You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Heading To Jacksons Point
07-13-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Heading To Jacksons Point
I have several very good friends that serve as medics.

Paramedics will do all that is necessary to preserve life in a critical situation.

Minor injuries, such as a hook penetration, will be left to the emergency wards to treat.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2015, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 05:13 AM by Aquaneko.)
(07-13-2015 04:50 PM)GailBait Wrote:  I have several very good friends that serve as medics.

Paramedics will do all that is necessary to preserve life in a critical situation.

Minor injuries, such as a hook penetration, will be left to the emergency wards to treat.

Gail,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same as well before how scratches and such are low priority.
Managed to make it to Jacksons Point 2 times now since my last trip. OMG.. if you are fishing on the wave breakers bring some SPF9000 sunblock because you will get seared by the sun. 2nd last time I tried out the boat by the 2 breakers in the marina and found out as a head up to those using an inflatable out there that you can't fish in the marina. Love this place. I have met many friendly people and fisherman and exchanged some contact info with others. The people mostly are friendly here and relaxed here which is what I like. I haven't met too many people like I do in Toronto/GTA that are unfriendly or like you found thier secret fishing hole and get all grouchy at you. Most people here are friendly and willing to share fishing info with others.

I was thier this monday for a day of fishing and decided to try fishing the left wave breaker as the water seemed to be lower this time I was there. The left wave breaker water is just about knee height for easy crossing. I was all day and met two people also fishing for jumbo perch. I managed to catch my first jumbo yellow perch off that wave breaker but with my medium-light 6' - 6'6" throwing a 1oz sinker out I had problems setting the hook often as I had to do a double pull (1st pull to loosen the 1oz weight. 2nd pull to try to set a hook and reel in) to try and set the hook where as the 3 people I was fishing with had IIRC a medium-heavy rod in the 9' - 12' was able to easiily free thier 1oz weight and set the hook at the same time.

I decided to harvest my first fish ever which was that jumbo yellow perch which was about 10" and about 1-1.25lbs. I decided I wanted to harvest it given the size and that it was my first jumbo and wanted to try cooking it. I still have it in the fridge in the coldest section ungutted and unfilleted. Anyone got any good easy recipies for jumbo perch? Also how long can one keep a fish in the fridge unprocessed for?

I also did some night fishing but no luck. I did get some nibbles but no hookups. I tried night fishing till up to midnight before I decided to leave. Just a quick FYI here to anyone with a car with a dedicated 'power always on' 12v port. Unplug it when not in use and be careful of using that dedicated power on port at night. I was charging a cellphone and GPS while I was fishing in the parking lot but when I decided to leave and start the car it would not start cause I drained the battery low (thankfully not dead) and ended up needing to call CAA for a quick battery boost start. BlushSad So something to consider if you do come out this way and have a portable battery booster you may want to take that with you as insurance. Cool thing was the guy from CAA also fishes and was very helpful with local areas to fish and areas to pull out some nice fish.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Aquaneko for this post:
ramzy2000 (09-11-2015), ramzy2000 (09-11-2015)
09-03-2015, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 07:07 AM by Aquaneko.)
Just got back from Jacksons Point again. Man if was the hottest day of the year according to the weather and no relief from the sun on the breakers. Only harvested 2 non jumbo yellow perch. One of which was gut hooked and I was hoping it would survive after the hook was removed but it was still not moving much and floating there after 30secs so I decided to keep it. Thankfully it measured just over the 6" (IIRC 6" is min for all fish listed in the Ontario Fish Eating guide) at 6.5". Other perch was 7.5". I did recieve 2 bass from a family man with his kids and wife. I think they are rock bass. Let me see if I can do a photo upload. I only harvested 4 fish. 2 of which I caught myself.

I spent a whole day there and IIRC my catch was:

- ~20+ round gobies (lost count after 20 SadAngrySad but humanely dispatched them)

- 1 x approx 1lb small mouth bass (lost off the hook when taking it in by the yellow railing by the 2nd breaker but had 3 witnesses) according to a guy that fishes a lot and can approx size/weight by sight.

- 2 x XL sunfish. I think pumpkin seed.
- ~5-6 small sunfish

- ~4 small perch

- 1 x ~8-9" bullhead catfish

Most of my hookups on the large sunfish and bass was ~9am. All using earth worms plucked from the ground. IIRC earthworms are like ~3.99-5.00/1 dozen which is darn pricey to me if you fish a lot. If you rarely fish and buy the bait out of the blue then ok still pricey but it is a at the moment use. I am able to pluck fatties out of the back/front lawn and down at the park at a rate of ~7-9/minute if conditions are just right and end up with a ton of worms. Way cheaper then buying bait unless desperate and the biting is so hot you use up all your worms you brought. Tongue

There was a few families there together with thier kids playing around and one of the family men there was heading out tot he left of the left breaker in a 3 man inflateable but when he came back around 7pm after being out like 5-6hrs he got nothing and hardly anything but nibbles so I guess I lucked out with my catches. Big Grin The baro was low and flatlined on my watch due to low pressure and from what I read online low pressure and calm before the storm fishing is best but I thought I would get some jumbos because of that thinking/reasoning but Sad . Oh well at least I got a few for a fish fry. Big Grin

Attached File(s) Image(s)

09-04-2015, 06:28 AM
This is from Sept 2 when I was there. Some guy caught a jumbo from the yellow railing shore and handed it to this like 14yr old kid who kept it for a while considering to take it home but as he left he gave me it.

I just took it out of the fridge to process it for a fish fry and measured it. Turns out to be a ~12.5" -13" jumbo perch. Largest I've seen.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

09-08-2015, 11:45 AM
(09-03-2015 06:43 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  Just got back from Jacksons Point again. Man if was the hottest day of the year according to the weather and no relief from the sun on the breakers. Only harvested 2 non jumbo yellow perch. One of which was gut hooked and I was hoping it would survive after the hook was removed but it was still not moving much and floating there after 30secs so I decided to keep it. Thankfully it measured just over the 6" (IIRC 6" is min for all fish listed in the Ontario Fish Eating guide) at 6.5". Other perch was 7.5". I did recieve 2 bass from a family man with his kids and wife. I think they are rock bass. Let me see if I can do a photo upload. I only harvested 4 fish. 2 of which I caught myself.

- ~20+ round gobies (lost count after 20 SadAngrySad but humanely dispatched them)

- 1 x approx 1lb small mouth bass (lost off the hook when taking it in by the yellow railing by the 2nd breaker but had 3 witnesses) according to a guy that fishes a lot and can approx size/weight by sight.

- ~5-6 small sunfish

- ~4 small perch

Most of my hookups on the large sunfish and bass was ~9am. All using earth worms plucked from the ground. IIRC earthworms are like ~3.99-5.00/1 dozen which is darn pricey to me if you fish a lot. If you rarely fish and buy the bait out of the blue then ok still pricey but it is a at the moment use. I am able to pluck fatties out of the back/front lawn and down at the park at a rate of ~7-9/minute if conditions are just right and end up with a ton of worms. Way cheaper then buying bait unless desperate and the biting is so hot you use up all your worms you brought. Tongue

There was a few families there together with thier kids playing around and one of the family men there was heading out tot he left of the left breaker in a 3 man inflateable but when he came back around 7pm after being out like 5-6hrs he got nothing and hardly anything but nibbles so I guess I lucked out with my catches. Big Grin The baro was low and flatlined on my watch due to low pressure and from what I read online low pressure and calm before the storm fishing is best but I thought I would get some jumbos because of that thinking/reasoning but Sad . Oh well at least I got a few for a fish fry. Big Grin

Hi there, I'm new to fishing; well did when I was a kid and what not, but went to a couple of cottages on rice lake this year and absolutely fell in love with it again, as did my 5 year old daughter, so now I have some gear, bought myself a tackle box and ready to do just some day fishing to finish off the season, I'm in Markham and Jackson's point isn't that far for a day trip and you had some luck, I was just wondering if there were any places that were family friendly that I could fish off a dock/pier/rocks etc... but also a little beach and play ground (bathroom) for when the little one does get bored? Also, any advice on Holland's landing would be great too as that is a shorter trip for us (not much of a driver lol)
09-08-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 01:16 PM by Aquaneko.)
(09-08-2015 11:45 AM)dawife Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 06:43 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  Just got back from Jacksons Point again. Man if was the hottest day of the year according to the weather and no relief from the sun on the breakers. Only harvested 2 non jumbo yellow perch. One of which was gut hooked and I was hoping it would survive after the hook was removed but it was still not moving much and floating there after 30secs so I decided to keep it. Thankfully it measured just over the 6" (IIRC 6" is min for all fish listed in the Ontario Fish Eating guide) at 6.5". Other perch was 7.5". I did recieve 2 bass from a family man with his kids and wife. I think they are rock bass. Let me see if I can do a photo upload. I only harvested 4 fish. 2 of which I caught myself.

- ~5-6 small sunfish

- ~4 small perch

Hi there, I'm new to fishing; well did when I was a kid and what not, but went to a couple of cottages on rice lake this year and absolutely fell in love with it again, as did my 5 year old daughter, so now I have some gear, bought myself a tackle box and ready to do just some day fishing to finish off the season, I'm in Markham and Jackson's point isn't that far for a day trip and you had some luck, I was just wondering if there were any places that were family friendly that I could fish off a dock/pier/rocks etc... but also a little beach and play ground (bathroom) for when the little one does get bored? Also, any advice on Holland's landing would be great too as that is a shorter trip for us (not much of a driver lol)

Hi.

If you go to this location as I have said before Jacksons Point on Marlone (GPS: 80 Marlone (forgot if drive or what not. Just google map 'Jacksons Point marlone 80, ontario' and it should show up) it is a great place to fish. You will pass the marina parking lot to get to this location. The marina parking lot is more of a boat launching site and beach/dock that I have seen families and kids play at before with some trees and picnic tables around. BYO-BBQ (charcoal allowed). IIRC there is a washroom building by the parking ticket meter. A note on the parking ticket meter as someone that is local but lives in Keswick has told me that the meter has issues taking paper money for whatever reason and IIRC will not take coins. Credit card works fine.

Price of parking is an oucher tho. $4.00/hour or $20.00/all day till 8am. If you want to get the most of your parking money make it full day-night trip. Have the kids do a little light car camping (like a blanket and not a full car camping setup to avoid any issues. Most people will see a blanket in a car as just normal for warming up) while the adults relax at night doing some night fishing and talking/relaxing then leave at 8am. Smile

There is a small shore (some may call it a beach...more mini-beach) on Marlone. The distance between Bonnie Park (marina) is about 1/2 km walk. From the marina to the closest Tim Hortons is approx. 1km. Closest grocery store is ~1km from Tim Hortons. Closest 24/7 fishing bait vending machine (don't know any local stores) is the Petro Canada (by the UltraMar petrol station) as you come into town. Never bought bait there so no idea on the pricing but IIRC what someone said before I think it was like 3.99-4.99 a tub of 12 nightcrawlers which is nice to know where there is a 24/7 close my bait vending machine if the biting is hot and you run out of worms. IMHO it is way cheaper to get an ice cream bucket and put like 1/4 - 1/3 dry peat moss in the tub and get a pair of pliers and a flashlight and find some plastic bag that has some red logo on it (Canadian Tire comes to mind ;D) and put that logo over the flashlight and pluck the worms off your local park/front/back lawn after it has been mowed short and after a rain storm.

Protip 1: Wait a couple seconds before plucking the worm to see which end the head is moving. If you are fast on reflexes using a pair of pliers that are spring loaded to keep them always open pluck the worms body closest to the hole in a fast jerk out motion giving the worm little time to recoil back into the hole allowing a holw worm instead of what I call as a 'break off'. Nothing wrong with break offs just less worm.

Protip 2: If your reflexes are slow/slower then look for worms that are ~3-4" stretched out of thier hole. That way if you screw up and quick enough for a follow up you can get what I call a 'double strike' second chance to pull the whole worm out as the worm is in shock and not fully transfering all muscles towards going back down the hole.

So where was I ....ah...at the mini beach on Marlone there are two portable washrooms. One regular. One larger to accomedate those with mobility issues. Don't ask if you need to double up on the TP on the seats as I never had to pinch a loaf. BlushTongueRolleyesBig Grin I will say you will need to bring your own hand cleaner as there is no hand cleaner in the loo's there. I have mentioned before in previous posts here how to access the three wave breaker islands. The breaker closest to the left is the shallowest at knee height. Surrounding the breaker on the left is shallow water approx 2ft high and travels out oh...IDK...approx... 20ft x 30ft and more hugging the shoreline so lots of shallows for the kids to stomp around in safely as well as for people looking to walk further out to cast into deeper waters. Both locations at the marina and Marlone are safe but if you are solo/female I would recommend Marlone as there is only one way in and out by car and all the people in the boats are angled on docks pointed towards you and also you are directly backed onto approx. 3-4 peoples wooden fenced backyards.

What I am trying to say is if you are female and like fishing but none of your friends want to go fishing and you want to go fishing alone this is IMHO the safest spot as all eyes are on you including the people living in the houses above the water houses so help is near immediate.

Check the forecast before going. I have always had the best luck and seems to support what I have read online that 'the calm before the storm' (ie. if it is to rain later that day) the barometric pressure is low and it seems the fish are more apt to feed more. Also I would like to note that on the Marlone side there is little in the ways for shade from the searing/baking sun tho I am sure if you brought a free standing sun tent or tent no one will bother you.

Final note/reminder if you do bring an inflatable boat/dingy you can not fish inside the marina. However if you want to fish outside the marina close to the breakers go for it but I warn you....some (not all as I have noticed some boats slowing way down before making a turn into the harbour) seadoo/motor boat drivers are total dinks not caring (more the yahoo youths that think they own all the water and I sometimes think they skirt the shores knowing people are fishing there just to piss them off. If you encounter one of those deliberate dinks I hope your 1-2oz sinker does not accidently whack them in the head doing a power cast :rolleyesSmile powering by at full speed causing you rocking waves which may/may not flip your inflateable.

Enjoy your trip and hopefully I may run into you there. Wink Sorry can't help out on Holland Marsh area as I've not fished there. According to a couple that was night fishing that live in Keswick they told me the goverment did some stuff around the area making it more costly to park anywhere and fish and was grumbling how the goverment seems to want to charge to anything and everything they can get away with that used to be free. So that is all the feedback I have on that area.

EDIT:

I see you're from Markham. There are a number of places to fish in Markham as well. Check my post on Too Good Pond. Well known for carp and a good fight. Also beside Markville Mall is Waldon Pond which is known for carp and behind it the Rouge River passes by it allowing a 2 in 1 fishing spot like 10 seconds apart from the bridge at Waldon Pond. Park at the soccer field and walk 5 mins to the bridge. Both Too Good Pond and Waldon Pond are well known for fire ants. It seems where ever the fire ants are the fishing is good as the fish know the ants will fall in and get a feed. Too Good has bathrooms but weekends only IIRC. Waldon does not but offers a lot of privacy if you need to fertilze a tree. AngelTongue

Protip: Bring insect repellent and spray the ground AND your shoes/socks to keep the ants off you. If you're using it for ground spray just get a cheap bottle at Wallyworld and save the good stuff for you and the kids.
09-08-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 01:37 PM by dawife.)
wow, thanks for all the info, so narrowed it down to Jackson's point, hollands marsh, or rouge valley, I hear rouge valley is really beautiful so been googling that one too

Were you expecting more bass there?
have you ever tried Milne Dam Conservation Park ?
09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
wow... red bull?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 02:32 PM by Aquaneko.)
(09-08-2015 01:25 PM)dawife Wrote:  wow, thanks for all the info, so narrowed it down to Jackson's point, hollands marsh, or rouge valley, I hear rouge valley is really beautiful so been googling that one too

Were you expecting more bass there?
have you ever tried Milne Dam Conservation Park ?

I don't want to go too far off here. If you're new to fishing and the kids are new to fishing as well I have always recommended if they are close in Markham the Waldon Pond as you will get sunfish all day long and more larger fish by the bridge. Have the kids fish under the bridge. If you're not getting 10 bites and hook ups an hour for sunfish there then I would be checking for dead fish bodies and wondering if someone bleached the waters there. Rouge Beach is quite the drive away which is why I recommend for newbies the Waldon because you can fish 2 bodies of water here side by side. The river behind the pond I have caught rock bass and someoneI was with got lucky and caught a rainbow trout which blew my mind it made it that further up the river.

Been to Milne twice before. Once inside the park the other on a residential street right by the dam. FYI, Milne charges IDK 10.00 maybe 15.00...again..IDK parking only on the weekends. Other times no charge. BYO-BBQ (charcoal only) and washrooms on site. I think I only got nibbles there before but others have hooked up some large fish there because it links to the Rouge River rainbow trout is possible.

(09-08-2015 02:10 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  wow... red bull?

Haha, No. I like to be as detailed as I can when I can.
09-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I can't/don't know how to find the thread for toogood, is it recent?