You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Great Lakes full of plastic
11-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Great Lakes full of plastic
http://www.windsorstar.com/Great+Lakes+f...story.html
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
RE: Great Lakes full of plastic
Interesting and sad.

What are most lures and modern lines made from?

Wood lures and cotton lines rule!......................... not.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Hmmm... should I use more live bait instead of plastic lure?
12-01-2012, 08:27 AM
(11-30-2012 07:30 PM)Tjh70 Wrote:  Hmmm... should I use more live bait instead of plastic lure?

Then what does one do with the styrofoam and plastic containers/bags the bait comes in?....................hmmm

I would think that the biggest offenders are not fishing related.

Much of the plastic in our enviroment comes from food and merchandise packaging,.............. plus the plastics used in synthetic material based cloths and fibres (BIG contributor).

Every week when you wash your "non-natural" fibre clothes the wash and rinse water sends small pieces of plastic to the water system and the dryer sends pieces (lint) to the air. Not to mention your living room's nylon rug and draperies impact when sent to the land fill.

Rather than stop using plastic lures, or wearing only cotton and wool - perhaps all can help in a greater way by recyling as much plastic as is possible while sensibly limiting our use of it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (12-06-2012)
12-01-2012, 11:17 AM
(12-01-2012 08:27 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-30-2012 07:30 PM)Tjh70 Wrote:  Hmmm... should I use more live bait instead of plastic lure?

Then what does one do with the styrofoam and plastic containers/bags the bait comes in?....................hmmm

Rather than stop using plastic lures, or wearing only cotton and wool - perhaps all can help in a greater way by recyling as much plastic as is possible while sensibly limiting our use of it.

Cheers,

OldTimer

OT nailed it on the head.

Last time at the shoreline cleanup...the top three plastic offenders noticed by me were:

1) Plastic bottle caps and bottle
2) Plastic cigar filters
3) Styrofoam containers

Fishing related plastics are not common at all (unless you're talking about a popular fishing spot).

I wish there were more fishing related plastic...like the brand new Rapala lure I found. More of those new plastic "waste" would be welcomed Big Grin.......not.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (12-06-2012)
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
(12-01-2012 08:27 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  

Much of the plastic in our enviroment comes from food and merchandise packaging,.............. plus the plastics used in synthetic material based cloths and fibres (BIG contributor).

Every week when you wash your "non-natural" fibre clothes the wash and rinse water sends small pieces of plastic to the water system and the dryer sends pieces (lint) to the air. Not to mention your living room's nylon rug and draperies impact when sent to the land fill.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I totally agree with you!
I already stopped to buy plastic water bottle. Tongue

Cheers,
Tjh70
12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
(12-01-2012 12:19 PM)Tjh70 Wrote:  I already stopped to buy plastic water bottle. Tongue

Cheers,
Tjh70

Atta boy.

I stopped my long favorite "Timmy's" habit last year, make my own coffee now and use a thermos.....saves over 250 cups/lids a year and probably hundreds of $ too.

Here's a two part question for readers to ponder:

DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY WORMS THAT COME IN A CARDBOARD (HOT SOUP) CONTAINER?..... IF SO - DO YOU BUY WORMS SOLD IN A STYROFOAM CONTAINER WITH PLASTIC LID?

Paper hot soup containers will decompose completely within a few years on the surface, and quicker if buried.......... might be worth supporting............

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
12-02-2012, 01:51 AM
(12-01-2012 02:41 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY WORMS THAT COME IN A CARDBOARD (HOT SOUP) CONTAINER?..... IF SO - DO YOU BUY WORMS SOLD IN A STYROFOAM CONTAINER WITH PLASTIC LID?

OldTimer

I've seen some completely, styrofoam, body and lid. But can't remember where and when. Not common enough to remember.

Giuga10
12-02-2012, 12:07 PM
(12-01-2012 02:41 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 12:19 PM)Tjh70 Wrote:  I already stopped to buy plastic water bottle. Tongue

Cheers,
Tjh70

Atta boy.

I stopped my long favorite "Timmy's" habit last year, make my own coffee now and use a thermos.....saves over 250 cups/lids a year and probably hundreds of $ too.

Here's a two part question for readers to ponder:

DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY WORMS THAT COME IN A CARDBOARD (HOT SOUP) CONTAINER?..... IF SO - DO YOU BUY WORMS SOLD IN A STYROFOAM CONTAINER WITH PLASTIC LID?

Paper hot soup containers will decompose completely within a few years on the surface, and quicker if buried.......... might be worth supporting............

Cheers,

OldTimer

Unfortunately, we live in the capitalism.
The plastic is cheaper and more productive. Sad

If bait shop offers "bring your own container" deal,
I'm happy to do it. Wink

Cheers,
Tjh70
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 08:36 PM by MuskieBait.)
(12-02-2012 12:07 PM)Tjh70 Wrote:  Unfortunately, we live in the capitalism.
The plastic is cheaper and more productive. Sad

If bait shop offers "bring your own container" deal,
I'm happy to do it. Wink

Cheers,
Tjh70

If we live in capitalism, it also dictates that supply and demand drives the market.

If we demand less plastic and styrofoam, it will drive the supply down.

Innovation can work to answer both needs: the need to maintain profit margin and the need to be eco-friendly.

The only question is if there is enough drive to make it happen. Drive starts with each of us personally. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html