You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Line selection
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Line selection
Never say never.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2014, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 03:24 PM by MuskieBait.)
(04-18-2014 02:38 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Never say never.

I refrained from responding before...because some members may not have experienced heavy line applications (30lb mono and 50lb braid is not heavy)...but some of us (like you and I, OT), don't just talk the talk but we've walked the walk.

I challenge MRQturbo to join an 80lb braid mainline with 10 feet of 60lb mono using a blood knot or a uni-to-uni knot and tell me that even a properly tied knot will not interfere with the guides on the cast. Now tell us that when you use 100lb+ mono or fluoro that these same knots won't interfere.

Even with 30lb mono or fluoro, I prefer to have a low profile knot as a connection...and preferably the tag end of the knot does not stick out at 90 degree. Any bit of advantage help when casting...and you certainly don't want any disadvantages such as a big splice knot in the way when you are casting.

People have ripped out or cracked ceramic guide inserts on the cast when the knot is flying through the guides. Not very typical in freshwater but it is not uncommon surf fishing or casting heavy lures and jigs. Also, with longer leaders, you may have the knot reeled back onto the spool when the fish make another hard and fast run. In that case, the line is already under tension and when the knot is pulled rapidly against the line guide, it can also rip out the ceramic insert. The bigger the knot, the greater the risk.

If you use baitcaster, a big knot can catch in the levelwind too. Many of the bass size baitcasters have levelwinds that are too small for uni-to-uni knot tied with 50lb braid and 30lb fluoro. My Shimano Coriolis is one example. That is why I started looking at other slim profile knot like the Tony Pena knot when I need to tie a heavy fluoro leader for pike fishing or muskie fishing. Bigger baitcaster like the Shimano Cardiff may still have a problem. I have not heard of the levelwind insert ripping out on the cast, but that's still possible.

At the minimum, if the knot gets caught on the cast, it creates a dangerous situation where a mis-cast can whip around and catch someone in the back of the head or body. It's not ideal at all.

There are reasons why knots like Albright, Improved Albright, Tony Pena and GT knots are preferred with heavy mono or fluoro leaders...and there are even people who use hollow core braid and splice mono or fluoro to make wind on leaders.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Yes - it can be quite "surprising" when a knot hangs up, just for a split second, when tossing half a pound of bait and lead.............. smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-27-2014, 03:19 PM
50 lb braid..... wow.... what you plan on catching?

Personally, i found that 30 lb Power Pro was more than sufficient just about anything we have lurking in Ontario.... and if i less visibility i'd add on a 10 lb fluro leader..... just my personal preference.... as for light set ups.... mono all the way... i find fluro has too much memory for my liking...

just my 2 cents. Smile
Find all posts by this user
04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
50lb braid for carp or muskies.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
04-29-2014, 01:55 PM
50lb braid also helps for casting heavy weights and fighting snags in rocky areas without loosing terminal tackle when bottom fishing.
Find all posts by this user