You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Niagara suggestions?
11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Niagara suggestions?
I might spend a day next week shore fishing somewhere in Niagara, I'm thinking either the Welland River or the Niagara Whirlpool, unless there's another option I'm missing, I don't know the area too well. Most of what I've read about these spots is about other times of year so I don't know what the opportunities are like in November.

Basically I'm looking for warm water predators in the broad sense, not too picky about species. If anyone can share anything about what to expect and what to use, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: Niagara suggestions?
(11-06-2014 05:32 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Basically I'm looking for warm water predators in the broad sense

Not sure what species those are, but at the whirlpool they have everything. Bass, sheepshead, musky, silver bass, channel catfish, carp, smallmouth buffalo, and other species I couldn't identify off the top of my head. Definitely a different variety than anywhere else I've fished in southern ontario.

Also right now, the seasonal fish there could be salmon (most are gone probably), steelhead, brown trout, even heard a few Lake Trout caught there as well. And there's always that lottery chance at hooking into a sturgeon!

Definitely the only place I feel is worth fishing in that area, but if you've never been there, prepare for the hike of a lifetime (by most people's standards) it's not for the faint of heart.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Toasty for this post:
tweedwolfscream (11-07-2014)
11-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks Toasty.
By warm water predators I mean bass, pike, muskie, walleye, panfish... all of which (except maybe the walleye) I've heard of at the whirlpool, but in the summer, I don't know if it's still good for them in November? Then again November is normally good for those species in general. Anyway I'm not too concerned about the hike so if the whirlpool is my best bet that's where I'll go.
11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
(11-07-2014 08:23 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Not really warm water - but Browns should be starting up, or perhaps in progress, at Port Dalhousie below the small power plant.

Browns have been on fire there. Caught maybe 10-12 per day there the last couple weeks bottom bouncing with roe
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 09:49 PM by FishingAssasin.)
[/size] The whirlpool is filled with fish depending on the season. Since we are in fall and falling into winter, you could probably get some early season steelhead with centerpjn and roe or rapala j-12's.
11-12-2014, 02:06 AM
The whirlpool is great. Just less than 10 minutes hiking.
11-25-2014, 11:13 PM
the whirlpool is the best 365 day fishery out there bar none for the shore angler IMO. watch out for the snags, you can lose a lot of lures. It can be tough down there without any know of how to fish it. trout are there now. The hike down-watch out rolling your ankle, the hike up-watch out for a heart attack...it's not that bad, just pace yourself.
11-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks all, sorry I didn't report back when I went. Didn't have any luck, did lose a couple of lures and somehow break a rod (had a telescopic spare fortunately). The shore of the whirlpool was full of people with much better gear than me (mostly centre pins) catching nothing, so I gave up after a little while and spent the rest of the day exploring other fishing spots in the region, got skunked but it was a pleasant expedition. I think the bite was just off, it was that one really warm day a couple of weeks ago, maybe that had to do with it. But a nice day to be outside.

As for the hike in I more than paid my dues. Walking from the parking lot I went the wrong way and ended up on an "unofficial" trail down the side of the ravine that leads to the whirlpool. I was scrambling and stumbling down while holding onto trees and rocks with my hands, thinking wow, this hike really isn't exaggerated, and then when the bottom of the ravine came in sight I saw people casually strolling along on the actual trail. Needless to say the hike back to the car seemed pretty easy to me after that.