You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lure modification
07-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Lure modification
Generally, do any of you adjust certain lures to alter the action or increase hookups? I've been reading a lot about lure modification recently and I'm curious if anyone on this board thinks it's worth it.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2017, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 02:13 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Lure modification
(07-25-2017 10:32 AM)eimajretnuh Wrote:  Generally, do any of you adjust certain lures to alter the action or increase hookups? I've been reading a lot about lure modification recently and I'm curious if anyone on this board thinks it's worth it.

Hi JamieHunter,

I have adjusted the tracking of some brand new lures just out of the package to correct unsatisfactory tracking or diving characteristics. This would include such lures as original design rapalas (tweaking the wire hoop on the nose), hot’n’tots and the like (correcting tracking or diving by bending the metal lips), inline spinners such as Mepps etc (making the connecting loop actually in-line with the centre line of the lure – this substantially reduces line twist)…………….etc…………………….. – worth it!

I have chopped, carved and soldered/melted plastics to get a shape or reduced size I like……….. Chopping size down achieved some success for fussy fish or to match the population………. The rest kept me outta the pool hall or bars.

I have adding eyes or enhanced the original “eyes” on hard baits – occasionally is worth it. Did this with stick on “sticker” eyes…… or liquid white out……..and/or black magic markers.

I have replaced trebles with large siwash on pacific salmon lures – worth it! Better hooking and holding.

I have replaced trebles up a few sizes on top water bass lures to better match my targets – it helped.

I have removed the lead trebles on some top water lures that have two sets - to reduce ripping up fish with face and body impales, or reduce net tangles. Works , but may be causing missed strikes.

I have added weight to casting spoons………….. not sure if this actually helped or just got me out where the fish were. Tip - they do sell heavy spoons.

I have added trailer stinger hooks or trailing flies to crank baits and poppers……….. worth it if the fish are short striking…. But a pain in the butt with added tangles and fouled lures – wasting time.

But - out and out major modification of lure profiles, adding rattles, adding holes, messing with balance or such…………. in my experience,(…………….. and ya I tried some) …………..it bottom line wasted time, was a flop, and was expensive (most lures became useless). The engineering staff at most reputable brand name lure companies actually do pay attention to the balance, buoyancy, tracking, diving and optimum weight characteristics of their products.

Fly modification?................. whole different story.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
eimajretnuh (07-25-2017)
07-25-2017, 03:01 PM
That's awesome, OldTimer! Thanks for the list.
08-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Yes that was very helpful oldtimer, thanks . You can take it another step further and make your own lures , inline spinners are easy to make and cheaper than buying the brand name ones. Plus you can build and modify them to suit where you fish. A lot of possibilities when it comes to making your own lures. I have had a lot of success with quite a few lures I have produced over the years.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mikebass22 for this post:
eimajretnuh (08-28-2017)
08-29-2017, 03:42 PM
(08-27-2017 05:19 PM)Mikebass22 Wrote:  Yes that was very helpful oldtimer, thanks . You can take it another step further and make your own lures , inline spinners are easy to make and cheaper than buying the brand name ones. Plus you can build and modify them to suit where you fish. A lot of possibilities when it comes to making your own lures. I have had a lot of success with quite a few lures I have produced over the years.

Cool.

Post some pictures of your most productive creations.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Only in childhood I've tried to make inline spinners. Though now luck with them...