You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grass Pickerel or Baby Pike
08-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Grass Pickerel or Baby Pike
Hi, I caught this little guy over the weekend and have had trouble identifying it.
Can anyone tell me if it's a Grass Pickerel or Baby Northern Pike.

[Image: wtKvM.jpg]

Thanks,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2012, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 05:56 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Grass Pickerel or Baby Pike
Northern Pike.

There are only a handful of areas in Ontario (I can count with my hands) where Grass Pickerel is found (thus they are a Species At Risk - SAR - due to limited and decreasing habitat). If you are not fishing in those areas (which Six Mile Lake is not from my recollection), you will not find one.

Grass Pickerel is limited to selected shorelines along Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and their very few tributaries. There were reports of some in the St. Lawrence River and apparent spreading of the species, but even so, their distribution is extremely restricted.

I did target Grass Pickerel in early summer...but a friend of mine went back to the location last week and that little spot is almost dried up due to the lack of rain this summer. Luckily, it is possible for the fish to escape to a bigger body of water nearby...

Here is the one I caught early summer. Note the black vertical stripe down the eye, the lack of cream-coloured bean shaped spots on the body (Northern Pike), but the vermiculation on the body and the orange colour pectoral, pelvic anal, and caudal (tail) fins to suggest it is a Grass Pickerel. There is also a clearing of patterns along the lateral line of Grass Pickerel, which is disrupted in this fish due to the bite makes on its side.

[Image: IMG_6202.jpg]

If a Grass Pickerel was the size of your Northern Pike, it would be a trophy. Most Grass Pickerel are between 6-12 inches long and they don't get much bigger than that. They are one of the smallest (if not the smallest) Exos species.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Giuga10 (08-27-2012)
08-27-2012, 06:36 PM
RE: Grass Pickerel or Baby Pike
(08-27-2012 05:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Northern Pike.

There are only a handful of areas in Ontario (I can count with my hands) where Grass Pickerel is found (thus they are a Species At Risk - SAR - due to limited and decreasing habitat). If you are not fishing in those areas (which Six Mile Lake is not from my recollection), you will not find one.

Grass Pickerel is limited to selected shorelines along Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and their very few tributaries. There were reports of some in the St. Lawrence River and apparent spreading of the species, but even so, their distribution is extremely restricted.

I did target Grass Pickerel in early summer...but a friend of mine went back to the location last week and that little spot is almost dried up due to the lack of rain this summer. Luckily, it is possible for the fish to escape to a bigger body of water nearby...

Here is the one I caught early summer. Note the black vertical stripe down the eye, the lack of cream-coloured bean shaped spots on the body (Northern Pike), but the vermiculation on the body and the orange colour pectoral, pelvic anal, and caudal (tail) fins to suggest it is a Grass Pickerel. There is also a clearing of patterns along the lateral line of Grass Pickerel, which is disrupted in this fish due to the bite makes on its side.

[Image: IMG_6202.jpg]

If a Grass Pickerel was the size of your Northern Pike, it would be a trophy. Most Grass Pickerel are between 6-12 inches long and they don't get much bigger than that. They are one of the smallest (if not the smallest) Exos species.

Thanks,
I read your post about the Grass Pickerel and have been immensely interested in this fish and would love to catch one (not to eat).