You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Which lure will you use when you go to a new spot
09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Which lure will you use when you go to a new spot
When you go to a new place for fishing panfish, but you cannot find any of them, which fast lure will you choose to locate them? Last time I lost my brand new Johnson beetle spinner as it is hanged up in the bottom of too good pond. what a sad day! I will never use the expensive lures for searching fishes in a new place.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2012, 04:47 PM
RE: Which lure will you use when you go to a new spot
Instead of using lure, why not use a simple float, splitshot and hook rig and use earthworms for bait?

Panfish may not bite artificial lures at times, but readily bite a chunk of fresh worms. This is the easiest way to figure out if fish are in the area or not.

Once you find them, then go at them with lures if you like.

If you don't have a box of worms in the fridge, then dig up some worms on location, or find some slugs, beetles, grasshopper...anything smaller can be used for bait. Even shrimp or squid had worked for me in a pinch.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I has thought float is a very slow method, perhaps I am wrong.
I lived in Condo, so it's not easy for me to get earth worm in the yard. and every time I don't have plenty duration of time for fishing, I don't want to spend too much time on finding earthworms. so I prefer artificial baits which no need to prepare.

(09-27-2012 04:47 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Instead of using lure, why not use a simple float, splitshot and hook rig and use earthworms for bait?

Panfish may not bite artificial lures at times, but readily bite a chunk of fresh worms. This is the easiest way to figure out if fish are in the area or not.

If you don't have a box of worms in the fridge, then dig up some worms on location, or find some slugs, beetles, grasshopper...anything smaller can be used for bait. Even shrimp or squid had worked for me in a pinch.
09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
If you do want a lure try a small jig. The Panfish love em'. Toogood pond isn't a very good place for Panfish despite it's name Tongue. Try stormwater ponds or lakes those never fail for descent panfish!

Good luck,
Giuga10
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
(09-27-2012 04:51 PM)onwind Wrote:  I has thought float is a very slow method, perhaps I am wrong.
I lived in Condo, so it's not easy for me to get earth worm in the yard. and every time I don't have plenty duration of time for fishing, I don't want to spend too much time on finding earthworms. so I prefer artificial baits which no need to prepare.

(09-27-2012 04:47 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Instead of using lure, why not use a simple float, splitshot and hook rig and use earthworms for bait?

You can buy a dozen worms and keep them in the styrofoam container for upwards of 3 months in the fridge. I've them last that long in my fridge.

Float is not necessarily a slow way of fishing. It depends on how you fish it. If you leave it to sit in one spot all day, yes, that's absolutely slow and unproductive unless fish are cruising by your float all the time.

Alternatively, learn to recognize where fish may be located (wood debris, weed edge, within openings in the weeds, along shoreline areas, rocky shorelines with a mud transition...etc)...and work them systematically and quickly. If you are using worms and not getting bites immediately from sunfish, you're not doing something right, or the fish are not around the area.

So cast out your float rig at specific areas where you think the fish are located, let the float rig sit for 30 seconds to 60 seconds, then move it about 2 feet to 5 feet, and repeat. Work the area 2-3 times doing this and move to the next area if you are not getting bites.

Live bait is your best indicator of panfish in the area because there is seldom times a panfish will not hit a chunk of worms. There are too many variables with lures. It could be the retrieve speed. It could be the size. It could be the colour. It could be the action of the lure. It could be the depth the lure is running. Too many factors...and if you say you have little time to fish, then why not use something that can help you figure out fish location quickly?

With a float rig fishing a piece of worm, you already know a panfish will more likely than not bite that piece of worm. So you already eliminate one variable. You don't need to worry about retrieve speed since you are working systematically along an area. You eliminated another variable. A worm is a worm and it has only its natural colour. You eliminated that variable too. You don't need any action to your worm because a fresh piece of worm will wriggle imparting natural motion. 4th variable crossed off...so you are really down to what depth you are fishing, and where fish may be in that piece of structure at that spot. You really just have a couple of factors to figure out at that point.

Remember, the question that you want to answer is "Where is the fish?", so that should your focus; not what size, colour, action, speed of lure. Once you find their location, then go ahead and fish with lures and figure out how to catch them on lures.

If I were to use a lure as a search pattern though, once I somewhat figure out where fish may be, I would use a light jighead (1/16oz to 1/8oz) with a 1-2" twister tail grub or 1-2" tube jig. You can cast that on light line and light rod and work areas quickly. You can let that sink a bit and work it deeper at a slow speed or work it faster closer to the surface.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
onwind (09-27-2012)
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 05:40 PM by onwind.)
yes, I didn't get any bites last time in too good pond, do you know any stormwater ponds or lakes good for pan fish in Markham, Vanghan or Richmond hill?
Very persuasive answer, it's really helpful for me. thank you very much.

(09-27-2012 05:13 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(09-27-2012 04:51 PM)onwind Wrote:  I has thought float is a very slow method, perhaps I am wrong.

You can buy a dozen worms and keep them in the styrofoam container for upwards of 3 months in the fridge. I've them last that long in my fridge.

Float is not necessarily a slow way of fishing. It depends on how you fish it. If you leave it to sit in one spot all day, yes, that's absolutely slow and unproductive unless fish are cruising by your float all the time.

Alternatively, learn to recognize where fish may be located (wood debris, weed edge, within openings in the weeds, along shoreline areas, rocky shorelines with a mud transition...etc)...and work them systematically and quickly. If you are using worms and not getting bites immediately from sunfish, you're not doing something right, or the fish are not around the area.

So cast out your float rig at specific areas where you think the fish are located, let the float rig sit for 30 seconds to 60 seconds, then move it about 2 feet to 5 feet, and repeat. Work the area 2-3 times doing this and move to the next area if you are not getting bites.

Live bait is your best indicator of panfish in the area because there is seldom times a panfish will not hit a chunk of worms. There are too many variables with lures. It could be the retrieve speed. It could be the size. It could be the colour. It could be the action of the lure. It could be the depth the lure is running. Too many factors...and if you say you have little time to fish, then why not use something that can help you figure out fish location quickly?

With a float rig fishing a piece of worm, you already know a panfish will more likely than not bite that piece of worm. So you already eliminate one variable. You don't need to worry about retrieve speed since you are working systematically along an area. You eliminated another variable. A worm is a worm and it has only its natural colour. You eliminated that variable too. You don't need any action to your worm because a fresh piece of worm will wriggle imparting natural motion. 4th variable crossed off...so you are really down to what depth you are fishing, and where fish may be in that piece of structure at that spot. You really just have a couple of factors to figure out at that point.

Remember, the question that you want to answer is "Where is the fish?", so that should your focus; not what size, colour, action, speed of lure. Once you find their location, then go ahead and fish with lures and figure out how to catch them on lures.

If I were to use a lure as a search pattern though, once I somewhat figure out where fish may be, I would use a light jighead (1/16oz to 1/8oz) with a 1-2" twister tail grub or 1-2" tube jig. You can cast that on light line and light rod and work areas quickly. You can let that sink a bit and work it deeper at a slow speed or work it faster closer to the surface.

I only find a storm pond in this area which is located in earl bales park. but I am not sure whether it is allowed to fish there, and whether there are panfishes.

(09-27-2012 05:02 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  If you do want a lure try a small jig. The Panfish love em'. Toogood pond isn't a very good place for Panfish despite it's name Tongue. Try stormwater ponds or lakes those never fail for descent panfish!

Good luck,
Giuga10
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
what's your opinion about this method and drop shot rigs for catching panfishes? this season the fish will be willing to stay at the bottom. using drop shot then I will not worry about the depth of the water, another variable is also removed.

(09-27-2012 05:13 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  You can buy a dozen worms and keep them in the styrofoam container for upwards of 3 months in the fridge. I've them last that long in my fridge.

09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Great reply Muskiebait!

Onwind, you can use Google Maps and to find water close to where you live.

If there are panfish there, the action will be nonstop. Keep searching! Like Muskiebait said, forget artificials and use worms. Then, once you find the fish, you can use whatever you'd like to try Smile.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-27-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 09:41 PM by OldTimer.)
Going back to your original question:

I'd also vote worms as the best start........... if using bait.

For lures - I'd try simple small Mr. Twister style plastics on a lead head jig............. cheap and effective too......... In either Black or white colours.

Between the two you should quickly get info on the snags and possibly catch a few fish.

From there you could change up to other lures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
onwind (09-27-2012)