You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Mitchell 300 XGE or Okuma trio 30s...?
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Mitchell 300 XGE or Okuma trio 30s...?
Torn between picking up a Mitchell 300XGE or trying something new with an Okuma trio 30s.

anyone have either of these reels?

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
RE: Mitchell 300 XGE or Okuma trio 30s...?
I looked at the Okuma Trio 30 and the 30S. The 30S (high speed) has a round spinner on the handle as opposed to a flat oval that most spinning reels have . The OKuma 30 (5:1) has a flat sided oval spinner. A flat side allows you to pump the handle with one finger whereas a round knob is a royal pain in the posterior. A guy with big mitts (like me) has difficulty in grasping the fiddly little knob. One finger versus thumb and fore finger. The 30 looked to be a nice reel
Find all posts by this user
08-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Mike, I will be the first to say that if your intentions are to fish for carp with a reel like an Okuma, you will be buying a new one right away.......if you put it to work that is..........Okuma spinning reels are really poorly machined.......except thier centerpins......the pins are machined well.......... If you are looking for an all around lure chucker than thats probably reasonable reel but I wouldnt touch anything spinning by Okuma for heavy carp angling............just my opinion, I have seen big pit Okumas get destroyed by juvanile carps........

food for thought..... check out carp kit international....... Diawa Regal.........great reels, great price......you can even get the smaller size for both lure chucking and bait running for carps! tell Simon I sent ya......he take care of you....hes from England as well!

Good luck buddy!

Shawn
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BCLT for this post:
MikeH (08-27-2012)
08-27-2012, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 10:08 PM by MikeH.)
(08-27-2012 08:27 PM)BCLT Wrote:  Mike, I will be the first to say that if your intentions are to fish for carp with a reel like an Okuma, you will be buying a new one right away.......if you put it to work that is..........Okuma spinning reels are really poorly machined.......except thier centerpins......the pins are machined well.......... If you are looking for an all around lure chucker than thats probably reasonable reel but I wouldnt touch anything spinning by Okuma for heavy carp angling............just my opinion, I have seen big pit Okumas get destroyed by juvanile carps........

food for thought..... check out carp kit international....... Diawa Regal.........great reels, great price......you can even get the smaller size for both lure chucking and bait running for carps! tell Simon I sent ya......he take care of you....hes from England as well!

Good luck buddy!

Thanks. I was looking for another spinning reel for one of my light setups. I'm guessing mostly panfish and Bass, (but there's always the chance of Carp too) The Okuma 30s has reasonable reviews for the price and has a lot faster retrieve than anything else I have, but the Mitchell has great reviews and I have a couple of Mitchells already.

I have been using a 7000 series Catmax reel for Carp off the end of the Pier ( I built a drop net for the 15ft haul up from the water). It's been like having my own personal fishing pier......Big Grin

Attached File(s) Image(s)

08-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Mike I'd love to hear some stories from the pier! Any bigguns?

[Image: logobgs.png]
08-29-2012, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 02:25 PM by MikeH.)
(08-28-2012 05:38 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Mike I'd love to hear some stories from the pier! Any bigguns?

Don't think that I'm going to post any detail reports just yet....Tongue

Totally enjoying having such an obvious location to myself. I guess no one fishes it because you can't get the fish out of the water without a drop net? I am thinking of putting in an overnighter (or two!) to REALLY see what I can haul in. It is hard hauling big fish up by yourself though, I am thinking of adding knots to the line for better grip.

EDIT* One word of advice.... don't run a slider float rig from the top of the pier at the same time as ledgering an end bait at distance. I got two on at the same time (one Carp and one IDKW), and lost 'em both plus the rig.

08-30-2012, 01:01 PM
(08-29-2012 02:20 PM)MikeH Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 05:38 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Mike I'd love to hear some stories from the pier! Any bigguns?

Totally enjoying having such an obvious location to myself. I guess no one fishes it because you can't get the fish out of the water without a drop net? I am thinking of putting in an overnighter (or two!) to REALLY see what I can haul in. It is hard hauling big fish up by yourself though, I am thinking of adding knots to the line for better grip.

EDIT* One word of advice.... don't run a slider float rig from the top of the pier at the same time as ledgering an end bait at distance. I got two on at the same time (one Carp and one IDKW), and lost 'em both plus the rig.

Mike, you need a hoop net made for pier fishing. Maybe I can pick one up for you around Christmas time if a trip of mine materializes. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
(08-30-2012 01:01 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 02:20 PM)MikeH Wrote:  

Mike, you need a hoop net made for pier fishing. Maybe I can pick one up for you around Christmas time if a trip of mine materializes. Wink

I looked at one while I was in North Carolina, but there was no way to fit it into my suitcase. I purchased a $30 wide mouth net at La Baron's and tied off 50ft of nylon rope. It works really well!

08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Glad it works. Similar idea to a hoop net the way you rigged it up. I just thought a bigger diameter hoop net would help you net a large carp (knowing you get into those mosters Wink ).

$30 net at Le B's...I gotta look for one...since I left my net last time at the river and it went bye-bye...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
(08-30-2012 02:59 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  $30 net at Le B's...I gotta look for one...since I left my net last time at the river and it went bye-bye...

Soak peacefully, Ken's net. I wanted to get the Frabill folding net

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...w&i=403681

The larger version... but it's not carried anywhere anymore... BUMMER!!!

[Image: logobgs.png]