You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hook sharpening
06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Hook sharpening
Any thoughts on hook point shape and sharpening tools?

Many sharpening stones are notched to give you a round needle point.

I like a triangular point and have two favourite tools: a small single mill ignition point file (remember those?) and a hard Arkansas pocket stone.

I file the outside flat and cut the 'tent' sides at 60 degrees. A few swipes with the ignition file makes quick work of this. On large hooks or if I'm being really careful, I'll also use the hard Arkansas pocket stone with a drop of mineral oil.

You never see a hunting broadhead with a round point, but some have triangular points. I've always figured that a triangular pont on a hook sets easier.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 10:51 PM
RE: Hook sharpening
From what I have heard hooks are now chemically sharpened so unless they are actually dull you should not try to sharpen them. My hooks don't tend to have much of a life. Lost/snagged or bent, I have never had to worry about this.
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 08:52 AM
RE: Hook sharpening
I sharpen hooks just like you do alcom. I think that was a discussion a while back on hook sharpening. Do a search for it.

I use this hook file from BassProShop. Awesome file. All it takes is a few passes on each face of the hook to get it to razor sharp. Great for big hooks, but I've only used it for a few months. It's a little big for smaller hooks though and I can't see how to make it work for #14 or smaller hooks.

http://www.basspro.com/Hook-File/product/1587/

I used to have this one before, but the diamond dust came off easy and now the entire coated layer is peeling off. The metal underneath has started to rust as well. It was good for small hook for a few years...but takes a lot of time on bigger hooks.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Di.../10213882/

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user