You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"How to do Florida"
10-26-2012, 11:45 PM
RE: "How to do Florida"
(10-26-2012 06:19 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  In comparison to the other dozen or so various conventionals I have......... I guess it's a bit taller and narrower...... much taller than my three 309s........why?

Just curious, that's all. Did it feel a little more inconvenient to thumb the spool on a taller spool?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Didn’t really cast a whole lot using the Penn 49 reel - was used more for dropping a bait off a pier, bridge or drift boats.

In the salt for conventional reel casting I use one of my Penn 155 Beachmasters or my (favorite) Penn 200 Surfmaster.

The Penn 309’s I use mostly for deep water freshwater trolling and are currently set up with heavy lines or metal (monel) line.

The Penn 209’s were my Dad’s and I really haven’t used them much at all since getting them. But they are trolling reels due to the level winds.

The Penn 285 Delmar is a good all round reel due to it not having a level wind, but has low capacity. It’s larger diameter yet thin profile spool makes it cast pretty good. The stainless spool has stood up well.

My Ocean City 922 I use for boat, pier, and bridge fishing. Nice compact reel with a smooth drag. It is a level wind but I’ve cast not too bad with it. Hard to rinse out well though.

The other level winds (Garcia, Pflueger, Shakespeare) I have are really better as freshwater reels that I use for bass, pike and muskie.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Man, you are a Penn hoarder! Big Grin They are great reel for the price for sure!

Personally, I'm loving the Daiwa Saltists! I had a Penn Jigmaster, but I was ready for an upgrade. Now Michael has inherited the Jigmaster. Smile

I still have a Penn Spinfisher 650SS High Speed. This is the last Made in USA model Spinfisher that is now discontinued. Ever since I got a Shimano Baitrunner 4500B, I haven't touched the Spinfisher reel at all.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html