You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi, I'm new here
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: Hi, I'm new here
(03-04-2013 01:25 PM)onwind Wrote:  yes, It's the mill pond in Richmond hill. the bass can be found in the inside smaller pond.
Where is the nearest entrance with parking for that pond?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I used to arrive there early in the morning and park at the Mill St side.
(03-04-2013 01:56 PM)angler1 Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 01:25 PM)onwind Wrote:  yes, It's the mill pond in Richmond hill. the bass can be found in the inside smaller pond.
Where is the nearest entrance with parking for that pond?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to onwind for this post:
angler1 (03-04-2013)
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
(03-04-2013 02:18 PM)onwind Wrote:  I used to arrive there early in the morning and park at the Mill St side.
Thanks, I'll try that pond in the Summer.
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
(03-03-2013 03:02 PM)angler1 Wrote:  Hi, I'm Lee, another angler from Markham. I've been fishing for three years. I've taken a several trips to lake Scugog and Rice Lake and rented a boat with family and friends. I've also fished some of the local ponds in Markham. I practice catch and release. Everything I know about fishing, I learnt from Googling, so I'm not too skillful!

I joined this forum so hopefully I can find some good shore fishing spots within an hour's drive of my home. Even though I've been on several boat fishing trips, I wasn't very successful in catching many fish, so may give that up since it's pretty depressing driving all that way, spending money renting a boat an still not catching a lot of fish.

From one newbie to another: Join the club Smile

Googling and Youtube for me :-)
I was influenced into buying different types of lures this winter just by watching them darn Youtube videos. Can't wait to try them out this coming summer.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to check out the Markham ponds soon with some forum members.

Can't believe I lived in Markham all these years and never tried fishing... better late than never Smile
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 08:58 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(03-03-2013 03:02 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I've taken a several trips to lake Scugog and Rice Lake and rented a boat with family and friends.

You mentioned going on several boat trips and not catching anything... happens to everyone. Sometimes the fish are just off... not biting at all. Happened to me a few times last summer...

some "masters" can probrably still catch fish under these conditions... but I don't know how they do that.

My go-to method for rice and scugog from a boat last summer (first summer fishing) would be to drop shot a small grub down into the weeds. It would usually work though.

(03-03-2013 11:09 PM)angler1 Wrote:  I have fished:

1. Toogood Pond
Several times and caught nothing.

2. Milne Dam
Several times and caught nothing. Want my $5 back.

Will never go back to Toogood or Milne Dam, even though some people say that they have caught fish there. I swear to God that there are no fish there. It's just an urban myth that they exist there, or they smelled me coming.

3. Swan Lake. Caught a ton of sunfish and small perch off the dock, two years ago. Last year, didn't even get a bite off the dock but caught several bullheads off the bridge on the north side.

4. Mount Joy Pond. Caught a few sunfish and crappie, and one tiny LM bass, about 10 cm long (I want to catch his mom).

Not a lot of action here in Markham.

All those bodies of water have carp in them... some probably over 10 lbs. I've hooked them on worms and also on dough balls called "boillies" that are designed to keep other fish besides carp from stealing your bait.

They're tough to catch though... many hours at all those places have left me empty handed.

They're all super shallow bodies of water. They all are about 3-6 feet deep all the way across... not what one would expect.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2013, 12:09 PM
(05-01-2013 08:55 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  All those bodies of water have carp in them... some probably over 10 lbs. I've hooked them on worms and also on dough balls called "boillies" that are designed to keep other fish besides carp from stealing your bait.

They're tough to catch though... many hours at all those places have left me empty handed.

They're all super shallow bodies of water. They all are about 3-6 feet deep all the way across... not what one would expect.

Over the weekend, I tried carp fishing, for the first time, at Mount Joy. I fished on the south side for 45 min but didn't catch anything. I used bouyant, artificial corn on an inline bolt rig with a hair rig. I didn't chum the area, maybe that was a mistake.
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 04:49 PM by MuskieBait.)
(05-01-2013 12:09 PM)angler1 Wrote:  Over the weekend, I tried carp fishing, for the first time, at Mount Joy. I fished on the south side for 45 min but didn't catch anything. I used bouyant, artificial corn on an inline bolt rig with a hair rig. I didn't chum the area, maybe that was a mistake.

It's not just about chumming.

If the carp are not in the area, it doesn't matter how much you chum...they're not there to find your chum.

Even in a small pond, fish are not always covering the entire pond. Sometimes they can congregate in one area for quite sometime, then something trigger them to move to another areas and use that area for sometime. Then there are occasions where they would have specific feeding areas. They would move from area to area quickly, often not stopping to feed in between. I've had carp pass over a whole bed of corn while they are moving from one defined feeding area to another.

The important thing is to identify these feeding areas and then put your fishing effort in these specific spots.

In rivers, it is a bit different as the current will disperse scent from your bed of chum. In smaller lake and pond where even wind driven current is limited, it is a different matter.

Now...if you have the dedication to chum the same area every other day...you can establish a feeding area where fish will come back over and over again.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome to OSF, Angler1.

Great news to hear about mill pond. I've been there for sightseeing last fall. Maybe I should try at that pond.

Angler1, you may use your gps to search mill pond park, there is a parking area at the entrance.
05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I've tried many of the ponds in Markham without much success.

I'd say the best places are the hidden spots off of the beaten trail. I have found some places to fish where I have not seen any other anglers and that is where I have found my success.