You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How do you carry your Shore-Fishin' Gear?
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 11:02 AM by A2F.)
How do you carry your Shore-Fishin' Gear?
Hello Fellow Addicts!

I've been recently thinking of ways to carry my Shore-Fishing stuff around, moving from spot to spot - while maintaining comfort.

Last summer, I went to "Toronto Island" to do some fishing - at the time, I just brought my typical "Over the Shoulder" style Tackle Bag. They carry well, for the 1st hr or so but due to the style of these bags (and dependant on the wieght), they don't make good for "long" hikes - Eventually, the strap "Over the Shoulder" starts to put a toll on the body making it uncomfortable to carry.

Later on that day, we then came across a bunch of "Disc Golfers" playing - and I saw this "Strap" like contraption holding their bags on their backs... which, immediatly caught my eye - "HOLY CRAP! THAT'S AN AWESOME IDEA!".

So, rather than spending the money right away I tried to find 'similar' ideas - Why not use a BACKPACK! This worked great for awhile, only problem is that when I leaned over (say to assist going downhill - tying my shoes - or some similar movement) - the bag would sort of 'ride up' (if that makes sense). I also found problems like - no holsters for my "scents" (which I use a whole lot) and other fishing related compartments.

Anyway, I then later on (in the year) decided - screw it! I'll buy those 'Disc Golf Straps" and see how well they do - they look pretty comfortable. I'll just REMOVE the "Over the Shoulder" straps and put on the "Disc Golf Straps". Well, lastnight was the 1st time I got to use it - and I have to say - it makes the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE EVER! Smile WAY MORE COMFORTABLE - AND - It has compartments DESIGNED to carry "Fishing Gear" (ie: Plano Boxes etc..) when paired with your original tackle bag!

This is how I carry my stuff around while fishing - so far, I gotta say it was the smartest move yet.

Here is what they look like:

1) http://www.fontcraft.com/gaybags1.jpg
2) http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m...bo3gsw.jpg
3) http://www.discgolf.com/wp-content/uploa...traps-.jpg

How do you carry your fishing gear while fishing from Shore?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 01:49 PM by MikeH.)
RE: How do you carry your Shore-Fishin' Gear?
(11-26-2012 10:22 AM)A2F Wrote:  How do you carry your fishing gear while fishing from Shore?

It depends what I'm fishing for....

If I am just heading out for dropshotting, or urban locations in the summer I only take my Combat belt. (courtesy of my Bro' and 2nd Battalion)

If I am setting up for a days Carp fishing, I'll take the Chairpak.

And If I am wandering around looking for new spots and who knows what species or going somewhere wet and muddy, I'll take the Boat bag and wash it down afterwards.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-26-2012, 11:16 PM
i like to fish multispecies and go prepared for everything...i take 20 times what i need....may need 5 cans of corn for a days carp fishing, worms for the bowfin, artificials for pike and bass, raincoat,sweater,hat lunch,beverages,landing gear,camera, phone,sunscreen, etc.....large napsac is the only way i can lug 30 lbs of gear around allday comfortably....its my nature to over prepare and if i don't my fishing suffers from my anxiety....each individual is unique.
Mike always has what he needs yet carries a third of what i do...i like your fris beegolf bag idea...looking at the bags i see your points made......i just impulsively need to have more than they can carry. my own burden to bare.
11-27-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 02:04 PM by grubman.)
That's a great product, the only problem is everything is behind you. So if you're scouting an area and need something do you have to take everything off? You'll can obviously carry it on your shoulder for short distances and then for long jaunts put it on that strap. How much is does it go for?

That chair pack is really cool, what a great design. How much is that go for?

Thanks guys for posting.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I use a soft bag with boxes in it too. Yes it is so full that it's not a square bag anymore and it is getting heavy.
11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Disc Golf Straps cost anywhere from $30-$60 More/Less
11-27-2012, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 02:50 PM by MikeH.)
(11-27-2012 02:02 PM)grubman Wrote:  That's a great product, the only problem is everything is behind you. So if you're scouting an area and need something do you have to take everything off?

That chair pack is really cool, what a great design. How much is that go for?

I guess he could do what I do with the combat belt...put it on backwards... Smile

The chairpak was around $90
http://www.chairpak.com/purchase_backpack_chair.html

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
(11-27-2012 02:02 PM)grubman Wrote:  EDIT: I forgot to mention, I use a soft bag with boxes in it too. Yes it is so full that it's not a square bag anymore and it is getting heavy.

HAHAAHA!!! I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM TOO! Big Grin
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys.

I was thinking of changing my bag for a fishing vest. Some of the vests now hold alot of stuff. A buddy of mine got a nice one from LeBaron for $45.
11-28-2012, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012 08:58 AM by A2F.)
(11-28-2012 12:05 AM)grubman Wrote:  Thanks guys.

I was thinking of changing my bag for a fishing vest. Some of the vests now hold alot of stuff. A buddy of mine got a nice one from LeBaron for $45.

If price isn't an issue - I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND FishPondUSA's WILDHORSE TECH PACK - Found at...

http://www.fishpondusa.com/wildhorse.cfm

I use this primarily for Steelheading, but when spring comes and I need my panfish gear - I load this thing up! you get A LOT OF SPACE!! Sometimes also, I'll load it up with Bass/Pike gear (or whatever I'm fishing for).

I bought mine @ Bass Pro Shops for $199 Smile
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
wow, that 'chairpack' looks awesome. Pity there's only a couple places I fish where it would be useful.

I wear my fishing vest, my camera backpack, and an over the shoulder bag so both hands are free; one for the pole and one for my net. I've actually considered MacGyvering some sort of a 'wheelie' suitcase for fishing use.