind.

I've caught one in Florida...a fish that grows big and fights well...why not?

After all, people INTENTIONALLY stock a fish that grows big and fights well and one that doesn't belong...and fight tooth and nail to keep the hatchery alive just to stock more...aka the Chinook Salmon.

What's another species to add to Ontario's already messed up biodiversity? Tongue

People were saying the sky was falling for Common Carp...and the Round Goby...yeah, ok. The Ruffe hasn't spread beyond that harbour in Lake Superior either...and the Rudd is still very restricted in their spread.

BTW, I'm going to challenge the Silver Carp in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how fun they can be as a hook and line catch. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
(05-03-2013 03:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  No problem with MNR release...didn't like the CBC article which is what I'm referring to. It is one sterile Grass Carp...hardly news worthy material in my mind.

I've caught one in Florida...a fish that grows big and fights well...why not?

After all, people INTENTIONALLY stock a fish that grows big and fights well and one that doesn't belong...and fight tooth and nail to keep the hatchery alive just to stock more...aka the Chinook Salmon.

What's another species to add to Ontario's already messed up biodiversity? Tongue

People were saying the sky was falling for Common Carp...and the Round Goby...yeah, ok. The Ruffe hasn't spread beyond that harbour in Lake Superior either...and the Rudd is still very restricted in their spread.

BTW, I'm going to challenge the Silver Carp in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how fun they can be as a hook and line catch. Tongue

Agree, I have tried carp fishing before, they are huge great fighters. You won't got a bass that big anyway. LOL.
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 04:16 PM by OldTimer.)
(05-03-2013 03:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  What's another species to add to Ontario's already messed up biodiversity? Tongue

sadly ....... another species added to Ontario's already messed up biodiversity......... and in my favorite river

Look forward to your report.

See you on the river.
05-03-2013, 10:17 PM
What bothers me the most isn't that there was a grass carp caught in our water, it's the fact that someone would do something so ignorant as to intentionally release a non-native fish into the river.

I've seen it here. A family ritualistically releasing a bucket full of live tilapia into the Ottawa River, one by one, in broad friggen day light. I have it all on video. I've since seen Tilapia swiming in the Rideau River as well and was told by an MNR officer that the local storm ponds get full of tilapia in the summer.

Tilapia can't survive our winter. That grass carp happened to be sterile. The grass carp caught near Long Sault two springs ago was killed on the spot. The point is, next time we might not be so lucky! Next time it might bucket of fully furtile silver carp. Go on youtube and see what that will look like a few years later.

I piss on polical correctness so I'll go ahead and say this: fresh-of-the boat Chinese immigrants are the ones responsible for these fish being here. What happened in the States with the silver and bighead carp is a different story all together, but the INDIVIDUALS here in Canada who are importing (illegally), selling (illegally), and releasing (illegally) live fish into our water are all newcomer Chinese.
This isn't meant as a slant against anyone one who is of Chinese descent, but the sooner the community recognizes this as a problem, the sooner it can be addressed.
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Now, now Eli...it's not just Chinese...I've seen other Southeast Asian do it too Tongue

We need to crack down on these "religious rights" to release fish for the sake of "religious belief" for a particular religion...that is the problem. And I agree that we should cut all the bull crap being politically correct regarding what is respect for "religious belief" and what is simply not legal.

Don't worry, I take no offense being Chinese Tongue

Malama o ke kai